Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Internal SATA HD seen as removable

Default Internal SATA HD seen as removable

Hi,

I just bought a 970DE3/U3S3 motherboard in order to build a new PC. Other components are an Athlon II X2 270 processor, an ATIS Radeon HD 5450 video card, 2 * 2 GB Crucial DDR3 and a SATA 3 WD Caviar Blue HD. I'm running Windows XP pro SP3.

This HD is seen as removable and an icone appears in systray allowing to eject it, that I obviously doesn't need. I changed BIOS setting from AHPI to IDE in both SATA and SATA 3 options but the icone is still there.

I picked up from the web a registry value has to be added (DisableRemovable) but I don't know in which key in my case. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\..... ?

Any suggestion to solve this problem will be appreciated.

Heffgé

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Internal SATA HD seen as removable

This is related to the Hot Plug feature, and the way the SATA chipset functions with Hot Plug. Changing from AHCI to IDE won't fix this for you.

Start Device Manager from Control Panel, open Disk drives, select the drive and click the Policies tab. You should see a Quick Removal option, with a check next to it, which you want to un-check.

But, it depends what SATA controller the drive(s) are connected to. Your board has two, the AMD and the ASMedia. The ASMedia may not allow you to disable the Eject drive from the tray icon. I'm not sure how the AMD SATA chipset will react, or if your drive is even connected to it.

I already checked in the Device Manager. There's not such an option for my drive. It's a WD50 00AAKX-003CA and it's connected to one of the two SATA 3 connectors.

But your suggestion leaded me to have a glance at Asmedia controller properties. Here was the Quick Removal option. I desabled it and now it's fine.

Thanks a lot.

Heffgé

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad it worked for you. I wonder if it's different on an AMD platform, on Intel platforms you see that option for each drive. But, it doesn't always work. It must depend on the driver being used, ASMedia or msahci. Yet another detail to remember...

Thread Information