Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 error code 55 "MEMORY NOT INSTALLED"

Question ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 error code 55 "MEMORY NOT INSTALLED"

I bought all my computer hardware back in March and had good luck with it...for about 6 months. It started behaving as follows on September 11th.

After installing Battlefield 3 it just blue screened, turned itself on and off several times, then went to the safe-mode start option screen. It blue screend another time and managed to write down this code (0x000000D1) 0xFFFFF7FFFB30EE23, 0X000000000000000002, 0X000000000000000008.

I thought it was the motherboard at first so I RMA'd that with ASRock and Stephanie. Once I got the new board back and everything reinstalled it behaved EXACTLY the same way as before. I then RMA'd the RAM (Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ @ 1.5V). Installed new RAM and computer ran fine for a couple hours, long enough to install Windows7 and set everything up, then it blue screened. I installed each RAM stick in each slot and found out that it would run fine on one stick in slot B2. Thats what made me buy another set of RAM after looking more closely at the compatibility list on the ASRock site.

I then got onto live chat with Intel, answered their questions about settings, overclocking, and memory used. I told them that I set the overclock at 3.9 GHZ, used the Corsair and ADATA Extreme Gaming RAM (10-11-10-27 CL-11) @ 2000 MHZ. They told me I was using incompatible RAM and I needed to use 1066 MHZ or 1333 MHZ @ 1.5V.

Long story short; everything but the power supply and video card has been RMAd and replaced. I now have ADATA AD3U1333W8G9-B (16GB, 1333 MHZ, 1.5V) and the computer still will not run on more than one stick in B2 slot. I dont think the problem is strictly a hardware issue because of replacing everything and flashing the BIOS. There is something in the settings that I'm missing and dont understand. I set the DRAM voltage to 1.5 and speed to 1066 MHZ with no success.

Is there a way to "FORCE" they system to run in dual channel mode and not give me the 55 error code?

Just turned it on with a single 8GB stick installed in slot B1. The A slots do not work and cause the error to occur.

I apologize if my narrative is a bit difficult to follow; I didnt really create an outline before I wrote this.

Computer will run with both B1 and B2 slots populated in single channel mode. I thought you were supposed to run one stick in each channel?
    Last edited by RPM (X1000); 11-09-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: More troubleshooting

Default Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 error code 55 "MEMORY NOT INSTALLED"

I have a similar problem with this motherboard, solution was to change RAM to Kingston HyperX 16gb.

Quote Originally Posted by MajsterQ View Post
    I have a similar problem with this motherboard, solution was to change RAM to Kingston HyperX 16gb.
    I just bought new RAM (obviously not Kingston). Anything special about the Kingston vs the ADATA?

Maybe RAM that you bought is incompatible with your mb. Do you check it Z68 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc. before buy a new ram?

Quote Originally Posted by RPM (X1000) View Post
    I just bought new RAM (obviously not Kingston). Anything special about the Kingston vs the ADATA?
    they have different chips, timings, power consumption, etc.
    Last edited by MajsterQ; 11-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Were it me, I'd pull it from the case and bench test it on something non-conductive. Just the MB/CPU/Cooler, one vid card, the psu, and 1 stick ram.

Also, what psu? Voltages both at the wall/power strip/battery backup, and monitored via the MB either in BIOS or sw utility ok?

And while it might sound stupid, ignorant and or not applicable replace the CMOS battery and perform a long Clear BIOS to it while the CMOS battery is out. For reasons unknown the fresh batt and long clear have saved my tail once or twice over the years.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

RPM, It would help everyone if you filled in your system specs as is really required for anyone requesting support. Doing so saves so much time, for example, we don't even know what CPU you are using, as well as PS, OS drive, etc.

It looks like your A-DATA memory is in the Memory Compatibility List for your board, although the listing is for 8GB DIMMs, and I'm not sure what you are using. See what I mean?

Parsec,
    I'm using two of those DIMMs (16GB) total. I filled out the profile page with my computer specs twice and it said "Thanks for your profile" and redirected me to somewhere. But if its helpful then I can put it here too:

-ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 Bios 2.30
    -ADATA AD3U1333W8G9-B (16GB)
    -Intel i5 2500K @3.5 GHZ
    -Coolermaster SilentPro 1000W
    -Galaxy GTX560 GC 2GB (Factory Clock)
    -Western Digital Velociraptor 600GB 32MB cache
    -Intel SSD 520 Series 60GB (Cache drive)
    -Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

Running everything normally off the mechanical HDD and the SSD is being used as a cache drive (the SRT). I've tried clear CMOS, swapping the RAM to A1/B1, A2/B2, A1/B2, A2/B1 just in hopes something could just be wired wrong on the board but still work in dual-channel mode. The RAM was listed on ADATA's site as compatible and the tech rep from Intel says that the ram needs to operate at 1333MHZ. I thought I would have it made if I just matched the specs. I'm so new to building computers and everything is never in just one place. You'll have to excuse my ignorance and take me to school over this stuff.

I POSTed the system before installing it back into the case, but probably with just one stick, I dont remember exactly how I did it. I have a power supply tester and it indicated that everything was within spec. I will remove the battery and place the jumper onto the clear CMOS pins. Can you please tell me what problems you were having and how clearing everything fixed the problem?

Another thing I failed to mention is at times it would in fact run in dual channel mode...but for only a limited time. One instance it ran normally for about 2 hours and then blue screened, another it would boot up and while at the Windows screen when the graphics start moving around the flag the system would again blue screen. I was running a set of ADATA XPG memory and it was running with RAM installed in both A2 and B2; the BIOS did not recognize it in A2 but CPU-Z did and also indicated the system was in single channel mode.

Moral of the story is that when configured for dual channel mode the computer will either blue screen or just give error code 55 "Memory Not Installed." Runs with no noticeable problems in single channel mode (except that my WEI for storage went from 6.4 to 5.9).

Would using an older BIOS version that doesnt support Ivy Bridge be a good idea? Its the only thing I havent tried yet...
    Last edited by RPM (X1000); 11-19-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information