Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Pro4-M - new INF driver update?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Z77 Pro4-M - new INF driver update?

I was being sarcastic with the "excruciatingly detailed tutorial" comment.
    It sounds like xFastRAM's settings might not be adjustable in order to make it simple to use and idiot proof.
    There might be a back door approach if there is a file with an INI extension in the same folder as the xFastRAM folder.
    Parsec can check his windows registry to see if there are any preset xFastRAM entries that deal with the default 50% swapfile size.

Honestly that makes absolutely no sense to me. Swap RAM to RAM?!?!
    The swapfile is virtual memory that exists on your ssd or hdd.
    By moving the swapfile to a ram disk, reads and writes to the swapfile are much faster.
    Do a simple test, set your swapfile's location to the slowest usb 2.0 flash drive that you have and for good measure, change the window's TEMP and TMP environment variables to the flash drive too. Better yet, use a rewritable CD instead of the flash drive.
    How slow can you go?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    Honestly that makes absolutely no sense to me. Swap RAM to RAM?!?! Why on earth would you ever want to do that? If you have the RAM you don't need to swap... if you don't have the RAM, no RAM to swap to...
    Unless the RAM drive pre-allocates the memory, even if it's not being used. but in that case, swapping out RAM to RAM would produce page faults and would REDUCE overall system performance.

Syn
    My apologies Syn but not sure exactly what you mean. I am new to this idea of a RAM drive and as I understand it I will be using the unused RAM on my system (usually at least 3 GB) to store the pagefile, browser cache and temp files for system and user. Are you saying that is not a good thing to do, especially if I'm using a SSD as my primary drive? Appreciate any clarification.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

A web search using ram disk will provide links that explain the advantages of using a ram disk and how it works.
    An excellent starting point is RAM drive - Wikipedia
    Keep in mind that you still need a "reasonable" amount of ram for your system to operate optimally.
    You wouldn't want to use a 6GB ram disk when you have 8GB of physical ram installed.
    Happy reading.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    I was being sarcastic with the "excruciatingly detailed tutorial" comment.
    It sounds like xFastRAM's settings might not be adjustable in order to make it simple to use and idiot proof.
    There might be a back door approach if there is a file with an INI extension in the same folder as the xFastRAM folder.
    Parsec can check his windows registry to see if there are any preset xFastRAM entries that deal with the default 50% swapfile size.
    I have checked the AXTU installation folder and there isn't any INI file at all. BTW profJim, I resemble that remark about simple to use and idiot proof.
    Last edited by highcountryrider; 11-07-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Thumbs up Re: Z77 Pro4-M - new INF driver update?

I resemble that remark about simple to use and idiot proof.
    Ignorance is not a sin.....stupidity is!!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."
    You've been asking excellent questions in your threads.
    Clearly you know your limitations and appreciate the wisdom of seeking help before your system gets upgemucked**

**Sorry for using yet another high tech term.

You've proven that you are NOT a member of any of the following clubs:
    PEBKAC ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair")
    PEBCAK ("Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard")
    PICNIC ("Problem In Chair Not In Computer")
    PIBCAK ("Problem Is Between Chair And Keyboard")
    ID-10T error ("Idiot error")
    User error - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Ignorance is not a sin.....stupidity is!!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."
    You've been asking excellent questions in your threads.
    Clearly you know your limitations and appreciate the wisdom of seeking help before your system gets upgemucked**

**Sorry for using yet another high tech term.

You've proven that you are NOT a member of any of the following clubs:
    PEBKAC ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair")
    PEBCAK ("Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard")
    PICNIC ("Problem In Chair Not In Computer")
    PIBCAK ("Problem Is Between Chair And Keyboard")
    ID-10T error ("Idiot error")
    User error - Wikipedia
    profJim, one thing I have always known is my limitations! I've sort of made the jump now from just wanting a system that works well to taking control and tweaking it to maximize performance. Obviously, the majority of that is because it is my system; I've built it. That means I got to choose what went into it and now how to set it up. While that's the good part, it's also the scary part. My appoach: baby steps and ask a lot of quetions.

I used to think I knew a fair amount about computers. I am smart enough to know now how little that actually was. Hang in there with me prof and please let me know when I'm about go down in flames.
    Last edited by highcountryrider; 11-07-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling, thans profJim!

"limitions" are one thing, limitations are a whole 'nother thing.
    Don't feel bad, FireFox underlines my misspellings while I'm writing a post and I still don't catch them all.
    The problem you're having is what we all go through when learning new things; for every answer we get, we then have several new questions questions. parsec and synack can best assist you with overclocking because they have first hand experience with ASRock systems. Even when I think that I know the answer, I usually try not to advise unless I have first hand experience and can try out some settings on my equipment. I'll be watching from the sidelines and butting in from time to time when I have something to further confuse you and others with the facts.

With an Ivy Bridge cpu and mobo, getting to about 4.40GHz stable should be fairly easy. The main barrier to reaching the upper 4GHz range is when cpu temperatures rise very quickly as you apply more voltage. You can search the web for ASRock Ivy Bridge overclocking guides or tutorials to start to learn some of the basics. Sin0822 has posted some outstanding Gigabyte z77 motherboard reviews that include overclocking suggestions. Don't get hung up in all the details, the important thing is to understand the main concepts. Some of the terminology will be different, but it's similar to the difference between American and Canadian English.

I'm sure that synack will be commenting on my last sentence.
    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    Honestly that makes absolutely no sense to me. Swap RAM to RAM?!?! Why on earth would you ever want to do that? If you have the RAM you don't need to swap... if you don't have the RAM, no RAM to swap to...
    Unless the RAM drive pre-allocates the memory, even if it's not being used. but in that case, swapping out RAM to RAM would produce page faults and would REDUCE overall system performance.

Syn
    (HCR, the following is an example of the "experts" discussing a subtle detail (HA!) that one of them noticed that could negate the need and advantage of doing something (putting the pagefile on a RAM Disk), and another realizing he is right, but then explains the motivation for doing so, while hoping that goal remains worth while.)

Syn, what you are saying is correct, if I understand your statement, which IMO needs this preface: A Windows pagefile, which is normally a file on a disk, is/can be used as a replacement for a lack of system/RAM memory on a PC. BTW, yes, the RAM drive pre-allocates the memory.

If so I see your point, which is, why reduce the amount of system memory available, by creating a RAM disk, which then potentially could cause the need for a program to use a pagefile as replacement memory.

To top that all off, we then put the pagefile in the RAM disk (which would be unnecessary if we had not created the RAM disk in the first place), and the OS must perform the extra work of reading the pagefile on the RAM Disk, instead of just directly using system memory in the first place!

As I'm sure you know, putting the pagefile on the RAM Disk is done to prevent the pagefile from being created on a SSD OS drive, to reduce the writes performed on the SSD. That of course is part of the "wear out my SSD" paranoia that still exists among many SSD users (including myself), as well as the "you must have a pagefile!" warning that haunts those that want to get rid of it.

When the actual usage of a pagefile as pseudo-memory is started is unknown to me, as in what threshold or situation causes it to begin. I have 16GB of RAM, and even with a 4GB RAM Disk, rarely use more than 50% of that 16GB. So I don't see myself causing the situation you described. HCR has 8GB, so using 4GB of it for a RAM Disk does increase the potential for the situation you described to occur. That is at least partially why Prof. Jim suggested creating a smaller RAM Disk, IMO.

There are other side affects of putting the pagefile on a RAM Disk, such as the loss of storing the memory image when a system crash/BSOD occurs, which Windows would read from the pagefile on the next startup, if the RAM Disk is not backed up.

HCR, no harm done so not to worry, at worst you might lose a few milliseconds, and use a few extra microwatts of power. And as always, "experts" are only human...

synack is offline Member

I see your point on not wanting the swap on SSD.
    But, how many writes happen to a page file if you have little to no memory contention? I can't image very many.

I understand that the page file is to free up inactive RAM to make more room for active RAM. Which of course is really only an issue when memory is in contention. Yes, I do know that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, force swap out parts of the system and will have issues if it can't. Real dumb if you ask me... But Microsoft never seems to lol...

I just still don't like the idea of putting the pagefile in RAM. page faults, context switches, yuck... if it were me running windows, (thankfully not! haha) I would configuring the RAM drive and subsequent page file as small as possible. I think 4/2GB of 16GB in your case parsec, would be my upper limit. With 8GB of RAM I'd be reluctant to size it at 2/1GB and would probably try for 1/.5GB.

Windows is a pig with RAM, add to that file caching in memory, DLL preloads (even worse if you have MS office installed), and you have burnt through 2-4GB of RAM.

My opinion is that if you NEED a swap file, You need RAM.

Anyway.. sorry to sidetrack the thread here. It's just that when I saw the SWAP on x: (ramdrive), my first reaction was WHAAAAAT?!?!?! lol

Syn

parsec is offline Senior Member

Syn, I totally agree with you, I'm glad you brought up that topic, since it got me thinking about the relevance of it all.

Frankly, I could care less about the pagefile existing at all, but you mentioned the reality of it in Windows. I've run PCs without one at all for weeks, no problem.

That 2GB pagefile is what the ASR utility sets up by default, and I haven't played with it, but HCR said it has a mind of it's own when creating the pagefile size... or is that Windows too... hmm...

The most enjoyable usage I get from the RAM Disk is, I set it as my download target drive. So I download a driver or program installation file right into memory. Then run it from there, now that is fast! Can't really do that with really big files, but otherwise works great. Copy the file to disk if I want to save it.

Thanks for tolerating us Windozers...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information