Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 - Dropout when streaming

PhyerFly is offline Junior Member

Unhappy P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 - Dropout when streaming

I built a new machine a few months ago and bought the Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 as my mobo from Newegg. I installed Win7 64 bit and it had been working great until a few weeks ago when my Windows update started failing and causing a reboot on every cold boot AND once booted the machine refused to shut down Windows (it would hand on the "shutting down" screen). After trying everything I know how to do, I finally just resorted trying to update the BIOS. I grabbed the latest version from the ASRock site (v 2.20), updated the bios using the windows tool and ended up having to reinstall Windows because afterwards it would blue screen on boot even in safe mode.

Reinstalling Windows which fixed my shutdown problem, but introduced a new one. I use this machine primarily as a gaming machine, but it is also a network share for all my movies and music to the rest of my network. After the reinstall of Windows and installing the drivers from the ASRock website I got everything squared away again, but I noticed that when trying to stream movies from my shared folders on the PC that every 5ish minutes (almost clockwork) the streaming would be interrupted and would have to rebuffer. The setup is pretty simple, shared folder on PC with ASrock mobo and XBMC on another machine on the network connected via ethernet and mapping the folder as a source.

I did some searching on the forums here for an answer and have tried the following:
    1.) Updating to the latest Realtek drivers from their website
    2.) Shutting the machine down and pressing the Clear CMOS button on the back of the mobo.

Neither have solved my problem. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to try next?

Default Re: P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 - Dropout when streaming

Anyone else having this problem? Or has this been solved elsewhere on these forums and I've missed it? Tried to do my homework first

parsec is offline Senior Member

You barely filled in your system specs, so we need to spend time asking about it.

What kind of drive is the streaming source drive? Is it also the OS drive? What SATA mode are you using, which SATA ports and SATA driver?

Have you tried running Resource Monitor, and checking the network and disk tabs when the problem occurs? You might be able to identify if a process is interrupting the network or disk I/O.

It's also possible that the receiving PC is interrupting the data stream. Have you identified which PC is causing the interruption?

Sorry, I came here directly from the ASRock website and didn't know the protocol. Let me try to answer some more questions.

What kind of drive is the streaming source drive?
    The content is being streamed from a Western Digital Green 2TB SATA drive. I checked the SMART readout and the drive looks decent, no red flags, but just in case I ran Spinrite on the maintenance level and defragged the drive.

Is it also the OS drive?
    No, the OS drive is a Hitachi 1 TB Sata drive. Also defragged and ran Spinrite maintenance on.

What SATA mode are you using, which SATA ports and SATA driver?
    I have the drives in IDE mode, but after reading your post realized I didn't have the sata driver installed. I went and grabbed the latest Marvell SATA3 driver from the asrock site version 1.0.0.1047. Here's hoping that fixes it.

Have you tried running Resource Monitor, and checking the network and disk tabs when the problem occurs? You might be able to identify if a process is interrupting the network or disk I/O.
    I haven't tried running the resource monitor when I'm streaming to see where the bottleneck is, but I did notice the drive copy speed dropped to < 200k/s once when I was just moving files to the streaming drive - that's what prompted me to try a drive defrag and run Sprinrite.

It's also possible that the receiving PC is interrupting the data stream. Have you identified which PC is causing the interruption?
    I've reproduced this problem with three different streaming clients on my network.

1. An old VAIO Pentium 4 all-in-one PC that is connected via ethernet and running XBMC.
    2. My Playstation 3 which is connected via to a second N router set up as a wireless bridge and streams over DLNA/UPnP with Ps3MediaServer app running on my Gaming PC.
    3. A VAIO TZ laptop connected wirelesss

I'll run some more tests tonight with the new SATA driver and resource monitor and see if it persists. Thanks for the help

parsec is offline Senior Member

There's a clue, the Marvell SATA III chipset, which really does not provide full SATA III speeds, due to it being connected to one PCIe lane, at 5Gb/s max. How many drives do you have connected to the Marvell chipset? They are also not known for great stability, which does depend upon the driver used with it, somewhat. But, HDDs will not even reach full SATA II speeds.

You have a driver on the Marvell chipset now, as it would not work without it. If you can, set the Marvell SATA chipset to AHCI mode in the BIOS, which will provide better performance than IDE. When you reboot after doing that, Windows 7 will install it's own AHCI driver, msahci. You can then install the Marvell driver, but the older versions are not very good, and the one on your boards download page is likely old. You would be better off using the Windows msahci driver. You can try both and see how it goes.

Are you using the Intel SATA III ports on your board? They will perform much better than the Marvell (kinda, sorta, not really) SATA III ports. Using IDE mode for your drives limits their performance, AHCI mode is much better. But, once you installed your OS in IDE mode, you cannot just change to AHCI mode, as the PC will BSOD when you reboot. There is a registry change/hack that can be done to switch to AHCI mode when the OS was installed in IDE mode, that you can Google for the details.

Actually, what drives are connected to what SATA ports on that PC? The OS drive in particular. Are you using all of the Intel SATA ports now?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Are you using the Intel SATA III ports on your board? They will perform much better than the Marvell (kinda, sorta, not really) SATA III ports. Using IDE mode for your drives limits their performance, AHCI mode is much better. But, once you installed your OS in IDE mode, you cannot just change to AHCI mode, as the PC will BSOD when you reboot. There is a registry change/hack that can be done to switch to AHCI mode when the OS was installed in IDE mode, that you can Google for the details.

Actually, what drives are connected to what SATA ports on that PC? The OS drive in particular. Are you using all of the Intel SATA ports now?
    I just checked the manual and looked at my board. I'm actually not using the Marvell SATA3 ports at all, I'm using the Intel ports.

Drives are configured like this:
    SATA3_0 - OS Drive (SATA2 - Hitachi Desktar HDT72101)
    SATA3_1 - Media Drive (SATA3 - Western Digital WD20EARX)

I popped open resource manager and noticed that Music Manager (the Google Music uploader) was using 100% of my disk capacity. Looks like it got stuck on a song and just kept trying to rescan my music collection over and over. I uninstalled it until I can figure out this problem.

I Googled the registry hack to enable AHCI after already installing Win 7 in IDE mode, rebooted into UEFI and switched both the Intel and the Marvell SATA ports to AHCI. Everything booted up great, and I've been running some large file copy tests between drives. I'm getting speeds between 100 and 40 MB/s, which seems better than what I had before.

I'm going to test the streaming with the drive in AHCI mode and the Music Manager uninstalled for a day or two and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks again!

Ok, scratch that. I just tried copying the same file, an 8 GB AVI file, back and forth between the drives and no I'm getting speeds below 10MB/second with a projected copy completion time of an hour. I haven't changed anything since my last post, no reboot, no driver changes, no new programs launched.

What the hell is going on here?

Thread Information