Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?




  1. #1
    ananobes is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7

    Default How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    Hi, I have the following new build:

    Asrock X79 Extreme 9 m/b BIOS is latest at P2.30
    intel i7 3930K
    Asus Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II
    G.skill PC-12800 RipjawsZ 64GB (8x8GB dual channel)
    Win 7 Pro
    LG BD-ROM
    Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD boot drive on Intel X79 SATA3 controller
    Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD on Marvell 9220 controller (SATA3_M1)
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB SSD on Marvell 9220 controller (SATA3_M0)

    It currently has only Windows, Chrome and a few utilities installed.

    Before I go any further I want to configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller

    In the UEFI (BIOS) Setup Utility: Advanced Options, Storage Configuration page I was expecting
    an option to configure RAID for the Marvell 9220 like that on the Fatal1ty X79 Champion m/b
    (see below).
    How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?-guide-hyperduo-plus-sample-1-jpg

    Not only does the UEFI Setup Utility for the X79 Extreme 9 not have an option to configure RAID for
    the Marvell 9290 but when I go to change the Operation Mode for the 9220 controller I see only
    2 options:

    Disable
    OR
    AHCI Mode

    even though the options listed to the right are:
    (1) IDE mode
    (2) AHCI mode
    (3) RAID mode

    One of the main requirements for me is SSD cache of HDD so I really need Hyper Duo Plus going
    before I can install much else.

    Thanks in advance for you help.

  2. #2
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    So there is nothing at all in your boards manual, or included as an extra manual in the boards box, that explains the HyperDuo configuration?

    In the utility section of your boards download page, is this: Marvell MSU Utility ver:4.1.0.2002

    That is the Marvell Storage Utility, do you have that installed? If not, that is what allows you to create a HyperDuo cache volume. If installing that somehow allows you to choose RAID in the UEFI for the Marvell chip, I don't know, it may not even matter.

    I found this documentation about using MSU for creating a HyperDuo volume, but its for a HighPoint PCIe card that uses a similar or the same Marvell chipset that your board has. Looks like it will be at least similar to what yours will be.

    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/PDF/RH...PBD_create.pdf

    I'm interested to know how well this HyperDuo actually works, so let us know.

  3. #3
    ananobes is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I found this documentation about using MSU for creating a HyperDuo volume, but its for a HighPoint PCIe card that uses a similar or the same Marvell chipset that your board has. Looks like it will be at least similar to what yours will be.

    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/PDF/RH...PBD_create.pdf

    I'm interested to know how well this HyperDuo actually works, so let us know.
    Thanks greatly parsec.... that link help a lot and I am creating the HyperDuo volume now. I will report back in detail soon.

  4. #4
    ananobes is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    parsec... got me checking everything again with reference to that link http://www.highpoint-tech.com/PDF/RH...PBD_create.pdf


    This link had details on how to setup the HyperDuo feature and it has the same GUI as I had seen earlier in the Marvell SATA3 RAID Installation Guide that came with the board.


    I went back and reread this PDF manual. While, it makes no metion of HyperDuo anywhere, or even which Marvell controller it applies to (there are two on this board, SE9172 and SE9220) it did have the same general look.... just without any HyperDuo options.


    Previously, when I tried the following instructions:


    You can access and control remote adapters using the MRU Browser GUI.
    1. Launch your default web browser.
    2. Type the following web address in the address bar.
    http://*Your IP Address*:8845/MRU/JumpPage.php?Target=LoginPage


    I didn't get past the login page..... I hadn't tried very hard assuming it was for the SE9172 and I was signing into some Marvell webpage.


    Ignoring the domain/userid I signed in with my windows userid password and there it was.... including the undocumented HyperDuo feature.


    It's all up and working..... although I can get back into the MRU Browser GUI anymore????

    Thanks parsec...

  5. #5
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    Sounds good, glad that helped.

    The Marvell chip with HyperDuo is the 9220, a new model, the 9172 does not have that feature AFAIK. Not many boards have this Marvell 9220 chip, yours is one of the first, so not much information about it is available.

    A few other companies have similar software, which you must activate with a key similar to Windows. I assume this login thing at Marvell is their way of controlling who gets the software, or I should say is allowed to use it, that is different than the others. You should try logging in again, unless it's a one time shot, which would be screwy. Or create a new login, or harass Marvell about how to use the dang thing.

    Oh I can see it now, all the people trying to use the software on the other Marvell chips, and not be authorized, I can't wait. It was worth it to me just to learn about that part!

  6. #6
    aarizzi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    I believe the login you are seeing is not to Marvell, but rather into their local software system that is running on your machine. The username/password pair you will need to use is your administrator account on your local machine. Instead of launching your browser and typing the URL manually, you can also access this through the MRU notification icon in your tsakbar.

    I had briefly played with trying to get HyperDuo running, and was able to get it (what seemed properly) configured. I did this both through the Marvell BIOS interface and the MRU/web interface (the one with the login). Unfortunately, it never seemed to become "ready" for me, it would successfully "initialize" (I think that was the term they used for the initial build), then some time later it would start "optimizing" (not sure that was the term they used), and it would just do that forever -- I let it run at least 24 hours -- with no sign of making progress.

    I have a few tasks/applications that would benefit from this type of cahcing system, but after spending ~2 weeks trying to get the 7220 working "correctly" I gave up. Now I am booting off the SSD which I moved to the Intel X79 SATA port, and have the HDD (also now on the X79 SATA port) for lower use data and manually push things back and forth when appropriate.

  7. #7
    ananobes is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: How do I configure Hyper Duo Plus (SSD cache) on Marvell 9220 controller of X79 Extreme 9?

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Sounds good, glad that helped.

    The Marvell chip with HyperDuo is the 9220, a new model, the 9172 does not have that feature AFAIK. Not many boards have this Marvell 9220 chip, yours is one of the first, so not much information about it is available.

    A few other companies have similar software, which you must activate with a key similar to Windows. I assume this login thing at Marvell is their way of controlling who gets the software, or I should say is allowed to use it, that is different than the others. You should try logging in again, unless it's a one time shot, which would be screwy. Or create a new login, or harass Marvell about how to use the dang thing.

    Oh I can see it now, all the people trying to use the software on the other Marvell chips, and not be authorized, I can't wait. It was worth it to me just to learn about that part!
    I did manage to login again (the app retains login details so no need to re-enter) but instead of using a right click option of the MSU (Marvell Storage Tray) to "Open MRU (Marvell Raid Utility)" which wasn't working after the first time, I clicked on the MSU icon itself.... I think. I'm playing with Windows 8 at the moment so I've broken everything and can't recreate at present.

    Quote Originally Posted by aarizzi View Post
    I believe the login you are seeing is not to Marvell, but rather into their local software system that is running on your machine. The username/password pair you will need to use is your administrator account on your local machine. Instead of launching your browser and typing the URL manually, you can also access this through the MRU notification icon in your tsakbar..
    I eventually sussed this out.... bit slow sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by aarizzi View Post
    I had briefly played with trying to get HyperDuo running, and was able to get it (what seemed properly) configured. I did this both through the Marvell BIOS interface and the MRU/web interface (the one with the login). Unfortunately, it never seemed to become "ready" for me, it would successfully "initialize" (I think that was the term they used for the initial build), then some time later it would start "optimizing" (not sure that was the term they used), and it would just do that forever -- I let it run at least 24 hours -- with no sign of making progress.

    I have a few tasks/applications that would benefit from this type of cahcing system, but after spending ~2 weeks trying to get the 7220 working "correctly" I gave up. Now I am booting off the SSD which I moved to the Intel X79 SATA port, and have the HDD (also now on the X79 SATA port) for lower use data and manually push things back and forth when appropriate.
    I couldn't get into the Marvell BIOS interface and once I got in via the browser interface I didn't try again.

    As for the HyperDuo raid, mine was up and running in minutes. I ran CrystalDiskMark briefly and got some nice figures, moved some large files around and then because I don't have a valid Win 7 key yet decided to tryout Win 8.

    Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •