Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASROCK X79 EXTREME 9 & G-skill F3-17000CL9Q won't boot at 2133MHZ!!!!!!!

Unhappy ASROCK X79 EXTREME 9 & G-skill F3-17000CL9Q won't boot at 2133MHZ!!!!!!!

Hello,

I have an asrock X79 Extreme9. I have also bought from u a G-skill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH(16GB=4x4GB ram kits).
    I had 2.20 bios version and I upgraded to 2.30 (latest).
    I have installed ram in dimm socket A1–B1-C1-D1 reading the manual. I have tried setting manually at 2166mhz and no boot.
    I am trying using standard profile or xms profile 1 and 2. Its trying to boot turns off and then boot again turns off.
    At 1866MHZ system is stable and won boot to windows.

After i sent a message to tech support of G-skill and they tell me to follow these 5 steps.
    1) Reset the motherboard settings. To do this, please unplug your power cord from the electrical wall socket and remove the circular round battery on the motherboard. Wait 30 seconds, then put back the battery and reconnect your power cord. This will force your motherboard to reset all settings.

2) Next, try to boot into Windows without any changes to BIOS. If this is successful, please continue to the next step. If your system will not boot, please request an RMA replacement from us. Your memory slots seem to be correct with A1-B1-C1-D1 slots.
    3) After that, go into BIOS and enable XMP Profile 1. Then save and quit. Do not change any other BIOS settings. See if this will let you boot into Windows. If you cannot boot into windows with XMP Profile 1, please continue to step 4.

4) Go into BIOS and choose to “reset to optimal defaults” (or press F9). Then go to OC Tweaker tab, and change the following:
    DRAM Frequency = 2133Mhz
    DRAM Voltage = 1.65V
    CL Timing = 9-11-10-28 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)
    Command Rate = 2
    And then save and quit (or press F10).
    If you still cannot boot to Windows, please continue to step 5.

5) Go back into BIOS and use the same settings, except change DRAM frequency to 1866. You have said this setting will boot, so please use this setting to test the memory. Please use Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86+ (memtest.org). If the memory testing software reports errors, please feel free to request an RMA replacement from us.

I tried these 4 steps and the problem is still exists after the final step of my memory test with memtest programm.
    My memory pass this test succesfully.

It is very important to say something else. I have CPU Intel Core i7 3820. Maybe his controller is fault won't my memory work at 2133MHZ.

I would appreciated to slove my problem.
    Last edited by Diasgod; 11-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Unhappy Re: ASROCK X79 EXTREME 9 & G-skill F3-17000CL9Q won't boot at 2133MHZ!!!!!!!

Nobody knows something???

synack is offline Member

Default Re: ASROCK X79 EXTREME 9 & G-skill F3-17000CL9Q won't boot at 2133MHZ!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diasgod View Post
    Nobody knows something???
    WHOA there! We are peers just trying to help people. This is not ASRock technical support lol.

I think g.skill was correct in telling you to RMA the memory. they are probably defective. it happens. If the memory won't run at rated speed, it's likely not the motherboard at fault. (although it *can* be, just not likely to be)
    They gave you what they recommend as the best settings to get the memory to run. it didn't, so RMA them!

synack is offline Member

Default Re: ASROCK X79 EXTREME 9 & G-skill F3-17000CL9Q won't boot at 2133MHZ!!!!!!!

Just in case there is a language barrier, and you dont understand. To RMA them, means the process to return them to the manufacturer for replacement. (RMA Return Merchandise Authorization)

Topic: DDR3 Speed problems (over 2000MHz Quad-Channel).

ASRock Support:
    Due to X79 Extreme9 support many devices, like IR, CIR, 1394, dual lan..., the layout design is complicated than other motherboard.
    The overclocking ability would some limitation.

Now overclocking has two different ways.
    One is for extreme record.
    Another one is for daily used with overclocking.
    X79 Extreme9 is for first type.
    So it may not stable with overclocking for daily use.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyras View Post
    Topic: DDR3 Speed problems (over 2000MHz Quad-Channel).

ASRock Support:
    Due to X79 Extreme9 support many devices, like IR, CIR, 1394, dual lan..., the layout design is complicated than other motherboard.
    The overclocking ability would some limitation.

Now overclocking has two different ways.
    One is for extreme record.
    Another one is for daily used with overclocking.
    X79 Extreme9 is for first type.
    So it may not stable with overclocking for daily use.
    I don't think that applies here. The manual and website all claim support, with the dimm's LISTED exactly as compatible memory at 2133.
    I would say the DIMMs are defective, and need to be replaced. THEN if it still didn't work, I'd RMA the motherboard.
    What you have quoted, I believe would apply to "unsupported configurations" such as running 2133 RAM at 2400. But this is claimed to be supported by ASRock.

Syn

NOO!

Here the complete quote..

Liebes ASRock Support Team,
    seit das Bios 2.20 für das Extreme9 und 2.0 für die anderen Boards der X79 Serie veröffentlich wurden, lassen sich erstaunlich bessere RAM Settings wählen. Auch an den E5 Support wurde gedacht.
    Im Moment gibt es aber einige Probleme mit den G.Skill Modulen, z.B die G:Skill F3-19200C11-4GBZHD die sich schon bei 2133 MHz weigern und das Board nicht Bootet. Auch andere Modelle der F3 Reihe wie die F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD lassen sich sogar mit dem 3960X kaum auf 2133MHz betreiben. Die beste Figur macht Kingston mit seinen HyperX T1 PC3-14900U CL9-9-9 (DDR3-1866) Kit das stabil auf 2220Mhz 1T Cl10 läuft.

G.Skill Max. T1
    http://www.abload.de/img/cpu-zxeon2687wsij2q.png

Kingston T1 2133MHz
    http://www.abload.de/img/21331to6kiw.jpg

Kingston T1 2220MHz
    http://www.abload.de/img/22201twpivl.jpg

Jetzt die Frage, könnte man das Problem untersuchen und ggf. ein Fix nachliefern oder werden die G.Skills einfach nicht unterstützt. Dann werden sie in unseren Sammelthread auch nicht weiter empfohlen. Wie sieht es mit dem Support der bald auf den Markt kommenden „Corsair Dominator Platinum“ aus, diese habe eine niedrige Spannung für den IMC und passen auch perfekt zur X79 Serie, besonders für das E11 dürften diese interessant sein.

Vielen Dank schon mal, bitte Informieren Sie mich über den aktuellen Stand.

synack is offline Member

I see what you are saying, however ASRock, explicitly supports usage of the modules as described by the OP. If the motherboard is indeed at fault, it would be up to ASRock to fix, or to retract their support stance. (which would piss off a lot of people, so I would hope they fix and not go the "Unsupported" route). They claim support, and this board is the "king of overclocking" I doubt they would tarnish their name over a simple RMA if that was required. I'm no lawyer, but I bet it would be grounds for a lawsuit as well if it came to that.

In this case, even the MEMORY MANUFACTURER says the DIMMs are probably defective. So lets rule that out first, before pointing fingers at the MB manufacturer for not supporting something they have not yet been asked to support.
    2133mhz is really fast and temperamental. Only a little, can make a lot go wrong with those speeds. Simply a non perfect solder joint that has been weakened by the shipping process can make these good dimms seem bad. It just the nature of the game when pushing the limits of technology.

Lets let the memory guys sort out the issue first. If the OP still has issues, next would be ASRock tech support. No point to raise flags just yet.

Syn

Thumbs up Re: ASROCK X79 EXTREME 9 & G-skill F3-17000CL9Q won't boot at 2133MHZ!!!!!!!

Guys thanks about your interesting but i found the solution. I upgraded the bios version to the latest (L2.81) for Windows 8 and my memory works beautifully at 2133MHZ. Thanks.

Thread Information