Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I meant the driver program for the SATA controller that can be found in Device Manager. If you are using AHCI mode, then you're fine for the most part. You may have the standard Windows msahci driver. The Intel IRST driver, which is usually labelled the RAID driver, is also an AHCI driver and works fine in AHCI mode. It might give you better performance.

How are you measuring "boot time", from the time you press the power button until the desktop is displayed? That includes the POST time of the board, which varies greatly depending on the board. You'd hate my SaberTooth X58 board, it takes ~30 seconds just to POST.

Although you have a SSD as your boot drive, your HDD takes time to start up, which is at least partially being waited to complete. Your board has a Marvell 9120 SATA chipset, and if that is enabled in the UEFI, it looks for attached drives, even if none are there, which takes ~5 - 7 seconds. Disable it if you don't use it.
    Hi

I am now probably gong to buy a larger SSD drive as i require more space for programs (as you might of seen in one of my threads)
    but the driver info will defiantly come n handy for my new SSD

yes i was measuring it from boot up including post and Windows boot
    i have disabled the Marvell drives in UEFI

thanks for your help
    Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 |BIOS:2.30| Intel Core i7 2600K @3.40GHz @4.40GHz |Corsair H60| 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3|Onboard Intel HD 3000 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 120GB SSD |Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HD |650W OCUK modular PSU | Windows 8 64Bit

synack is offline Member

My question for the OP is what they are expecting the boot time to be?

I consider my boot time (10seconds to login, 7 more seconds after login to fully booted) to be extremely insanely fast. 20 is not far from 17... I would not consider 20 seconds to be slow. I would think like 60seconds to be slow (with current hardware)

Could you tweak a few more seconds out? maybe, but isn't 20 pretty fast?

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    My question for the OP is what they are expecting the boot time to be?

I consider my boot time (10seconds to login, 7 more seconds after login to fully booted) to be extremely insanely fast. 20 is not far from 17... I would not consider 20 seconds to be slow. I would think like 60seconds to be slow (with current hardware)

Could you tweak a few more seconds out? maybe, but isn't 20 pretty fast?
    fair point, i was just hoping to cut it by 5 seconds, 20 is amazing just im always trying to see if there's a way to make it better :)
    Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 |BIOS:2.30| Intel Core i7 2600K @3.40GHz @4.40GHz |Corsair H60| 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3|Onboard Intel HD 3000 1GB|OCZ Vertex 4 120GB SSD |Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HD |650W OCUK modular PSU | Windows 8 64Bit

parsec is offline Senior Member

You're welcome.

Sometimes we do want more, of less.

Syn, I imagine you've seen YouTube videos of guys showing their super-fast boots. They have a stripped down board (nothing to start), with one SSD for the OS and no other drives, a bare minimum installation of Windows, no other programs, many Windows services disabled, shut off everything possible in the BIOS, and then show their super PC. Little do the watchers know all the PC can do is boot fast. Impressive... not!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information