Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booting Win XP in AHCI mode -- ASRock 990FX Extreme4-- XP installed in IDE mode.

AudioDoc is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Booting Win XP in AHCI mode -- ASRock 990FX Extreme4-- XP installed in IDE mode.

Thank you, wardog!

I was able to create the driver floppy. Tried updating the dual channel devices, but that was still a no go. I don't know why I spaced reading the online manual. I did skim through the printed manual, but that is quiet spartan. Now at least I have drivers on a floppy for doing a fresh install using F6. I checked it running the repair console and ran CHKDSK r/ in AHCI mode. Of course that didn't fix anything. Booting back into windows xp in ide mode I tried updating the dual channel devices as you suggested with the floppy using the ahcix86.inf driver and get the same "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" message.

Appreciate your help. At least now I am set to do a fresh install of XP. Very curious as why I can't update those drivers. I'll try a fresh install on an extra drive I have lying around.

Regards,

Kelly

Default Re: Booting Win XP in AHCI mode -- ASRock 990FX Extreme4-- XP installed in IDE mode.

Kelly,

Is it asking you to point to an inf, or is a dir good enough?

You might try uninstalling those controllers(and drivers if asked?) in Dev Mgr and upon reboot set the BIOS to AHCI. I'm thinking the XP might upon entering the OS ask for drivers at that point.

Man, sorry. It's been some time since XP for me.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Enable the "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" also. I believe XP, and only XP, will smile upon you for doing so.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I have been running dual boots from my SSD (128Gb) and have often run dual boots on other machines.

Why don't you simply re-install XP in AHCI mode?

When I first got my i7 bundle with the ASRock B75 PRO3-M mobo I installed XP with the SATA 3 slots set to IDE but later changed this to AHCI and simply re-installed XP.

Incidentally I have both the dual boots on the SSD - simply created 2 partitions - one with XP and the other with Win 7 - piece of cake.

AudioDoc is offline Junior Member

Talking Re: Booting Win XP in AHCI mode -- ASRock 990FX Extreme4-- XP installed in IDE mode.

Wardog,
    Thanks! Yes updating the driver must be .inf, not just the directory. Assuming the driver is the correct one, I looks like I need to add a new dual channel device with the correct ahci driver. Have found not way to do that.
    As for the "enable amd ahci bios rom" what the heck is that anyway? Couln't find any info on it. It appears to increase the boot time by displaying additional bios info.

Peter,
    Good question! And no you are not missing the obvious!
    Two reasons for not doing the obvious: 1, this is really bugging me that I can't find a solution. I don't like unsolved problems and loose ends.
    The other is, even though re installing win xp is easy, reinstalling all my software and setting everything back up the way I like it is a pain and very time consuming! Of course after all this time spent trying to fix this, I could have done that by now! Additionally, maybe it would help others that run into the same issue!

Thanks for all your replies! Much appreciated!

Regards,

Kelly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information