Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Whistling sounds from onboard audio

Default Whistling sounds from onboard audio

I wonder if anyone out there can help me ?

I have recently built a new PC based on an Asrock 970DE3/U3S3 motherboard. When I connect either a set of speakers or a headset I am getting a whistling noise when I increase the Windows volume slider to anything over about 45%.

I've tried altering lots of options in the Realtek HD audio manager but nothing fixed it.

I've been into the Win 7 device driver and checked that I have the latest drivers installed for the AMD and the Realtek audio bits. I've tried disabling each audio device in turn but that doesn't stop the noise.

I have no other audio cards installed - just the onboad audio.

Could it be interference from another part of the PC e.g. the power supply, cooling fans etc ?

Anyone any idea what is causing this annoying noise ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

synack is offline Member

Default Re: Whistling sounds from onboard audio

Well it's either "interference" or feedback. do you have any microphones attached? be careful answering that question as many things have microphones including web cams and obviously headsets.
    Disconnect/turnoff everything external from the system, except for plain old speakers. (and make sure they are connected to the correct jack, typically the green one) and see if you still get that sound.

If you do, it's probably interference, try another set of speakers to eliminate them as the problem ( a bad wire *can* act as an antenna). if it's still that, I would look at getting the motherboard replaced.

If removing everything solved the problem, start readding everything until the problem returns.
    One more thing to check. windows is a little counter intuitive regarding microphones and the "volume control." A mic in the "playback" section feeds the input back into the output. This will cause the whistling. That should be "muted". the mic value you want to adjust is in the "recording" section of volume control.

Syn

Give that man a great big hairy coconut !!!!

You were right on the money suggesting that I should mute the Mic in the Speakers section of the Win7 sound control. I've attached a screen dump of the option I changed.

Many, many thanks for your help.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images Whistling sounds from onboard audio-whistling-audio-jpg 

synack is offline Member

HAHA I hope a big hairy coconut is a GOOD thing :)

Thanks for posting a screenshot for others. I run Linux on my day-to-day machine and didn't have a screenshot to post myself.

Syn

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad you mentioned this Syn, this is Soooooo important for PC audio. Why?

Most PC audio is done on the cheap, particularly wiring and connectors. That of course is the PC CASE manufactures fault, the demand for cheap, cheaper, cheapest by consumers, and few if any PC audio standards that were actually created by a group of engineers.

In the pure audio world, the inside of a PC is the worst case situation for an audio signal. Power wires everywhere, digital electronics and oscillators everywhere, it's a RFI and EMI nightmare for audio signals. Then unshielded, twisted pair (hopefully) cables are used, not coaxial cables or (HA!) balanced cables, and the wretched pin jacks and plugs are terrible for microphones.

ALWAYS mute unused microphone inputs, and actually any UNUSED input. Half of all PC audio noise problems would be cured just by doing that.

Thread Information