Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Device Manager - Unknown Device after MB drivers install

Your benchmark scores look fine, quite good really, IMO above average given what I have seen. Scores for a given SSD can vary quite a bit depending on the mother board, SATA controller, SATA driver used, and the state of the SSD. By state of the SSD I mean if it is an OS drive, an empty new SSD, or over half its capacity filled and used for a while. New and empty SSDs will score higher than one with an OS on it, with relatively used and full SSDs after that.

The "trick" of running a thread of Prime 95 while running a benchmark works, but why?

If some or all of the CPU's power saving options are enabled in the BIOS/UEFI, such as in your case for an Intel CPU, SpeedStep, C1E, and C-States, and active due to low CPU load, the benchmark results tend to be lower.

Since disk I/O is not a CPU intensive task at all, the CPU will not switch out of its power saving mode of operation, such as running at 1.6GHz instead of its standard speed (~3.4GHz), when the benchmark is running.

Running an instance of Prime 95 is enough to shift the CPU out of its power saving speed/mode, into its standard, full on mode. The same results can be achieved by disabling the CPU power saving options in the BIOS/UEFI, so the CPU operates fully on constantly. In that case, running the thread of Prime 95 is not necessary, and does nothing.

You can get slightly higher benchmark results by OCing the CPU, with the power saving option disabled. The exact mechanism of why this works is still mysterious to me, but the affect on benchmarks is well known to SSD benchmark freaks.

AS SSD seems to be erratic at times, or is extremely sensitive to whatever else is happening in the PC while it is running. You could ask, why are the sequential speeds down slightly, while the others are mostly up, when the CPU is fully on (running the Prime 95 thread.) I don't know.

You should be pleased with those results, the Access Times are both less than 0.1 millisecond, and you are very close to the absolute maximum speeds your SSD is capable of. Don't forget that at speeds of 400 - 500MB/s, a difference of 40 - 50MB/s is only 10%. Some users complain they "only" get 475MB/s instead of 500MB/s, the magic number that they must have. Try not to go there...

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Post #39 in http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post441060 shows how you can include multiple images in one post by using the Insert Image option by including the web address of the saved images.
    Here's an example where I'm including both of your AS SSD images:

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

@parsec, thanks for the detailed info as usual. As you say, the second benchmark test shows a drop in Sequential Read and Write scores of around 5% with the other scores being higher than the original test. I think I'm going to walk away from this issue for a while. Probably won't benchmark again unless I notice some drop in performance or after I make some major software changes.

My SSD is currently showing 210 GB available and by the time I install the things that I want on it I'll probably be around 150 GB. Might run another test then just to see the effect.

Now on to stress testing the CPU and memory and then tip toeing up to the OCing bar and having a small sip.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

profJIm, thanks for that info. I seem to recall reading that when you posted it but I think the information was stored in some of those brain cells that were killed off earlier in this whole process. Got it now, at least for awhile.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by highcountryrider View Post
    @parsec, thanks for the detailed info as usual. As you say, the second benchmark test shows a drop in Sequential Read and Write scores of around 5% with the other scores being higher than the original test. I think I'm going to walk away from this issue for a while. Probably won't benchmark again unless I notice some drop in performance or after I make some major software changes.

My SSD is currently showing 210 GB available and by the time I install the things that I want on it I'll probably be around 150 GB. Might run another test then just to see the effect.

Now on to stress testing the CPU and memory and then tip toeing up to the OCing bar and having a small sip.
    I don't see any issue at all, and I did forget to make my point about AS SSD. The results are never the same twice. They are always plus or minus 5% to 10% when everything is fine. If things are wrong, the score crashes and you'll really notice it.

I would rather have a SSD operating as it did in the second benchmark, rather than the first, mainly due to the higher 4K read score. The difference between 14MB/s and 22MB/s is over a 50% (of 14) increase. The one area of performance that the 830's are a bit weak on is their 4K read and write speeds. The more the merrier there please!

OMGawd, Microcenter has the 256GB 830 for $149!! That will either make you or

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Quote Originally Posted by highcountryrider View Post
    There you guys go again, showing off. Also, would you both please post in English!
    What's wrong, you don't understand our high tech accents?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    What's wrong, you don't understand our high tech accents?
    Yeah, that's it but I know much more (or less) now than I did a few days ago! Think I will now concentrate on getting this system loaded up with what I need and enjoying it! Appreciate your and parsec's help and patience with a noob asking a bunch of sometimes dumb seeming questions.

Well, HCR, I don't think of you as a noob, or as asking dumb questions. That's because you:

Described your PC completely and accurately.

Your questions had meaning, and needed some answers on the details, not starting from square one (you put some effort into it.)

Did not immediately (or ever) blame something in the PC as the issue, rather than say, "... that XYZ board sux...".

You didn't buy hardware just because it is "cool".

Thanks parsec. I learned pretty early on in this computing thing that if I spent the time researching an issue or a question chances are pretty good I could find the solutions. If not, forums like this, with knowledgeable folk taking the time to help out, would usually get the results I was looking for.

I think we all were in the position at one time or another of needing help and as you and profJim have shown you repay that by helping those that need it. I've also always felt that it not my right to expect answers to my questions but it is my privilege. Blaming others or the equipment for my lack of knowledge as a rule never works.

Very well said HCR! I completely agree.

Feel free to ask whatever, anytime.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information