Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X-Fi Sound Card & Intel Display Audio

Question X-Fi Sound Card & Intel Display Audio

System Spec:
    AsRock Z77e-ITX
    Core i5 3570K
    Samsung ECO DDR3 2x4GB @ 2000MHz 10-12-12
    HD 4000
    X-Fi Titanium PCIe Sound Card
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD (OS)
    Western Digital Green 2TB
    Silverstone SG-06 with 300Watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I am using this as a HTPC for a while now. Just sold my Gaming PC and the remaining Sound Card X-Fi Titanium PCIe, I wanted to use as the primary sound device instead of the built-in motherboard device. As this is a HTPC I have it attached to a Sony Bravia 40" via a HDMI cable.

The real problem started when I disable the internal sound card. By doing this surprisingly, the HDMI audio also gets disabled.

I was wondering if there is a way to use the X-Fi card and the Intel Display HDMI audio without enabling the internal sound card???

Much Appreciated!!

Default Re: X-Fi Sound Card & Intel Display Audio

No one?? Really?? Not a single suggestion!!!! Come one, I know u guys are better than this!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Does your card have an SPDIF output header? If so, you can connect it to the HDMI_SPDIF Header, in the lower left hand corner of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Does your card have an SPDIF output header? If so, you can connect it to the HDMI_SPDIF Header, in the lower left hand corner of the board.
    Thanks for replying parsec. I have googled regarding what you advised and came up with this: Creative Worldwide Support

Now I pictured it would be a pin sort of connection like the old GPUs but it looks like the optical port itself is the spdif/in port. I'm not sure how to use this port to connect to the motherboards HDMI_SPDIF header. Also, I noticed that i hadn't plugged in the Front panel audio connector! do you think that could be one of the reasons why Intel Display Audio wouldn't work if I disable onboard audio?? If that's the case why the "enable HDMI audio" option vanishes from BIOS if I disable onboard sound??? are they inter-linked and inter-dependent????

parsec is offline Senior Member

The front panel audio connector is not related to your situation.

Think about what you want to do, which is send the digital audio output of your card, into the mother board, so it can be routed through the HDMI output on the boards rear I/O panel, correct? The standard digital signal input/output is SPDIF, which can be on a RCA jack, optical TOSLINK connector and cable, or a simple two pin header, used on mother boards, video cards, etc.

Your board has a HDMI_SPDIF two pin PC/mobo header, whose purpose seems to be routing an SPDIF signal into the board, for output on the rear panel HDMI port.

The question is, does your sound card have a two pin PC style header that can be connected to the boards HDMI_SPDIF header? I don't have your sound card, and I could not find any information about a header like that on the support page. Your card has a bunch of pins on the side and back, if you can learn if any of them is an SPDIF output, then you can connect it to the mobo.

If you card does not have an SPDIF PC style two pin output header, you are out of luck. An optical SPDIF output on the cards rear panel cannot be converted into an electrical signal with a simple adapter. That would still need to be routed back into the case, even if it was possible.

The SPDIF input and output on the card, labeled "OPT", but are actually RCA jacks so cannot be used with a TOSLINK optical cable, must be used with a standard coaxial cable. I have never seen a coaxial to two pin header connector cable, which would need to be routed into the PC case for connection to the HDMI_SPDIF header.

Thread Information