Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Z77 extreme 3




  1. #11
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    ^^+1^^

    Forgot about that, I always think of the G.SKILL memory I used to use, that was labeled like crazy with sequential serial numbers, so I always knew which DIMMs were from a set.

    Then the opposite extreme is my new Samsung memory, where NO matching is needed or even done by Samsung, a "kit" of two DIMMs had completely different serial numbers! With that crazy memory I can mix single DIMMs with a dual set, the system just doesn't care! The ONLY memory I've ever seen like that!

  2. #12
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    I'm not sure about what your BIOS options are, But I would recommend not running them with their XMP profile, until you get them working.
    The board should auto configure them for some really slow speed like 800(1600) Mhz. If a pair does not show up one of the dimms is probably bad.

    At this point I would insert one DIMM at a time and do a power up test for each. *hopefully* one of them wont power up, and you will know which DIMM is bad and RMA it.

    IF all power up individually, then you have some troubleshooting to do... I would then try upping the speed to the lowest xmp profile available to stress them a little. Then repeat the test for each DIMM.
    Basically the issue is either one DIMM is dead or it's much slower than the others and causing the POST to fail on the pair. Doing the above should isolate out the slow poke, then you can RMA the pair.

    If that STILL doesn't sort it out, you may have a "pairing" issue. Find out which pair by installing them as a single pair only. (eg 11 and 12, then 21 and 22) to see which pair is defunct. Remember to install in A1 and A2 (there should be an empty slot between them)

    IF THAT STILL doesn't isolate the issue, it may be a bad memory slot on the mother board.

    Let us know how that goes, and report back.

    Syn

  3. #13
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    I'm not sure about what your BIOS options are, But I would recommend not running them with their XMP profile, until you get them working.
    The board should auto configure them for some really slow speed like 800(1600) Mhz. If a pair does not show up one of the dimms is probably bad.

    At this point I would insert one DIMM at a time and do a power up test for each. *hopefully* one of them wont power up, and you will know which DIMM is bad and RMA it.

    IF all power up individually, then you have some troubleshooting to do... I would then try upping the speed to the lowest xmp profile available to stress them a little. Then repeat the test for each DIMM.
    Basically the issue is either one DIMM is dead or it's much slower than the others and causing the POST to fail on the pair. Doing the above should isolate out the slow poke, then you can RMA the pair.

    If that STILL doesn't sort it out, you may have a "pairing" issue. Find out which pair by installing them as a single pair only. (eg 11 and 12, then 21 and 22) to see which pair is defunct. Remember to install in A1 and A2 (there should be an empty slot between them)

    IF THAT STILL doesn't isolate the issue, it may be a bad memory slot on the mother board.

    Let us know how that goes, and report back.

    Syn
    sorry all that i havent posted sooner been busy and caught a case of phenomena, i just check out everything you guys said today and post back later this afternoon! thanks again for all the help!

  4. #14
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Quote Originally Posted by helpame View Post
    sorry all that i havent posted sooner been busy and caught a case of phenomena, i just check out everything you guys said today and post back later this afternoon! thanks again for all the help!
    So i had a few spare mins I labeled kit A 11 and kit B 21 my UEFI states when all DIMM slots are full that A1 and B1 are not being seen so i took all the RAM out put back in one set of RAM in A1 and B1 work turned it back on and it says A2 B2 dont have slots which is correct im only using A1 and B1 shut it off put the other set in on A1 B1 and same thing so its not the mother board but when i have all 4 RAM 2 sets of 2 A1 and B1 are still not being detected

  5. #15
    synack's Avatar
    synack is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Quote Originally Posted by helpame View Post
    So i had a few spare mins I labeled kit A 11 and kit B 21 my UEFI states when all DIMM slots are full that A1 and B1 are not being seen so i took all the RAM out put back in one set of RAM in A1 and B1 work turned it back on and it says A2 B2 don't have slots which is correct im only using A1 and B1 shut it off put the other set in on A1 B1 and same thing so its not the mother board but when i have all 4 RAM 2 sets of 2 A1 and B1 are still not being detected
    Well it *could* still be the motherboard. we haven't ruled out if either the a2 or b2 slots are bad.

    I'm not sure how we can test that. anyone got an idea?

    Syn

  6. #16
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    Well it *could* still be the motherboard. we haven't ruled out if either the a2 or b2 slots are bad.

    I'm not sure how we can test that. anyone got an idea?

    Syn
    anyone got any other ideas/

  7. #17
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    well just got home from my deployment still have the same issue only seeing 8 or the 16 GB or RAM... starting from scratch =[

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Quote Originally Posted by helpame View Post
    well just got home from my deployment ......
    Welcome home soldier. Thank you for your service.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  9. #19
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Yes, welcome home and Thank You!!

    The good news is we have a memory compatibility list for your board. The bad news is, your memory is not in it:

    ASRock > Z77 Extreme3

    Very few Patriot models in the list whatsoever, and none in the 2400 speed section. This could explain the failure of all four DIMMs to work together, the more DIMMs there are, the more difficult it is to work with them.

    To confirm, is this your memory: http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...id=1244&type=1

    Ok, starting over, did you ever try all four DIMMs, but just two at a time, in the board?

    That is, you have one pair that works. Fine, take them out and set aside, then put the other two and try those.

    The point is, do you know that all four DIMMs work, although they only do so in pairs?

    Another point which does matter, the A2 and B2 slots should be used first, not A1 and B1.

    Try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after putting all four DIMMs in the board.

    One final, lousy thing to check is for bent pins in the CPU socket. Not easy to see either, and always risky to have them exposed. But given the memory is not in the compatibility list, checking this is not worth doing IMO.

  10. #20
    helpame is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    sd
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Z77 extreme 3

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, welcome home and Thank You!!

    The good news is we have a memory compatibility list for your board. The bad news is, your memory is not in it:

    ASRock > Z77 Extreme3

    Very few Patriot models in the list whatsoever, and none in the 2400 speed section. This could explain the failure of all four DIMMs to work together, the more DIMMs there are, the more difficult it is to work with them.

    To confirm, is this your memory: http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...id=1244&type=1

    Ok, starting over, did you ever try all four DIMMs, but just two at a time, in the board?

    That is, you have one pair that works. Fine, take them out and set aside, then put the other two and try those.

    The point is, do you know that all four DIMMs work, although they only do so in pairs?

    Another point which does matter, the A2 and B2 slots should be used first, not A1 and B1.

    Try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after putting all four DIMMs in the board.

    One final, lousy thing to check is for bent pins in the CPU socket. Not easy to see either, and always risky to have them exposed. But given the memory is not in the compatibility list, checking this is not worth doing IMO.
    Sorry for the late response. I looked at the list that sucks ha, and yes i tried each pair together and one at a time all the RAM works my best bet is to buy new ram i take it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •