Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PI Version in SYS ROM mismatched warning when flashing BIOS

Wheels of Flames is offline Junior Member

Default PI Version in SYS ROM mismatched warning when flashing BIOS

I am on BIOS 2.10 on my ASRock X79 Extreme4 motherboard and am looking to move into Windows 8 Pro (x64) from Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (x64). The GPT format support intrigues me since I have dual internal 3 TB hard drives - one for Windows that I boot from and the other for backup. I think the old MBR format has a 2TB limit and would like to break free of that while upgrading into Windows 8 as a clean install. I do not have a RAID configuration. Windows 7 SP1 (x64) is currently installed on the traditional MBR format. When I convert my disk to GPT and try to install Windows 7 SP1 (x64) from the DVD as a test, Windows Setup says, "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." I thought Windows 7 (x64) SP1 was the first Windows operating system to support GPT. I found BIOS 2.60 posted for download at ASRock.com for my specific motherboard being described as having "Windows 8 support and GPT support." I thought I could update my BIOS, re-initialize my drive with GPT, and put Windows back on my machine. However, when I run the update program in Windows 7 SP1 I get the following message.

PI Version in SYS ROM mismatched PI Version in ROM File!
    Force update it may be destroy the System BIOS.
    We do not recommend flashing your BIOS.
    Accept/Force/Quit

Could someone please translate this message for me? I quit the program immediately because I never have seen this message before and don't want to "brick" my five-month-old motherboard. Did ASRock release a "second generation" X79 Extreme4 motherboard after I bought mine in June 2012? The BIOS version number jump seems quite large. I have never used the Instant Flash USB method to install any BIOS before, but I have heard that method is safer. Then again, would that actually eliminate the "PI Version" warning? Could someone walk me through that procedure? I am also thinking of dual booting Windows 8 with Ubuntu or Mythbuntu, but I want to resolve this issue first. Or should just forget it and stick with MBR and BIOS 2.10?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: PI Version in SYS ROM mismatched warning when flashing BIOS

Maybe the Windows UEFI update package was corrupted or just bad, and ASRock does not know it yet. It took them two weeks to notice the INF file update they posted for Windows 7 didn't work, and they finally pulled it.

The instant flash UEFI update is easy, I've done it on two ASR board with several UEFI versions, never a problem. Download and unzip the Instant Flash version of the UEFI update. Get a blank USB flash drive, and copy the UEFI file resulting from unzipping the download, into the root folder of the USB drive. If it is not already like this, insert the USB drive into a USB 2.0 port on the rear I/O panel. Restart the PC and go into the UEFI. Find the Instant Flash feature in your UEFI, and click it.

It should show the UEFI version after a few seconds, and then just click it. It takes a minute or so to complete. A prompt to press Enter to restart will be displayed, do so. You can remove the USB drive at that point.

Don't forget this is a typical BIOS update, all settings set to default, so you'll need to reset anything you need set.

Wheels of Flames is offline Junior Member

Default Re: PI Version in SYS ROM mismatched warning when flashing BIOS

Thank you for you help. I used my 30 GB USB flash drive, booted into the BIOS, and proceeded to update. It took about 10 minutes, which seemed a bit long to me. However, the update was successful, the boot screen has changed and my BIOS now says P2.60. The ASRock flash screen on boot up has changed. Now, I will look into converting my 3 TB hard drive to GPT and clean install Windows 8 (x64) once I can get my Ceton Infinitv4 PCI-card working in Windows 8.

Thread Information