Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I won't be monkeying with Win8, but I assume it's the same as Win7. Set the BIOS to AHCI, and when prompted during the OS install early on for 3rd party drivers point to the flash drive.

    Do you have an extra sata cable that you can run separately to the SSD to eliminate/test possible interference from the other tightly bundled power cables as your problem?
    just tried it with a different SATA3 cable. no change.

  2. #12
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    One thing you seem to be confused about is the ASMedia and Intel drivers. Your board has two SATA controllers, the Intel and the add on ASMedia. Each has their own driver, Intel IRST for the Intel chipset, and the ASMedia AHCI driver for the ASMedia chipset. Those drivers cannot be used on the other controllers, they simply will not install. The only way you even booted using the ASMedia driver is if you had your OS drive connected to the top two SATA ports (ASMedia controller ports), that are empty in your picture. DO NOT use them for installing or booting your OS!!

    Try disabling the ASMedia controller in the Storage Configuration screen in the UEFI, that might be causing the slowdown. Do not turn on Fast or Ultra Fast boot until things are stable. Actually, if you did enable Ultra Fast boot with Windows 8, you will NOT be able to get back into the UEFI, without clearing the CMOS, or installing a utility program that will allow you to do so.

    For a new installation of Win 8, ONLY have your OS drive connected to the Intel SATA3_0 port, no other drives connected! Clear the CMOS before you start, essential! Set the SATA mode to AHCI on the Intel controller, there are TWO AHCI entries, one for Intel, the other for ASMedia. Disable the ASMedia until your system is stable. You can install in AHCI mode on the Intel controller without loading a driver, Win 8 has its native storahci driver, and you can load the Intel IRST driver (for AHCI or RAID) after the OS installation, no problem.

    If you plan on using RAID in the future, set the SATA mode to RAID now. You do NOT need to create a RAID array now, a single drive used on an Intel SATA controller set to RAID is treated as being in AHCI mode. You can install the "F6" IRST driver during that phase of the OS installation.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    One thing you seem to be confused about is the ASMedia and Intel drivers. Your board has two SATA controllers, the Intel and the add on ASMedia. Each has their own driver, Intel IRST for the Intel chipset, and the ASMedia AHCI driver for the ASMedia chipset. Those drivers cannot be used on the other controllers, they simply will not install. The only way you even booted using the ASMedia driver is if you had your OS drive connected to the top two SATA ports (ASMedia controller ports), that are empty in your picture. DO NOT use them for installing or booting your OS!!
    not confused about the 2 chipsets. i've never had any drive, let alone my OS SSD connect to the SATA3 ports controlled by the ASMedia chipset (did you not see the picture i posted?). the OS SSD is connected to the SATA3_0 port controlled by the intel chipset

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Try disabling the ASMedia controller in the Storage Configuration screen in the UEFI, that might be causing the slowdown. Do not turn on Fast or Ultra Fast boot until things are stable. Actually, if you did enable Ultra Fast boot with Windows 8, you will NOT be able to get back into the UEFI, without clearing the CMOS, or installing a utility program that will allow you to do so.
    i have disabled the ASMedia controller in UEFI. makes no difference - windows still lags at the splash screen.

    i only tested ULTRA FAST to see if that would make a difference and it didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    For a new installation of Win 8, ONLY have your OS drive connected to the Intel SATA3_0 port, no other drives connected! Clear the CMOS before you start, essential! Set the SATA mode to AHCI on the Intel controller, there are TWO AHCI entries, one for Intel, the other for ASMedia. Disable the ASMedia until your system is stable. You can install in AHCI mode on the Intel controller without loading a driver, Win 8 has its native storahci driver, and you can load the Intel IRST driver (for AHCI or RAID) after the OS installation, no problem.
    the SSD was the only drive connected when i installed win8. i did not disable the ASMedia controller during install. i'll keep this in mind if i reinstall the windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    If you plan on using RAID in the future, set the SATA mode to RAID now. You do NOT need to create a RAID array now, a single drive used on an Intel SATA controller set to RAID is treated as being in AHCI mode. You can install the "F6" IRST driver during that phase of the OS installation.
    i'll keep this in mind


    not sure what else i can try. i'm pretty sure it's a windows 8 problem as i've tested just about every setting in UEFI. windows still hangs up at the splash screen

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I smell a fresh Win8 install wafting by ........ Done the right way, sans registry hack
    .
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    went ahead and did another fresh install ... problem solved! i still don't know what the hell i did wrong last time, but i'll outline what i did and the changes made in case others run into the same issue.

    * = changes made from previous fresh install


    1. made UEFI bootable win8 USB drive* (used same USB drive as last time, but was formatted in NTFS. used instructions here)

    2. put Intel SATA drivers (v11.7.0.1013) on USB drive for loading during install* (didn't do this last time)

    3. disconnected all other HHDs except SSD that OS will go on & plugged in UEFI bootable USB drive

    4. clear CMOS (button turns on machine automatically)* (didn't do this last time since all components were new and i didn't think i needed to)

    5. went into UEFI:

    -disabled ASMedia SATA controller* (left enabled last time)
    -set native SATA controller to RAID* (default is AHCI so i'm now sure this was what it was set at last time)
    -changed boot priority to UEFI USB drive* (USB drive was not listed as "UEFI" last time. picture)
    -saved settings and rebooted

    6. went through windows 8 install procedure

    7. deleted partition on SSD and reformatted* (noticed windows 4 partitions, 3 were small and reserved for windows and 1 were the OS would go. only 2 partitions were created last time)

    8. loaded intel SATA drivers*


    windows finished installing and booted straight into the start page. last time, it stalled at the windows logo screen, even the first time it booted. now i don't even see that screen - windows boots straight into the Start page. checked the Task Manager and the Last BIOS time is consistently 4.8 - 5.0 seconds!

    i've since changed the intel SATA controller to AHCI b/c it showed and extra screen during POST in RAID. i've also installed all mobo drivers and enabled the ASMedia SATA controller in UEFI. and plugged in the other HHDs. i'm happy to say there's been no slow down in boot up time.

    i still don't know what i did during the last install to cause such a delay in bootup. oh well ... i'm glad things are back to normal. thanks to all who tried to help!

  6. #16
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Quote Originally Posted by haversham View Post
    went ahead and did another fresh install ... problem solved! i still don't know what the hell i did wrong last time, but i'll outline what i did and the changes made in case others run into the same issue...
    .
    .
    .
    i still don't know what i did during the last install to cause such a delay in bootup. oh well ... i'm glad things are back to normal. thanks to all who tried to help!
    We are so glad you were able to figure this out all by yourself!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    We are so glad you were able to figure this out all by yourself!
    you misunderstood. my meaning was the exact opposite. i couldn't have diagnosed without the board's help. when i said, "tried to help," i only meant that we didn't really discover a definite cause for this strange problem.

    why automatically assume that i meant anything negative? if i was so conceited, i would have just posted a simple message like, "i solved it!" why do you think i even took the time to post a followup (to help the board like it's helped me)?

    anyway, i appreciate all the help (from everyone, including you).

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Six of those, a half dozen of them. Much is lost, or added, when one reads posts in forums. Quirky that way I guess, but that's the way it is.

    The important thing is you're up and running at speed. Too, thanks for the nod.

    And especially thanks for your taking the time in posting the details as it may help others in the future.

    --- throwing ice over the thread to cool the jets ---
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  9. #19
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Extreme4 - fresh install of Win 8 boots VERY slow

    Quote Originally Posted by haversham View Post
    you misunderstood. my meaning was the exact opposite. i couldn't have diagnosed without the board's help. when i said, "tried to help," i only meant that we didn't really discover a definite cause for this strange problem.

    why automatically assume that i meant anything negative? if i was so conceited, i would have just posted a simple message like, "i solved it!" why do you think i even took the time to post a followup (to help the board like it's helped me)?

    anyway, i appreciate all the help (from everyone, including you).
    Ok, great, my apologies. It did not read that way to me, but as wardog said, there is a missing aspect of communication with a text only medium.

    FYI, what moved me to say that was, your post of the techniques to fix your problem was a combination of wardog's general suggestion to reinstall, and my details on how to best install from scratch. That was no big deal, but the final "tried to help" made it sound like our suggestions were not what solved the problem, when it sure seems that they were.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •