Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H77M-ITX no post

Exclamation H77M-ITX no post

I have just built aITX machine using:

ASRock H77M-ITX motherboard
    i5 2400 CPU
    16GB (2x8GB) Komputerbay DDR3 1600
    350W BeQuiet PSU

I have other components but none are plugged in at the moment!

ASUS GTX 550Ti 1GB
    HDD 500GB SATA3
    Samsung DVD-RW

When powered on it runs fans for three seconds and shuts down. This loops continuously until the power is pulled from the PSU. I have swapped RAM (single 2GB stick 1333) but no difference. Reset BIOS and pulled battery to no avail.

Is the board DOA or does anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Default Re: H77M-ITX no post

Hi Phil,

I think I have the exact same problem. What happened to yours?

I just sent the following message to AsRock support. If I don't get a quick solution, I'll return the board.

Hello Asrock!

Yesterday, I installed your H77m-itx board with the components as given above. I installed Windows 8 and everything seemed fine. I left it installing updates over night.

When I came back this morning, the machine was powered off. I thought it probably was some form of standby/s3/s5.

When pressing the power button, the lights come up, the CPU fan starts and starts to rotate quickly (loudly). Then, after ~9 seconds, the system shuts down. Another 4 seconds later, the system starts up again and the cycle repeats. I've watched this happen for 5 times, then switched off the power at the back of the PSU.

I think I have the same problem as the guy in http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...x-no-post.html

I tried resetting the CMOS using the Jumper, but that didn't help, same symptoms.

I tried disconnecting the 8-pin power-plug from the PSU connected to the 4-pin ATX12V plug of the mainboard. When I do that, the board starts up and does NOT shut down, but it doesn't POST/boot either. The fans slows down to normal speed, but the screen remains black and the HDD light doesn't flash.

Please advise on what to do. Is this a known issue?

I think I'll have to return the board, because I cannot even start it far enough to do a BIOS update :(
    P.S: Dear Moderators, the answer to the current year-question should be updated!

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You might need to build your system outside of the computer case and try to boot into the bios.
    Disconnect all drives and all hardware that is not needed for booting into the bios.
    Boot with only one memory module installed, preferably with a 4Gb module or smaller.
    If your memory model number is not on the ASRock memory support list for your motherboard, this might be part of the problem.
    Do you have a case speaker connected to the motherboard pins? Any beep codes?

You might need to borrow hardware to test with, such as keyboard, power supply, memory, etc.
    Make sure that all wires and hardware are fully seated and that the slots are clean and not damaged.
    Report in detail the exact steps you perform.
    Don't say "I followed your instructions and it didn't help."

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.

Message sent to the forum webmaster for current year question update.
    thank you.
    Last edited by profJim; 01-04-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Using another PSU yields the exact same symptoms.

If I remove ALL RAM (2*8GB), the system "starts up" just like if I had no ATX12V connected: the fan slows down, it DOESN'T power off, but the screen remains switched off.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Can you test with a single 2GB or 4GB memory module, preferably one that is on the memory support list?

I ended up sending the motherboard back to my supplier for replacement. Previous to this I bought new memory from crucial which was on the supported list as I was using Komputerbay 1333MHz x16GB. After I got the new mobo I used the Komputerbay RAM with success but ended up using the crucial memory as it was supported. Just a personal preference.

Sorry if this is not of any help.

I should also point out that this board does not have a case speaker connection or bios beep codes. I searched for two days to get info before hearing this from ASRock themselves!

Good luck!

P.S
    Please update random question moderators/admin

Hi Kernelpanic,

By the way what processor/graphics are you using?

It will not post unless you have an HDxxxx processor or compatible graphics card installed.

Once again good luck.

Hello everyone,

thanks for the blazing fast replies! And, excuse me for the unsharp hardware description.

I'm using a Core i5 3570K, so it has integrated HD4000 graphics. The memory is GEIL GB316GB1600C10DC PC3 12800 1600MHz CL 10-10-10-28 8GB*2 DC Kit.

As I wrote in m first post, the system WAS RUNNING FINE yesterday.

I don't have any other DDR3 modules to test with. But to be honest, since they were working yesterday and I tried to use just one of them today (tried all 4 possible combinations of installation), I don't quite believe its the memory. BTW, what's supposed to happen when you start the system without memory installed - should I get something on the screen?

I have BIOS P1.10-15b. I read there's ASRock H77M-ITX UEFI 1.30 with the following changelog:

1. Support Windows 8.
    2. Improve discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility.
    3. Auto detects PCIE link speed.
    4. Improve USB keyboard and mouse compatibility.
    5. Update CPU code.

I WAS running windows 8 on this machine yesterday. Unfortunately, I cannot even get to the BIOS/UEFI, so I cannot install the update :(

The CPU compatibility list says all supported CPUs (including mine) are supported in all BIOS versions.

As for the memory compatibility list, there's only three certified 8GB modules, and mine isn't one of them.

thanks!
    ben

parsec is offline Senior Member

Your memory is not in your boards compatibility list, which is most likely the problem.

How was the PC "running fine yesterday" when you started it with no memory? With no memory to load the code to begin the bootstrap and POST process, the PC has no brain, so can't decide to shutdown.

Same thing goes for anything to the monitor, nothing running due to no memory, no display.

I exchanged the memory with 2*4GB Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX, which is also not on the list. It works fine for now, I'll keep an eye on it.

Could someone please explain when and why buying "certified" memory has become so important?! I thought there's standards and properties (like DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.65V) so that you can decide based on those values. These lists are really annoying...

Parsec, I think there's a misunderstanding. Yesterday, I was using it with 2*8GB GEIL memory, and it worked fine. This morning, it didn't start correctly and during the process of diagnosing the problem, I wondered what the expected behaviour of the board starting up without memory would be: nothing, beepcodes, BIOS error message on screen, etc.).

I did not use windows 8 without memory :)

cheers and thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information