Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 - BIOS update without windows

Default ASRock Fatal1ty P67 - BIOS update without windows

Hi all,

You are all going to laugh at me for this, but I bought a bunch of parts to build a new gaming PC, based on Toms $1000 build, without realizing that the factory BIOS wouldn't recognize the i5-3570K Ivy Bridge, out of the box. Looking at ASRocks site, I need BIOS version 2.10, but according to a sticker on my motherboard I have P 1.30-15B. The strange thing is, I get error code 55, no memory... but I have tried my 3 memory sticks (I ordered a 12 gig set, not fully understanding the dual channel thing, but figured it would be fine) in all the slots, in every configuration, but to no avail. And I somehow doubt all 3 sticks are bad. I'm thinking it's this processor thing that is keeping it from booting. To complicate things, I don't have any other memory or processors to try, and I can't update the BIOS because I can't get it to post. Anyone have any ideas? I would love a way to flash the BIOS without needing the installer... maybe a jumper I could set, and restart holding some button down with the firmware on a flash drive. Am I just dreaming?

PS(I know the ram is not on the list of compatible memory, but somehow I doubt Toms Hardware would recommend buying that ram for this build if they couldn't get their motherboard to recognize it)

Thanks in advance!!

Travis

synack is offline Member

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 - BIOS update without windows

WOW that seriously sucks. Contact ASRock tech support and see if they would be nice enough to send you an updated BIOS.

Also, you will need to either install only 2 of the 3 dimms or pickup a 4th. I don't think it'll run on 3. Even if it did, you would be dropped to single channel which effectively halves your speed.
    You wont be able to flash your BIOS without a CPU, so if it won't pickup the CPU. You are hooped without getting an updated bios.

Syn

Thanks for the input. I have a 4th dimm ordered from newegg, and I have an email in to ASRock tech support. We will see what they say. In the mean time, I might be able to snag a used Celeron off ebay cheap, that is supported by my BIOS version. If that doesn't work, than the memory error must be unrelated... hopefully that's not the case. Thanks again,

Travis

WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member

It's the bios, not your memory. I can't believe that Asrock still ships these with a bios that's almost a year and a half old. Unless they actually quit manufacturing them a year ago. When I bought mine in May, I went with an SB chip, just to avoid the hassle. Not much difference in performance anyways.

And three sticks will work fine (so will one), just not in dual channel. You'd probably never notice the difference, unless benchmarking.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You might be better off by paying $15 to ASRock to send you a pre-flashed bios chip for your Ivy Bridge processor.
    I think that they should send it to you for free, it won't hurt to ask.
    ASRock > Support Request Form
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I had exactly the same problem; Also with an Ivy Bridge chip. I contacted ASRock and they were quick to respond and let me know that they would send an updated BIOS to me. It's been almost two weeks, and nothing yet, so I'm hoping it will show up any day. They didn't mention anything about cost, so I assumed there would be none.

Plan B is to throw in an older Sandy Bridge just to flash the BIOS, but probably like you, I'd like to avoid this extra hassle and cost.

Andrew

Success! I just thought I'd post a follow up. The new ASRock BIOS chip arrived at no cost me. After installing it, I was up and running.

I actually have a second updated BIOS chip because I emailed ASRock and told them that it hadn't arrived yet, so they sent it again... and both arrived! So if you want one, I let me know and I can send it you you.

Andrew

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Thanks for your update, glad to hear that everything is now OK.

Quote Originally Posted by ap-alexander View Post
    Success! I just thought I'd post a follow up. The new ASRock BIOS chip arrived at no cost me. After installing it, I was up and running.

I actually have a second updated BIOS chip because I emailed ASRock and told them that it hadn't arrived yet, so they sent it again... and both arrived! So if you want one, I let me know and I can send it you you.

Andrew
    *-*-*-*-**-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Hi Andrew you have PM...could use that chip as i just my Fatal1ty mb in mail yesterday from Newegg and have same issue with bios. :)

Thread Information