Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AS Rock Z77 Extreme4 not recognizing Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC

Zeorn is offline Junior Member

Default AS Rock Z77 Extreme4 not recognizing Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC

I have recently built a new computer and everything works fine other than the connection between my motherboard and graphics card. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard worked with my old graphics card and the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC worked on my old motherboard, but they won't work together. I thought it might be my power supply because I had a larger supply on my old computer, so I swapped the 750W power supply to my new computer and it still didn't work.

I have found similar threads in these forums yet they are either not responded to or if they are the problem is never clearly resolved.
    Example: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...-7850-gpu.html
    One person says he got a replacement graphics card and that fixed the problem, but then another states it was a problem in a switch on the motherboard.

It will recognize the card if I switch the PCIE3 from Auto to Gen1 in UEFI, but that isn't really a solution and it also seems to reset to Auto so you have to keep changing it back.

If both work fine with other motherboard and graphics card then it has to be some compatibility issue between the two that creates this sort of anomaly. Considering the same thing was happening with other similar motherboards I'm thinking it is the Z77 chipset.

Any support to figure out this problem would be appreciated.

kpo6969 is offline Member

Default Re: AS Rock Z77 Extreme4 not recognizing Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC

I run the same board and card with no issues so you may have a defective board.
    GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
    i7-4790K
    Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
    Asus GTX 970 Strix
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Ocz Vector 150 240GB Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Fractal Design R4
    Noctua NH-U14S
    SeaSonic 660XP2
    Creative Extreme Music
    U2412M
    Windows 10 x64 Pro

synack is offline Member

Default Re: AS Rock Z77 Extreme4 not recognizing Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    I have recently built a new computer and everything works fine other than the connection between my motherboard and graphics card. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard worked with my old graphics card and the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC worked on my old motherboard, but they won't work together. I thought it might be my power supply because I had a larger supply on my old computer, so I swapped the 750W power supply to my new computer and it still didn't work.

I have found similar threads in these forums yet they are either not responded to or if they are the problem is never clearly resolved.
    Example: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...-7850-gpu.html
    One person says he got a replacement graphics card and that fixed the problem, but then another states it was a problem in a switch on the motherboard.

It will recognize the card if I switch the PCIE3 from Auto to Gen1 in UEFI, but that isn't really a solution and it also seems to reset to Auto so you have to keep changing it back.

If both work fine with other motherboard and graphics card then it has to be some compatibility issue between the two that creates this sort of anomaly. Considering the same thing was happening with other similar motherboards I'm thinking it is the Z77 chipset.

Any support to figure out this problem would be appreciated.
    From that link you provided, I believe it was determined to be a faulty video card and/or video card firmware. The posters said that a replacement card fixed the issue.

Thread Information