Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install

Nice work on your HDD benchmark, takes a while to finish on a HDD, doesn't it. Your alignment is... is... is... what it is.

I decided to try another benchmark after that IME update. A bit disappointing, but it will do...

Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install-crystal-ram-disk1-png

Quote Originally Posted by highcountryrider View Post
    Mr. parsec, I just installed HWiNFO64 as a temperature monitoring tool for use when I run some stress tests. I happened to notice a "parsec" on the forums there. Would that be one and same as the one I am now communicating with? If so, what is your opinion of this program? I've just taken a quick look and it seems to have pretty extensive information on the entire system. Would you recommend it for use while stress testing? I plan to dip my toes into the arcane waters of over clocking for the first time and know that stress testing is a integral aspect of OCing.

This will be my first foray into the world of stress testing. Seems like a good idea to me; pay a lot of money for a new CPU and then try to kill it. My plan is to run the Intel Burn Test and am looking for advice on whether I should also run Prime95. IBT seems to be safer for someone of my limited experience to use.
    Yes, that is me in the HWiNFO forum. As you may have read there, HWiNFO64 is my favorite hardware monitoring program. It may not be as flashy as others, or as well accepted by others (as in music, if it's mainstream, it sux) but I think it's great.

It helped me catch ASUS changing their CPU temp reading (it decreased) after a BIOS update on a P67 mother board. Some users were complaining that while using the UEFI/BIOS, their CPU temp was to high. Huh? Many reasons for that, no CPU power saving options active yet, CPU fan speed may not be right (from being set wrong), etc. So ASUS changed the CPU temp reading to some other sensor that reads about 10C lower at idle. I was getting CPU temps at idle below room temperature, with an air cooled CPU cooler! HWiNFO64 displayed BOTH temps for me, the actual CPU temp, and the inaccurate one ASUS used for display in their own software.

Currently, I can see the Z77 chipset temp (labeled PCH) in HWiNFO, and no one else has that data. Want to see your Samsung 830's temp? Try HWiNFO64, mine are about 26C.

And no need to call me Mr., and Professor is already taken. Some guy in another forum saw that benchmark I posted above, and said I was some kind of freak, getting those results (they are not unusual for those crazy SSDs.) I'm considering changing to parfreak, or Mr. ParFreak.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I obviously was't testing at the beginning of my hdd.
    It looks to me like drive X: is a ram disk.

More P35/wd640 poop:

Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install-cdm-p35-wd640_d-4k-alignedl-results-png

**edit**
    CPUID Hardware Monitor shows Samy's temps as 210 - 270 (C) with ambient temps 660 - 730 (F), which is 5 - 6 degrees cooler than my WD640 HDD. I like the logging features in RealTemp and CoreTemp.
    Last edited by profJim; 10-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Of course it is a RAM drive, the ASRock Z77 boards include a utility that let's you create one very easily. They even let you put your Windows page file in it automatically, and is restored on every boot. You can put your IE or FireFox cache in it too, but that caused FireFox to crash on me over and over.

Your HDD is doing very good, for a HDD of course. It's really the single 4K and higher queue depth results that ruin things for a HDD. Is that in IDE or AHCI mode?

You resemble that remark! A wise guy, huh, nyuck nyuck nyuck... OW!

AHCI mode for my hard drive. I switched to AHCI when I installed my first ssd.
    I moved from win2k to win7 and added my 60GB ssd in late December, 2010.
    The WD640 was my boot drive with win2k.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

More mystery about the Intel ME Interface update. In post #30 (2 days ago) I showed a screenshot of that update being available. Today, checked Windows update and the update for that had disappeared. Checked that it had not been installed automatically but did not see any sign of that. Is this just Windows or Intel messing with my already severely overtaxed brain or is there some other rational explanation?

Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install-windows_update_102412-jpg
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Good question, I don't know. Did you happen to hide that update, as it is called?

Check this out, the PC I installed that IME update on is a new Windows 7 installation, and even with SP1 in the source, I still had 63 "Important" updates to do. I do them manually, selecting a few (~10) at a time. I have a MS mouse that has configuration software, which I noticed in the update list. So I selected that one, and several others. They seemed to download fine, and I was prompted for the usual restart. I did that, but walked away from the PC.

When I returned, the Windows Desktop was displayed fine, but my mouse was dead, the pointer would not move. Ok, plug in a standard wired USB mouse, also made by MS, but nothing, no pointer movement. Many restarts, UEFI clears, and resets later, still no mouse function. Had to start in Safe Mode, but still no mouse, and ran a restore by using the keyboard to navigate. Along the way I noticed the updates were failing to be configured. Even the restore did not work, and I still don't have any kind of mouse function.

I am NOT blaming that on the IME update, but who knows, maybe MS removed it. The PC only went south hours later after applying other updates, including that mouse software. I don't have enough information to blame the IME update, as I know that jumping to simplistic conclusions is usually wrong. I may just install Windows again, mainly due to a likely screwy registry now.

Aren't updates wonderful?

No, I haven't hidden any updates. Usually don't do that until I know which ones I definitely won't use.

Sorry to hear about your update woes. I too, do the updates manually. So far so good. Was just kidding when I suggested that you were being a guinea pig but.....good of you to take one for the team. I think I'll just sort of ignore that update if it shows up again. You know this is one thing about disabling System Restore Points because I'm using an SSD that makes me a little nervous. Need to keep up with my Windows Backup System Images.

Appreciate the responses from you and the Prof. Made this transition a lot easier for me. Might be seeing you down the road when I venture into stress testing and maybe even (dare I say it?) try some OCing.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Might be seeing you down the road when I venture into stress testing and maybe even (dare I say it?) try some OCing.
    Once your start overclocking, you'll never be able to stop.

FINALLY got the mouse issue fixed.

Great story, go to MS's site and find my mouse and find the software for it, correct OS, etc. I see that TWO files are listed, each with a different title, no other information. I've used this mouse before, with no problem, but I don't recall what software I used. Do I use one of them, or both, if one, which one? So I downloaded both and installed the one I thought was right.

On the restart after the install I see something I've never seen before flash up on the screen, something like "Update failed, rolling back...", and it reboots. The PC reboots fine, but then... no mouse again! That is with another, simple, standard USB wired MS mouse, not my fancy one (MS Arc Touch) that I'm trying to install the software for.

I manage to navigate with the keyboard only to Programs and Features to remove the mouse sofware I installed, which supposedly failed, and was "rolled back", but yet is listed among the programs! I uninstalled the program by some miracle, and then my simple USB mouse comes back to life. No reboot, nothing, just uninstalled the program.

I then forged on and ran the other program I downloaded, being the glutton for punishment I am. That one worked... just fine, the fancy mouse woke without a reboot, configuration screen worked, etc.

As a programmer in a former life, I can tell you that software is NEVER 100% right, until it has been used for years (and fixed many times) and has a very strict and well defined set of operations, and is also restricted to a specific function. Even then, a situation can pop up that will take it out! Part of the reason I got out of that business.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information