Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock z77 Extreme4 USB 3.0 headers at usb 2.0 speed

voirin is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock z77 Extreme4 USB 3.0 headers at usb 2.0 speed

Hi, I am having issues with my usb 3.0 headers on my Asrock z77 Extreme4 motherboard. I am using Win 7 x64.

With my case's front panel connected into the usb 3.0 header I can only get one of them working at 3.0 speed whereas the other is at 2.0 speed. I even asked for a replacement front panel, and the same issue! I also recently purchased a usb 3.0 bracket to test the header, thinking that the front panel usb 3.0 header cable was a dud, but I'm getting the same results again.

So far I have tested 3 different usb 3.0 headers cables connected to this motherboard and I always get the same results: one operates at 3.0 and the other at 2.0. And it is always the same usb port...

I have upgraded the motherboard bios to the latest i.e. 2.50 and still the same issue. I was on 2.40 before and the same issue. The website mentions that there have been improved "USB compatability" fixes in version 2.40 and 2.50, but I am not getting any improvements whatsoever.

I also have the latest drivers installed from the Asrock website i.e. Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:1.0.4.220. I get perfect 3.0 speed via the two usb 3.0 intel ports at the back of my pc, but the headers are not working right. Knowing that the usb 3.0 headers are also intel, this has left me confused.

Lets not talk about the ASMedia usb 3.0 ports, they all work at usb 2.0 speed....

Is anyone also having this issue? Not sure what to do. Any help appreciated.

V
    Last edited by voirin; 11-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Default Re: Asrock z77 Extreme4 USB 3.0 headers at usb 2.0 speed

I have been doing more testing and I still get:

"this device can perform faster if you connect it to a super-speed USB 3.0 port"

When I look in device manager I see this:

So it seems as though it recognises that the drive is connected to a usb 3.0 port, but why does it give me this popup saying it is only connected at usb 2.0 speed?

When I perform speed tests transferring a 4 GB file from my usb 3.0 device to my HDD via the usb 3.0 header I get the following average results:

good usb 3.0 port: 78 MB/s
    bad usb 3.0 port: 43 MB/s
    Last edited by voirin; 11-27-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Am I the only one with this issue???

By chance there is no pin damage/missing on the mb's port is there?

That would explain why it's repeatable regardless of what is being plugged into that MB's USB 3.0 port.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Do you have the (annoying) "XFast USB" utility installed? Not that you should need it, but just wondering. I'm not using it anymore. I saw a review of our board, that showed sub-standard USB performance compared to other boards when it was not installed.

I'm not using the PC with USB 3.0 front panel headers right now, so I can't test them. I don't use them much, so have not noticed a problem if it exists.

That case (Corsair 500R) had a defective I/O panel, only one port worked at all out of two. The replacement I/O panel works fine, meaning both ports now work, but I did not test their speed. Other users of this case received bad replacement I/O panels. Bad USB 3.0 I/O panels seem to be a common problem with cases.

I tested the rear panel Intel and ASMedia USB3.0 ports with a USB 3.0 flash drive, and both of the results were virtually identical, and very close to the (good) speed you posted.

I wondered if using both of the USB 3.0 ports simultaneously might account for the restricted speed. I tried the Intel rear panel USB3.0 ports with two identical USB3.0 flash drives, and ran a benchmark on each at the same time. The results were virtually identical, and the speed was the same as the individual drive test. I did the same two drive test on the rear ASMedia USB3.0 ports, same results as the on the Intel ports.

I've never seen the "This device can perform faster... " message when using the USB 3.0 ports. Curious that Windows detects a USB 3.0 device, but the interface seems to be USB 2.0. It seems you have one or more issues with the USB 3.0 systems on that board, but I don't know what is the cause.

Thread Information