Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M xfast ram utility

Jim Shaffer is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M xfast ram utility

You can use your extra RAM that's unavailable to the 32-bit versions of Windows in XFast RAM if you flip the "PAE Mode" switch in the upper right corner to "ON".

Unfortunately, I've found that this makes my system BSOD 100% of the time (albeit with different errors each time) when resuming from hibernation! Your mileage may vary -- I had it set to put the pagefile in the ramdisk, and I didn't feel like rebooting anymore times to test whether it works correctly without that option. Or, maybe you have a fast-booting system and don't ever hibernate it, whereas I never do anything but hibernate when I don't need to reboot.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The latest version of AXTU does not have the PAE Mode option in the XFast RAM screen. I suppose that option may appear when a 32 bit OS is used, but I've never used one.

Jim, did you try the backup option on the XFast screen, which may help with resuming from Hibernation. You could also try using Sleep rather than Hibernate.

Have you tried the Intel Rapid Start feature, which seems to be identical to Hibernate, but may be improved. I've never used it.

Jim Shaffer is offline Junior Member

I have no idea what the difference between Rapid Start and hibernate is supposed to be, other than that the instructions for Rapid Start say that it creates a hibernation partition instead of a hibernation file. Also, they say that you need an SSD for Rapid Start for some reason. I guess they just want to push the idea that you can come out of hibernation as fast as coming out of sleep. But since I don't have an SSD, I haven't tried it.

SerWaffles is offline Junior Member

Thanks, parsec. That confirms my thinking. I don't know if the XFast RAM utility uses some trickery to address past the 4 GB limit on a 32-bit system. There doesn't seem to be a help file included which might indicate this. That would be the only scenario where I could see the benefit of using it for the pagefile. On my x64 system, I have turned the pagefile option off, all the others are on.\

Edit: I saw there was an extra page on this discussion after I posted. Jim has confirmed that you can use the extra memory in a 32-bit version of Windows. I haven't upgraded my version of XFast since I have the latest posted on ASRock's site for my motherboard.
    Last edited by SerWaffles; 12-07-2012 at 01:24 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Canned 'Ho, what will they think of next...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information