Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 890FX Deluxe4 AM3+ -- IOMMU broken?

Default 890FX Deluxe4 AM3+ -- IOMMU broken?

Hi all,

I know this is an older ASrock board, but I am hoping someone has iommu working with this board. I've tried iommu a couple of ways:

1) Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 with kvm. iommu is picked up & I can assign a device in libvirt (an unused nic, with driver blacklisted on the host) but the vm won't start.
    2) Using Ubuntu normally with IOMMU enabled gives me an endless # of sata resets on the marvell sata controller (2 ports). The other 6 (southbridge based) ports work fine. Disabling IOMMU in the biox fixes the issue completely.
    3) If I try to install Xenserver with IOMMU enabled it reboots in the middle of the install. If I disable it during install & re-enable before first boot, same thing happens.

Should I give up on this board? I wrote to asrock support some time ago (3-4 days) and have heard nothing.

Thank you,

Robert

Edit: I have bios 1.70 which AFAIK is the latest. I'm also using a 1090T 6 core CPU.

Default Re: 890FX Deluxe4 AM3+ -- IOMMU broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Robstarusa View Post
    Hi all,

I know this is an older ASrock board, but I am hoping someone has iommu working with this board. I've tried iommu a couple of ways:

1) Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 with kvm. iommu is picked up & I can assign a device in libvirt (an unused nic, with driver blacklisted on the host) but the vm won't start.
    2) Using Ubuntu normally with IOMMU enabled gives me an endless # of sata resets on the marvell sata controller (2 ports). The other 6 (southbridge based) ports work fine. Disabling IOMMU in the biox fixes the issue completely.
    3) If I try to install Xenserver with IOMMU enabled it reboots in the middle of the install. If I disable it during install & re-enable before first boot, same thing happens.

Should I give up on this board? I wrote to asrock support some time ago (3-4 days) and have heard nothing.

Thank you,

Robert

Edit: I have bios 1.70 which AFAIK is the latest. I'm also using a 1090T 6 core CPU.
    I wrote to ASROCK about this issue and they told me to install Windows. Not happy right now...

synack is offline Member

Default Re: 890FX Deluxe4 AM3+ -- IOMMU broken?

There's not a lot of hardware that is current supported with IOMMU. IOMMU for virtualization is still a bit shaky.
    I see that the chipset is supported however not all Motherboards support it. Obviously newer is better.

wikipedia has this to say about hardware support: IOMMU hardware list - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I would say that short list is fairly accurate and representative.
    Interesting that newer ASRock boards are specifically listed :)

Good luck getting any hardware support under Linux from ANY manufacturer lol... I know, I'm a Linux guy too.

You may have to live without the IO part, or give up on that board and try another.

Syn

Thread Information