Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New install. Getting black screen with cursur after the "windows loading" screen

Default New install. Getting black screen with cursur after the "windows loading" screen

So I just installed a new Asrock Extreme z77 4 MOBO with a i5-3570k chip. 16 gigs of new DDR3 GSKILL RAM. Decided to do a clean wipe of my only hard drive and reinstall windows. Everything booted up fine, loaded the desktop, and at that time I inserted the MOBO install disk and "installed everything." Following a reboot that was automatic I can now get to the windows screen, but I can't get to the login or the desktop. My screen is black with a non-blinking cursor. I can move the cursor around and even ctl+alt+del and show the task manager screen. Everything else is black. I've tried numerous reboots, reboots to safe-mode (same result), and even the on-board videocard. No dice. Bios shows everything is working. Ram has the right timing and voltage (9-9-9 1.5).

Occasionally I get a screen that pops up for c:\windowsystem32\winsat.exe that runs a bunch of code.... Still black, just with a cdos type box.

Really strange stuff..

2.0 is the driver that is installed in the bios screen.
    Last edited by ugadawg; 11-03-2012 at 09:01 AM.

najiro is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New install. Getting black screen with cursur after the "windows loading" screen

That's weird. That happened to me once when the OS install was interrupted. Try to reinstall your OS. Ar you using windows 7 or 8?
    Website Broker and Hardware Reviewer

Default Re: New install. Getting black screen with cursur after the "windows loading" screen

Using 7. It's strange b/c I can get to the task manager and even try installing video drivers from a CD, but it's taking like an hour to install (if it even gets there). Check it out.

hmmmm so it is slow? can you install and run cpu-z? or check dxdiag.exe to see if all cores are activated. If not, you need to enable all cores at the bios. Also, check if winsat.exe is running. You can disable that at the task scheduler.

So I'm reinstalling windows as we speak. Interestingly enough, when I went to delete the partition and reformat it, I got some error message about MBR partitions and EFI. Something about windows being unable to install on this partition. I deleted all partitions and have begun the process again.

I wasn't able to install anything. I tried to do the nvidea drivers but it took 30 minutes and I didn't get anywhere with it. That picture in the install GUI actually changed a few times and showed a bunch of scenes from WOW. Sigh. wtf is going on here.

unable to install??? Is that a new hard disk? That's bad... that usually the alert message when installing OS to a damaged hard disk (having bad sectors). Symptoms are also the same, slow startup.. cannot access certain files then "read and write" capability is really slooooow since it is a damaged disk. If you have HD tune or HD sentinel, you can check the health status of the hard drive.

The HD was fine at 4pm EST today. I have another HD laying around that I'll resort to if this fails. My SSD is in the mail. It's strange that I made it to the desktop only to fail after using the Asrock install disk...

that's weird. the install could have probably ruin the drivers. it was running normally before that? you're re-installing right? maybe you need to install the essential drivers next time and skip the others.

So the next installation worked. I'm on the desktop. Was able to install the nvidea drivers and pop around through file explorer at a good speed. Popped the ****ing Asrock disk in an "installed everything." After a series of reboots I got to a windows registry update (46 of 46!). Following that next automatic reboot I am back to a black screen with a movable cursor. There must be something in the Asrock disk that is killing my efforts to get going....

Here's a virtual tour!

Fresh new install

Preparing to install drivers from CD

After Reboot

Waiting....

After another reboot. Sat here for 5 minutes.

After the 5 minutes. Sat on ME install for 15 minutes before I stopped the process.

:( im out of ideas. generally you would run your PC without installing the drivers. Devices will run as "generic" devices. I hope one of the asrock representatives here reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information