Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New OC Formula won't shut down (and more)

Billy Cooper is offline Junior Member

Default New OC Formula won't shut down (and more)

Hi all,

I just installed a new OC Formula into a 7 week old sys in which a competitor's mobo borked (kinda sounds like Asrock, only shorter).

Anyway, the post title hints at my issue, but there is more.

Upon shutdown or restart, windows logs off completely and "it" shuts down. In fact, the monitor goes into "Off/Power Saving Mode" as if the whole system is off.
    Strangely, the fans and leds and all the hardware just keep right on humming along.
    The monitor is blank, and thinking everything is shutdown, windows is "off", except there seems to be a ghost in the machine.
    I have to do a press and hold of the start button to actually get the hardware to shut down. Also, the reset button will reset her.

I did manage to download and install the latest 1.60 bios, but that did nothing to address the shutdown issue.

Any insights anyone may have would be warmly appreciated.

Further, my initial keyboard on this system would recognize and flash during post, and powers up when on, but will not type characters. It is a Saitek gaming keyboard. It was working fine prior to installing this mobo.
    I switched to an extra MS keyboard I have and it works 100%.

Also, after installing the mobo and booting up, I did try to install utils from the dvd, but those installs were not a success, I kept getting into terminal loops during the Etron USB 3 install and having to reboot.

Subsequently, I downloaded most of the latest from the website, and installed the Intel INF drivers, Intel ME drivers, but the Marvell and Etron USB 3 drivers refuse to install, and both just get to about 75% done and go terminal loopy (they just sit and don't finish). I also got the Formula Drive application to install, but it is slow and unresponsive, and the Fast Ram util won't run; it reports that the "drivers may not be ready".

All this software/driver related stuff "feels" like it is incompatible with win 8 (I went through this with the Asus mobo install), the only difference was that the Asus actually has new stuff that has kept pace with the release of win 8. The newest critical updates on the Asrock site appear around early August way before the final release.

Believe me when I say I really want this thing to work, and I'll try to get her going if possible, but I'm worried about Win 8 compatibility at this point. Nothing feels finished in terms of the drivers/software installs (I don't feel confident I'm completely set up per spec), and I'm afraid I'll discover things not working as I add features.

Here are the quick specs on the box.

Win 8 64
    OC Formula at stock speeds, and virgin (not tampered with yet except to load up my ram's XMP)
    Intel 3570k un-clocked
    16 gb Corsair Vengeance 1633
    Intel 120 gb SSD boot (yet to connect rest of HD's)
    HP dvdrw
    windows comfort keyboard and mouse
    LG ips235 display
    Hyper Evo 212 push/pull
    All drivers were installed with the Asus mobo on board.
    No vid card for a week or two.

The old Asus mobo drivers are probably still hanging around on the drive somewhere, but I have no clue how to remove them or if they present any issues...

In any event, I hope all are having fun tweeking their machines, and I know I can't wait to dig into this new board provided I can iron her out.

Cheers, and Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Billy Cooper; 12-07-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: New OC Formula won't shut down (and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cooper View Post

Believe me when I say I really want this thing to work .........
    and then way way down at the end , the really pertinent to troubleshooting info is proffered up as .......
    The old Asus mobo drivers are probably still hanging around on the drive somewhere, but I have no clue how to remove them or if they present any issues...
    Me thinks you know what needs done.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

@wardog, seems like we've been seeing a lot of this lately.

I accidentally booted from a drive from an ASUS P67 board Windows 7 installation, on my ASR Z77 board. It was like all hell was breaking loose, with Windows trying to update drivers, and running utility programs not meant for the ASR board. I shutdown the PC quickly, but I knew that installation was probably ruined for the P67 board. You might not think there would be that much difference between a P67 and Z77 platform Windows installation, but there really is.

Then we have Windows 8. In the past, with Windows 7 for example, Microsoft provided a program to check for compatibility when moving to Win 7. MS did not do that for Windows 8. Win 8 supposedly can run some kind of compatibility check after it is installed. But they do have a simple database where Win 8 users add their experience with various hardware and software... Huh?

I'm not seeing many complaints about this, but isn't it rather ridiculous? IMO, this "just see if it works" attitude that MS is implicitly putting out there this time is not helping users, such as in cases like this.

Billy Cooper is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the infos guys and for the "reminder" wardog ;).

I just did the right thing and did a drive wipe and reinstall of the whole of the universe, and now my world is a beautiful place.

All drivers and utils installed fine from the dvd disk, and my systems actually shuts down now.

And yes Parsec, when I booted off the "old" p8z77-v disk, all hell did break loose on mine as well.

Now, off to the bios for a little experimentation.

my world is a beautiful place.
    Good to hear.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information