Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock X79 Extreme4 Bios 2.10

Default Asrock X79 Extreme4 Bios 2.10

Is Asrock X79 Extreme4 bios v2.10 for Ivy Bridge processors?

If it is, does anyone know if Asrock is working on a bios update that restores Sandy Bridge functionality that may have been lost with bios 2.10?

Or can this board with bios v2.10 be flashed back to an earlier version?

TIA

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock X79 Extreme4 Bios 2.10

The Ivy Bridge E CPUs, the next evolution for the socket 2011 platform, do not yet exist in the retail marketplace, and won't until 2013.

I don't see anything in the v2.10 BIOS that indicates anything about Ivy Bridge CPUs, even if they existed. Personally, I would be happy about the new RAID OROM in v2.10.

You're having some issue with v2.10?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The Ivy Bridge E CPUs, the next evolution for the socket 2011 platform, do not yet exist in the retail marketplace, and won't until 2013.

I don't see anything in the v2.10 BIOS that indicates anything about Ivy Bridge CPUs, even if they existed. Personally, I would be happy about the new RAID OROM in v2.10.

You're having some issue with v2.10?
    I posted about a week ago Asrock X79 Extreme4 bios 2.10 Windows XP - Processor Throttle Not Supported and concluded that Enhanced Intel Speedstep is not working in Windows XP with this board and bios version.

I also don't see anything said about Ivy Bridge processors in any version of bios posted for this board, but then there isn't much information posted about what any of the bios updates address.

I asked the question about Ivy Bridge processors because you posted this in the thread Asrock z68 pro3 Bios 2.1 update Problem! HELP!:

"You also installed a BIOS that was made for Ivy Bridge CPUs, and you use a Sandy Bridge CPU. Many people that do that have problems."

I take your point that Ivy Bridge for socket 2011 are not yet available, but was looking for some reassurance that bios update 2.10 for the X79 Extreme4 was not in anticipation of Ivy Bridge, and whether or not a downgrade reflash of this board was possible with an earlier version of the bios.

Apart from the issue with Windows XP, bios v2.10 is working well with this board and Windows 7.

Indeed I did post that warning in the thread you referenced, and it is an important thing to be aware of, and it is good that you are on the lookout for it.

To add to the confusion, is Intel naming the PCH chipset for socket 2011/Sandy Bridge E CPUs, X79, which more than implies it is a member of the other Intel 7 series PCH chipset family, like Z77. In reality, it is not, and might have been named X69, as it has more in common with the Intel 6 series chipset family. Further, it is more related to the enterprise type board usage than PC boards, as it uses the RSTe SATA driver, in contrast to ALL other Intel PC chipsets.

The issues you are concerned with is found when Intel 6 series chipset boards (for Sandy Bridge CPUs) are flashed with a new BIOS/UEFI that allows them to use Ivy Bridge CPUs (released with the 7 series chipsets), but the user is still using a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Somewhat curious is the fact that using a Sandy Bridge CPU on a 7 series chipset board works just fine with any UEFI/BIOS version, at least in my experience.

Will the same type of issues occur with Ivy Bridge E CPUs on Sandy Bridge E boards? Who knows, and I think that Ivy Bridge E may have another new chipset, such as X89. For now you are safe, but keep a look out, the warnings are small in the new UEFI versions, but they are there.

Flashes to early UEFI/BIOS versions are usually said to not work on ASRock boards. I've done that with an ASUS board I have, but the only way to know is to try.

I forgot about your SpeedStep issue, and FMI (For My Information) are you using XP SP3? Intel said it did not work with SP2, which may be wrong, or something else is going on, so I wonder about that. I also wonder if that is just a Sandy Bridge E CPU thing, or are other CPUs affected by this?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I am reluctant to try a bios downgrade on this board while Windows 7 is working so well, and if bios v2.10 for the X79 Extreme4 is not intended for Ivy Bridge then I doubt that a downgrade would fix the Windows XP Speedstep issue. I can use the Asrock tuning facility, or the bios come to that, to limit the CPU clock multiplier to x12 for the odd occasion that I need to use XP. It would be nice to crack the Speedstep issue with this board though.

I have tried XP on Asmedia Sata3 and Intel Sata2 ports, but yet to try connecting the XP boot disk to Intel Sata port 0.

FYI MS Hotfix KB896256 was intended to resolve some issues with multiple processors. I have tried re-installing XP with SP2 slipstreamed (necessary for PCIe graphics support), then applying the hotfix, then XP SP3, but no cigar. As I understand it SP3 was necessary for Enhanced Speedstep support in XP through the power options in control panel, but powercfg certainly was working with just SP2 and also after Hotfix KB896256, but maybe not fully functional. I never attempted any re-configuration through powercfg after seeing Processor Throttle Not Supported persistently with powercfg /query.

Googling has not turned up any references I can find to XP processor throttling and Sandy Bridge [E] processors, or any other recent class of processors that I can see. Most people would not be bothering with Windows XP, but there are some things that run a lot better on Windows XP than on Windows 7.

In the absence of any other solution that I could find, I concluded that this XP Speedstep issue might be related to this board, or bios version 2.10.

I put in a support request to Asrock about this a week ago, about the same time as I posted here. I haven't heard back. Maybe they have been able to replicate the issue and are looking for a solution??? What else could be holding up a response?!

Interesting information about SpeedStep and XP, and possibly SB E. SpeedStep sure would be useful with your CPU at times.

OMG I see what you mean about not using the Intel port with XP on your platform!! What in the world would you use, an IDE driver?! Sneak in msahci somehow? Of course no RAID too, if that matters.

So if RSTe is Win 7, Server 2008, and "Windows 2003" (Huh?) compatible only, what did the earlier enterprise CPU chipsets use as a SATA driver?

When Intel went with the single PCH CPU support chips, at least in the PC world, with Sandy Bridge CPUs, those were the 6 series chipsets, like P67, Z68, H67, etc. What is the equivalent of those in enterprise land? What do Sandy Bridge Xeon CPUs use for chipsets, and from there, their drivers. I've used IRST version 10 and 11 drivers on Intel SATA II chipsets (ICH10R) that originally used their Matrix Storage driver, the 8 and 9 series drivers. That actually goes back to Intel's ICH8D0 chip.

Of course I'm dreaming and not thinking of what OSs are used in enterprise environments.

I haven't used XP in so long, and I take SpeedStep for granted. I'm surprised that Intel even allows the OS to "tell" CPUs, "you may shift your multiplier now", or not, and it obeys. Does the OS control Turbo "boost" of the multiplier? Don't think so.

I know some X79 users have manually installed part of the standard IRST driver package on their systems, but that is with Windows 7 of course. I'll ask the few X79 users I know of if they are familiar with your issue, but don't hold your breath!

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    OMG I see what you mean about not using the Intel port with XP on your platform!! What in the world would you use, an IDE driver?! Sneak in msahci somehow? Of course no RAID too, if that matters..........I know some X79 users have manually installed part of the standard IRST driver package on their systems, but that is with Windows 7 of course. I'll ask the few X79 users I know of if they are familiar with your issue, but don't hold your breath!
    I should have said that I have yet to try the Win XP boot disk on Intel Sata2 port 0. Intel Sata3 port 0 is for my main Win 7 SSD boot disk.

Yes, IDE mode is necessary to me to install and run XP. I have tried integrating the Intel RAID/AHCI drivers into the XP installation disk without success. I'm not so concerned that I'm looking for an external floppy drive to try an F6 installation. This board is the first I have had without an internal floppy drive and IDE connector(s)!

Thanks for checking with your users. If they have encountered the same issues with XP as I have, then I guess I would either wait for a bios update from Asrock, or a Windows update that resolves the issue. Certainly not holding my breath....

Thread Information