Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: "This utility is not for this platform" Error installing drivers

Exclamation "This utility is not for this platform" Error installing drivers

I am running a Windows 7 Guest VM over z77 Extreme4 motherboard using ESXi 5.1. When I try to install the drivers that came with motherboard, the setup pops an error "This utility is not for this platform"
    and quits.

I tried searching everywhere but to no avail. I tried adding "To be filled by O.E.M" as a model in Setup.ini on the cd. Still got the same error. Any help would be useful.

Here is my System Info:

1. Host Name: xxxx
    2. OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    3. OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    4. OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    5. OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    6. OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    7. Registered Owner: Pilot
    8. Registered Organization:
    9. Product ID: 00126-233-0559372-65171
    10. Original Install Date: 10/9/2012, 10:10:3 AM
    11. System Boot Time: 11/3/2012, 3:20:45 AM
    12. System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    13. System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    14. System Type: x64-based PC
    15. Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    16. [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 Genuine Int-
    17. el ~3400 Mhz
    18. BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00, 6/22/201
    19. Windows Directory: C:\Windows
    20. System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
    21. Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    22. System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
    23. Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
    24. Time Zone: (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
    25. Total Physical Memory: 2,048 MB
    26. Available Physical Memory: 1,272 MB
    27. Virtual Memory: Max Size: 4,095 MB
    28. Virtual Memory: Available: 3,336 MB
    29. Virtual Memory: In Use: 759 MB
    30. Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
    31. Domain: WORKGROUP
    32. Logon Server: \\xxxx
    33. Network Card(s): 1 NIC(s) Installed.
    34. [01]: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Conn
    35. Connection Name: Local Area Conne
    36. DHCP Enabled: Yes
    37. DHCP Server: 192.168.5.1
    38. IP address(es)
    39. [01]: 192.168.5.101
    Last edited by RamHDD; 11-05-2012 at 08:31 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: "This utility is not for this platform" Error installing drivers

Sorry to say, This utility is not for this platform is rather vague, given all the drivers and utilities on this boards disk. I assume you are using the disk that came with the board, and you have not downloaded them from the boards page.

But I think I see what the problem is, and is not a problem at all, if I'm correct.

You have an Intel PRO/1000 network card (nice, aren't they?) installed, and have the on board BroadCom network chip disabled? This board includes the (CFos) ASRock XFast LAN Utility, which is no doubt locked down for use only with this board and the BroadCom chip. It sees the Intel NIC during the installation, and quits.

If you don't think that is the situation, then we need more information, such as what utility is failing to install.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Sorry to say, This utility is not for this platform is rather vague, given all the drivers and utilities on this boards disk. I assume you are using the disk that came with the board, and you have not downloaded them from the boards page.

But I think I see what the problem is, and is not a problem at all, if I'm correct.

You have an Intel PRO/1000 network card (nice, aren't they?) installed, and have the on board BroadCom network chip disabled? This board includes the (CFos) ASRock XFast LAN Utility, which is no doubt locked down for use only with this board and the BroadCom chip. It sees the Intel NIC during the installation, and quits.

If you don't think that is the situation, then we need more information, such as what utility is failing to install.
    Thanks for your reply. I am using the CD that accompanied my motherboard.

Actually I can't install any drivers. Not even USB 3.0 drivers. The mail setup during autorun quits with that message "This utility is not for this platform". So if I try to manually install specific drivers by clicking on accompanied exe's inside the folders, I get the same error.

Regarding the Intel ethernet card, I think Vmware ESXi is faking it. Let me try spoofing the mac address to BroadCom and see if the CD works.

Are you sure you want all the... stuff on that disk? You really must do the Chipset (inf) file installation first, then Intel Management Engine, before all else. Then the Intel USB 3.0 driver, etc.

synack is offline Member

UM.. you are running your windows 7 under vmware...

VMWare (and most other hypervisors) abstract the physical hardware with virtual hardware. You will not be able to run the ASRock software under a guest, no way, no how.
    If you look at your guest "hardware", it'll be mostly "vmware" manufacturer.

Yikes, I missed that synack, good call, allow me to say, Duh!

Thread Information