Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asrock you have lost a customer for good BYE!

shankly1985 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock you have lost a customer for good BYE!

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    food for thought:

• Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
    • Never Argue With A Fool They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Much as I'm tempted to hit the BAN button, I ignore ignorant posts.
    Just asking was this aimed at me?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

absolutely not aimed at you!!

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    absolutely not aimed at you!!
    Ok

This is a good time for me to jump in here.
    It's nor just a problem with Intel motherboards.

Until recently I had an 880G Pro3 that was a disaster but monetary issues prevented me from replacing it until a week ago when I had no choice.
    The rig is my movie server and contains 5 hds and a DVD drive powered by a SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze PSU. I use a 32" Samsung TV as a monitor and, with the 880G, if the TV was selected as the source it wouldn't boot. If I did make that mistake I would have to spend 15 - 20 min trying to bring it back to life. Last week it suddenly stopped seeing 2 of the hds and shortly after it lost sound. Did the usual stuff - tested the drives, then the PSU, (both OK), reflashed the BIOS using a VGA monitor, Still couldn't find the drives in the BIOS, Win 7 or Linux.
    After 14 months of living with this nonsense I bought an Asus M4A88T-M (non UEFI BIOS) to replace it and now I'm happy to say that it works without any of the issues I had with ASRock.
    Apparently no one at ASRock can compile a working UEFI BIOS.
    After building apporximately 10 ASRock boards since the 939 DS2 days (I still own 3) I suspect that this company is going the way of Abit, DFI, Epox and Soyo - 4 of my old favorites. Engineering is always the first to go.

Bill
    My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Maybe it my lack of experience, for many years I was avoiding this company as a plague, but after some time it was looking better in my eyes. Year ago I bought Z68E4G3, which was some nice board for it's price and then month ago I bought H77Pro4-M to my firm.

The real question is - the cause of this lack of support. Financial crisis did it, other companies or just laziness ?

Some examples :

1. Virtu MVP - lack of support on Z68E4G3 - problem was a license cost - modding some Virtu program files and then bios made it work, but who cares anymore I don't need it, don't use it anymore

2. Not updated old Intel OROM, Trim working in Raid mode - so far anyone can update your UEFI with latest Intel OROM and now we can have Trim working in Raid mode, why it is not updated by Asrock: cost reduction and lack of testing resources and maybe Intel just didn't allowed for it, ok make it for yourself - link

3. Win 8 UEFI Fast boot / drivers - I bet it's only license cost problem or MS / Intel lack of approval here - If we don't get a support then let's hack begin. ;)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Regarding activating TRIM in RAID 0 on Intel 6 series chipsets, there is more to it than updating the OROM. The OROM data must be hacked to fool the IRST driver into thinking it is working with a 7 series chipset, the only ones that officially support TRIM in RAID 0. That is no doubt a licensing agreement violation for a mother board manufacture, which is why you don't see them doing that.

synack is offline Member

<rant>
    I just want to chime in here for a second... mostly because it irritates me that people want computer equipment to last forever with all the new bells and whistles.
    It's a simple matter of fact computer equipment goes obsolete very quickly.

I see this happening with all the manufacturers.. customer A is mad at manufacturer B because 3 yr old piece of equipment cant run the newest whatever.

Does your board run with the current OS at the time you bought it? You got what you paid for. Will it run on the newest? maybe.. did you try it?

Put their shoes on for a moment and reasonably define where YOU would draw the line at support!! It's not reasonable to ask for free upgrades, in perpetuity. It also does not make good business sense either.

Maybe you should also get angry at Ford for not supporting the newest NAV system in your car... or maybe Motorola for not putting 4g in your flip phone...
    I know it sucks having to upgrade hardware all the time to run the latest and greatest.. but that is the price you pay for needing the latest and greatest.
    </rant>

Syn

Mate where talking about z68 platform that is just over one year old. They is no excuse for not still supporting it, take a look at all other board manufacture and you will see they all have Windows 8 support. Yes this PC does run Windows 8 but I did need to go elsewhere to find the Windows 8 drivers for my Network and Audio and Intel smart response. And comparing 4G to Windows drivers is madness 4G is hardware witch is a new upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by synack View Post
    <rant>
    I just want to chime in here for a second... mostly because it irritates me that people want computer equipment to last forever with all the new bells and whistles.
    It's a simple matter of fact computer equipment goes obsolete very quickly.

I see this happening with all the manufacturers.. customer A is mad at manufacturer B because 3 yr old piece of equipment cant run the newest whatever.

Does your board run with the current OS at the time you bought it? You got what you paid for. Will it run on the newest? maybe.. did you try it?

Put their shoes on for a moment and reasonably define where YOU would draw the line at support!! It's not reasonable to ask for free upgrades, in perpetuity. It also does not make good business sense either.

Maybe you should also get angry at Ford for not supporting the newest NAV system in your car... or maybe Motorola for not putting 4g in your flip phone...
    I know it sucks having to upgrade hardware all the time to run the latest and greatest.. but that is the price you pay for needing the latest and greatest.
    </rant>

Syn

parsec is offline Senior Member

Syn, I do agree.

I believe part of the "problem" is, if you look back to the period between about four and two years ago, compatibility with newer and older hardware was much more common. People became used to it, and took it for granted. Then starting about two years ago, there was a transition in the PC industry to new, more evolved hardware. That includes CPU's and chipsets, boards that used and supported that hardware, and SSDs becoming mainstream. In order to advance, the new hardware left many of the old ways behind, inevitable.

Intel surged forward in that manner, with zero compatibility between the new and old CPU platforms. AMD stayed with the "old" ways as long as possible, but had to let it go at some point, which was this year. IMO, they crippled themselves somewhat by keeping the older support chipsets (with new names) and CPU sockets, trying to maintain some compatibility. Users complained when Intel left compatibility behind a few years ago, now it's AMD's turn to feel that heat.

PC building as a hobby, and a means to an end, is not free or cheap, if you want to play, you gotta pay. When I read about people that have Nvidia SATA chipsets in their PCs, which were bad from day one, and have zero support from Nvidia whatsoever for several years, that complain their SSDs are slow, I just don't get it. The Nvidia driver code does not know what "SATA III" is, and sets the link speed to SATA I. But somehow, that is the SSD manufactures fault.

Frankly, compared to other enthusiast hobbies, like audio equipment or cars, PC building is cheap.

synack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
    Mate where talking about z68 platform that is just over one year old. They is no excuse for not still supporting it, take a look at all other board manufacture and you will see they all have Windows 8 support. Yes this PC does run Windows 8 but I did need to go elsewhere to find the Windows 8 drivers for my Network and Audio and Intel smart response. And comparing 4G to Windows drivers is madness 4G is hardware witch is a new upgrade.
    So your displeasure is simply having to look for drivers yourself?

the z68 platform is from may 2011 so about 18months...(which is about a generation in computer terms) and the MB manufacturer doesn't make the chipsets, so I suppose they are lazy in not looking for those drivers for you... lol. "other" manufacturers might have those drivers for you this week... but what about the updates next month? or 2 months from now?... will you stop buying from them too? when does the madness stop?

The board was designed for windows 7, not windows 8. No where did it say "we promise to give you windows 8 drivers whenever it comes out." If it works, consider yourself lucky that you may not need to upgrade your hardware this time around. Consider yourself lucky drivers were available at all to allow you to upgrade to windows 8, instead of bashing the company because they didn't wrap it up in a nice bow for you. Thank the manufacturer for using vendors that continue to support their chipsets into windows 8

the 4G comparison wasn't to windows drivers, it's obviously comparing technologies in general. To those who expect that manufacturers should support their stuff (software or hardware) forever.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information