Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 8 restarts instead of shutting down - Asrock H61M/U3S3

Default Windows 8 restarts instead of shutting down - Asrock H61M/U3S3

Hi all,

As per subject, my H61M/U3S3 board works fine (BIOS updated to 2.20), except that it can't shutdown from Windows 8. Hitting the shutdown button causes it to restart instead.
    The only way to shutdown is to press the shutdown button on my chassis during POST. Any help welcomed. tq.

Default Re: Windows 8 restarts instead of shutting down - Asrock H61M/U3S3

Any help ? It's still happening.
    I think it does shut down, but powers up again immediately.
    Any suggestions ?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Wow, you are patient, over a year since your first post! That deserves some attention.

First, you should be able to press and hold down the power button on your PC case for several seconds, and it will shutdown, just keep holding it down until it shuts off.

Have you ever checked the power button options in your Windows power plan? On the main Power Plan screen, there is a selection, Choose what the power buttons do.

So clicking Shutdown in Win 8 just restarts the PC? That sounds like a problem with the switch in the PC case, or the connection to the mother board.

Find your board's manual and check the connections to the case. It's easy to make a mistake. Does your case have a Reset button, and does it work?

You could try BIOS 2.40 which is fairly new. You have not told us about any of your other hardware, like case, power supply, CPU, and yes it can matter.

Thumbs up Re: Windows 8 restarts instead of shutting down - Asrock H61M/U3S3

Solved it (finally).
    Turning off "fast start up" solved it. Too lazy to diagnose via powercfg /lastwake to see if there was any other reason/root cause.
    Thanks anyway parsec.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Great, but I didn't know you were using that feature... not that I would have known to tell you to disable it.

Good information for others in the future, thanks for that!

Thread Information