Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSI SAS 3444E support on ASRock B75 Pro3

Default Re: LSI SAS 3444E support on ASRock B75 Pro3

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    It's CPU dependent. The OP's Sandy Bridge cpu installed on this board enable PCIe1 to be a 3.0 slot. An Ivy Bridge cpu installed would make/force the PCIe1 slot to be a PCIe 2.x slot
    This is actually an Ivy Bridge CPU. Perhaps the CPU's control over the PCI-E 3.0 is causing the issue...

Whackjack,

More items to try.

"PCI ROM Priority" is located in the Boot section off the main BIOS screen. Though I'm still unsure of what options you're presented to alter.
    Unfortunately, that option isn't listed. Here's what the Boot section looks like: LSI SAS 3444E support on ASRock B75 Pro3-imag0060-jpg

Insert one of those cards into PCIe1 and connect a hard drive(sata and power) to Port 0(furthest from the PCI mounting bracket, above the LEDs). Boot up, change it to Gen1, reboot, and reply what occurs. You should also try this(HD attached) in "Auto" also. I remember that once I needed to do this for the cards to be functional.
    My setup was already like this. HDD on SATA3_0 and DVD_ROM on SATA2_1.

Note: According to the ASRock site and User Manual the PCIe2 slot, although physically an x16 length slot, is actually/electrically an x4 slot. So the card(any card) will be restricted throughput wise by this revelation should you choose to use this slot for an HBA. I'd imagine NON-RAID(pass through) or JBOD(span/concatenation) throughput would not be affected at x4 transfer rates.
    I noticed this, too. But, I was indeed going to be operating on pass through for the drives and using Linux RAID. Most of the drives I have are SATA 2 anyway.

Last but least. Whackpack, where in the US you located? I have some of each of the cards and various lengths of the proper SFF cables that I might be persuaded to loan out provided they return back in the condition they left here as. PM me if this might assist. The SM cards appear awkward as they are proprietary SM UIO cards but I have machined some nylon bushings that allow them to be used with non-proprietary PCI mounting brackets.
    I appreciate the offer. I'm currently waiting on delivery of the SAS enclosure and I'll be getting some SFF-8088 cables from a co-worker. I'm just trying to make sure everything is in order before I plug everything in.

Too, in the Boot menu, adjust the "Setup Prompt Timeout" to three seconds just in case the card and or hard drive might need that extra time to initialize.

Long shot, I know.

Also tried this, to no effect.

A bit more info on the observed behavior: When powered on, the ASRock logo is flashed briefly, then the LSI card firmware output appears. This initializes, allows options to configure, then shows the detected cards (only ever the 1). Then the ASRock logo is shown again for a period of time, then boot resumes.
    I've gone through the LSI SAS configuration utility a few times, but it only seems to work with detected cards. With the other card not initializing, there's nothing to configure. I also tried (as I mentioned before) configuring both of these cards separately attached to the PCIE2 slot and making sure that they are both enabled. The lights flash on both cards (getting power through PCIE1), but there's no sign of it in the BIOS, LSI SAS config, or Linux lspci output.

Thanks for your suggestions, wardog. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Have you tried toggling VT-d either way? Along with the myriad other options/combinations that may be standing in your way ............

Sorry man, I'm grasping at straws now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackjack View Post
    I appreciate the offer. I'm currently waiting on delivery of the SAS enclosure and I'll be getting some SFF-8088 cables from a co-worker. I'm just trying to make sure everything is in order before I plug everything in.
    Oh, you're using external boxes. The cards I have here won't do you a lick of good. No external port connectors on them.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Whackpack,

Good read HERE by willko(Post #47) concerning what appears to be an UEFI BIOS Update for those 3444E cards of yours. But read on further as there seems to be some confusion in later posts(starting at Post # 49 by SebastianMWS) on why he flashed both BIOS and uEFI onto it.

THIS is the thread that got me wondering if it might have been a UEFI based issue. Take note of the ASrock Tech's reply concerning UEFI. After reading that it was off to Google I went.

But willko does provide a through explanation should you find the cards you have running an older FW/ROM version than what he provided links and procedure for.

Of course, caveat utilitor.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-22-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: descriptive changes and added "caveat utilitor"
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

hehe, not bad.

57 tabs open in 6 windows of FF17.0 while researching that last post above.

Whackpack,

Good read HERE by willko(Post #47) concerning what appears to be an UEFI BIOS Update for those 3444E cards of yours. But read on further as there seems to be some confusion in later posts(starting at Post # 49 by SebastianMWS) on why he flashed both BIOS and uEFI onto it.

THIS is the thread that got me wondering if it might have been a UEFI based issue. Take note of the ASrock Tech's reply concerning UEFI. After reading that it was off to Google I went.

But willko does provide a through explanation should you find the cards you have running an older FW/ROM version than what he provided links and procedure for.

Of course, caveat utilitor.
    I have actually seen that forum topic before, but didn't make the connection of updating the firmware on the cards to my issue.
    I attempted to do the firmware update on my server, running Ubuntu Server 12.04 64-bit, but did not have any luck.
    My only other option is to pop one of the cards into my Windows 7 desktop and see if I can flash the new firmware through there.
    I'll update this with my results.

Good luck. It took me four mb's to find one that I could flash on. Of all things it turned out to be an nF4 SLI-DR Expert.

Yes, please update.

No dice. I was able to update both of the cards just fine to the 1.30 FW version, but they still aren't showing up when connected to PCIE1.
    It's looking like I'll have to pick up a single slot x8 HBA instead. I have my eye on the LSI00138, though I'm a bit worried about the bandwidth since the PCIE2 slot on my mobo is only x4. PCI-E 3.0 cards seem to be pretty expensive.
    Thanks for your help, wardog. I'll keep an eye on this forum in case you or anyone else comes up with any ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information