Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock X79 Extreme11 won't boot up - error code 61 nvram initialization

HenryB is offline Junior Member

Unhappy ASRock X79 Extreme11 won't boot up - error code 61 nvram initialization

FYI- I bought my ASRock X79 Extreme11 main board from Newegg and they have no tech support that I can find. I hope you can please help me.
    After installing and connecting all the components I powered-up for the first time but there was no video output. The Dr. Debug display on the mb showed "6 1". According to the user manual this means "error code 61 nvram initialization"
    All the fans came on, the logo on the video card illuminated, the "Power and Reset" buttons on the mb illuminated, and the "cmos reset button on the back illuminated.
    I performed the following troubleshooting steps, powering down and up between each step:
    * removed the RevoDrive
    * tried each of the 3 video card output connectors
    * unplugged WD Velociraptor WD1500DHTZ 150Gb- this drive has Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed-it was removed from another computer where it worked ok.
    * removed evga video card and replaced with a Nvidia Quadro 1700
    * cycled through all the inputs on the monitor-each 1 said "no signal"

Also, I used the front panel Power button to turn the system on, but it would not turn it off. The Rest button worked ok. I had to use the power on/off switch on the PSU to shutdown each time.

If you can help me I will be very grateful. I have built all 5 of my previous systems with no problems. I used to work with and on computers but I retired 6 years ago and have lost contact with all the people I used to troubleshoot with. I'm on my own this time. If you can not help me, could you please tell me where I can find knowledgeable support? Thank you.
    Last edited by HenryB; 10-16-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: to correct a mistake

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 won't boot up - error code 61 nvram initialization

First, your new PC did not only fail to boot, it failed to POST.

What is "Komputerbay 64GB ( 8 X 8GB ) DDR3" memory? Is that who makes it, Komputerbay? It might be some nice, enterprise level memory for all I know, but I do know that you will not find that memory listed in your boards compatible memory list. Also, of the 100+ entries in that list, there are only three entries for 8GB DIMMs.

Current boards and Intel CPUs (with the memory controller on the CPU) cannot be used with whatever memory you choose, it must be compatible with the board and CPU pair. Unless you have specific information from the memory manufacture's tech support that the memory is known to be compatible with this board, it is most likely not compatible.

Also, if you are trying to use all 64GB of memory at once, on the first start of the PC, that is way to much. Try one or at most two DIMMs in the appropriate channels (check the manual) but if that memory is not compatible, meaning tested on the board with a compatible CPU, it probably won't work, giving you that error.

Tech support from Amazon... tech support from Amazon? You could probably get better tech support in the Amazon jungle than from Amazon. A great retailer but it ends there.

Default Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 won't boot up - error code 61 nvram initialization

Thank you PARSEC for your reply. Before I bought the memory I contacted the company and they confirmed that their chips would be compatible with all my components. They said I could return them for a 100% refund if they don't work.

As you suggested though I removed 4 chips but that did not work either. The manual does not say which slots to use if only installing 2x8 chips. Do you know?

Based on a very similar post in another forum relating to an ASRock Z77 with the same symptoms, I replaced the monitor cable with an HDMI cable but that did not work either.

aarizzi is offline Junior Member

First silly question. Have you tried using the clearing the CMOS memory? You should be able to power off, press the rear panel "reset CMOS" button for ~10 seconds and power up. You could also use the jumper on the board as directed in the user manual. The CMOS memory is the NVRAM that is failing to initialize correctly during POST -- your problem could be as simple as that memory being corrupt and needing to be reset.
    If that does not work, that I agree with parsec that your memory is a likely cause. You really should start with just one of your DIMMs installed. I believe you can install it in any of the "1" slots, but you would probably be safest to start with it in the "A1" slot.

I passed on the BIOS/CMOS clear, as it seems this is a brand new build, but that is always good advice.

Yes, there is no suggestion on where to insert one DIMM in the board, the most info available is this:

Due to Intel® CPU spec definition, please install the memory modules
    on DDR3_A1, DDR3_B1, DDR3_C1 and DDR3_D1 for first
    priority. If the four DDR3 DIMM slots above are fully installed, and
    you want to use more than four memory modules, please install the
    other memory modules from left to right (from DDR3_A2, DDR3_
    B2, DDR3_D2 to DDR3_C2.)

I noticed your board has TWO eight pin mother board and CPU power connectors, do you have cables from the PS connected to both of them? Do NOT use PCIe power cables for that purpose, they are not compatible.

I still question the compatibility of that memory, these new platforms are very picky about which memory will work with them. Hopefully it will, but it is very common for that to be a problem. As I wrote earlier, only three 8GB DIMMs are listed as compatible, I would start with one DIMM in only two channels at most, and don't forget channels are marked A B C D, and you must skip a slot to be in the next channel.

Arrow Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11 won't boot up - error code 61 nvram initialization

Good afternoon again parsec and aarizzi.

All good advice. I read all the information in your posts.

I then removed everything from the case and did an external breadboard setup. I removed everything from the mb except the cpu, speaker and cooler. I used the rear panel cmos reset button 3 times, I moved the cmos reset jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 minutes then moved it back. I removed the battery and repeated all these steps and then checked that the battery was charged then put it back in.

With no ram installed I got 3 long beeps, Dr Debug displayed "error code 0x53" = "Memory Initialization error. No usable memory detected"

Then I put 1 chip at a time into slot A1. Each chip generated no beeps, Dr. Debug displayed "error code 61 nvram initialization". I then tried 1 chip in each of the #1 slots with the same result. Then I added a second chip to slot c1, same result.

I then added the video card and 1 memory chip, it was still silent. I removed the memory chip, reset the cmos, again 3 long beeps and error code 0x53.

Unless anyone has more suggestions I'm out of ideas except to buy some new ram.

Over-

If one "chip", or DIMM, does not work, adding more will not help. If the board will not POST with one DIMM installed, the memory is just plain incompatible.

I've never heard of Komputerbay, so I googled them. You might want to read the last post in this thread:

Komputerbay ram?

This one also did not inspire confidence:

Stay away from Komputerbay - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Smile Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11"UPDATE TO" won't boot up - error code 61 nvram initialization

I just received and installed new memory chips from Crucial, BLS4KIT8G3D1609DS1S00 2x 32GB kit (8GBx4), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, and the problem seems to have been resolved. I inserted 1 chip and the system booted into the post/bios setup utility. Unfortunately that is as far as I got because after 1/2 minutes after powering-up I touched the 2 tubes carrying fluid for the H100 pump to the rad and they were too hot to touch. I'll start a new thread for that issue.
    Again I want to thank everyone who responded to my plea for help & hope to be able to repay the favour someday.

aarizzi is offline Junior Member

Glad to hear you got the memory initialization issue resolved. Good luck on the cooling issues.

Cool Re: ASRock X79 Extreme11"UPDATE TO" CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler pump issue

Since my last post about my error code 61 + H100 (CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler) issue, I removed and re-installed the cooling pump using slightly more thermal compound than the initial (supplied) amount. Also, instead of blowing hot air from inside the case, through the rad to the outside, I reversed the setup to blow cool air from the outside, through the rad, into the case. Since then the system has performed better than I ever expected.

Thread Information