Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

Default Re: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRoma View Post
    Well, I've gone through 3 replacement ROMs for this motherboard now and the issue has just reappeared, again! I've had enough of it, time to move on. Can anyone recommend a good replacement for my ASRock Extreme 4? How is the Asus Z77 Pro or Gigabyte Z77X-D3H? Thanks.

I did notice before this issue reappeared that when I turned on my PC this morning it did a quick double boot.

Do you have a K unlocked CPU, can you change your multiplier higher than the default maximum (38x for my 3570K), is your IGP (Intel HD4000) selectable in the BIOS, is it listed in Device Manager in Windows???

ASRock support, are you there, what is this issue I'm having repeatedly, what is Intel ME firmware and why is mine going bad??
    I have this issue as well..

The funny thing is that, the problem started yesterday with the "CPU RATIO PER CORE" disapear.. but i was still able to OC at 4.6. my cpu never went over 60c( i got good water cooler) and everything worked fine..

This morning i checked CPU-Z and it was only 3800mhz.. i was like wtf?! then i check to notice i cant go over 38 anymore!!

AXTU is bugged at 38 too... wow.

Obsolete81 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

I also have this issue and started a thread about it. Just wanted to add myself to the list of people that this has occurred to.

Just wanted to bump this post. I've started having this issue, and I haven't found any other information on the net regarding it.

I have the z77 extreme4 with an i7 2600k.

No matter what I do, I'm stuck at the stock 3.4ghz. When I bought the board, I was stable for months at 4.5ghz. This is really frustrating, because this is my second z77 board I've had an issue with, the first which died on me after 2 months and I could not get refunded. Irrelevant, but just a buyer beware for anyone thinking of going Asrock. I'll never buy a product from them again.

Anyway, I've tried both upgrading bios and flashing older bios to fix the problem. Nothing will change the fact that the multiplier is completely locked down.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please post it here.

Oh, and in addition. Even though I contacted support about this issue (obviously a known issue), they refused to help me on grounds that they don't offer "overclocking support." I told them I don't need overclocking support, I need to know how to fix their broken motherboard so that it functions as its supposed to. All further responses have fallen on deaf ears. I'm now sending support tickets every day until they help me.
    Last edited by redgar; 06-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.

TonyRoma is offline Junior Member

I bought my Extreme 4 from work, I'd had enough replacing ROM's and decided to have it replaced. On removing my board I noticed severe discolouration around one of the IC's next to the 2nd PCI-express slot (back edge of the board). I'm quite sure this was the cause of all my problems. On replacing the motherboard all has been working perfectly since. I would suggest if you're having the multiplier issue as I did, then your motherboard is very likely faulty. Get it replaced, don't take no for an answer if it's under 12 months old. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRoma View Post
    Just for clarity...

I've had this motherboard some months now. I did overclock the moment I started using, it worked perfectly at 4.4Ghz too, even passed all the tests I've used. I use AIDA64 to monitor everything. Out of the blue I noticed my multiplier under load wouldn't go beyond 38x. I tried everything to get it working again to no avail. Then I contacted Asrock support via email, the support guy was great. He mailed me a new ROM chip. On changing the ROM everything worked perfectly again for some months. But once again this issue has raised it's ugly head again. I do have a spare ROM here for this motherboard, but I don't want to have to keep replacing ROM's every couple of months.

To any guests viewing this with the same issue, take the time to sign up and post your findings please.
    Hi Tony, (and everyone else!);
    I'm new to Tweak Town, I just registered a few minutes ago. However, I've often read posts in this website for quite some time whenever I was searching for answers.

The reason why I'm posting is partly in response to the request in your last sentence but also because Ibrehim's (the topic starter), initial post! When I read what he said I had to laugh because it was almost IDENTICAL to an email I sent someone last night!

I've had my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 for almost 2 years and yet, I had the exact same thing happen to me 2.5 days ago! I just bought a Sabretooth last night but I can say that it seems this is not an isolated problem. Apparently it's happened to many people and I found many posts about it!

I'll fill out my system specs ASAP but just for the record, I'm also a builder and though I've only built and/or upgraded about 6 Desktop systems in the past 3 years, I have a pretty good handle on what's what. When my mobo did "the big plunge" a few days back, I spent every hour I was awake trouble shooting and that's no exaggeration! It all amounted to one thing and one thing only: the motherboard!

I have to go and I know this is an old topic but I posted for the sake of anyone else who is unfortunate enough to have this happen to their Asrock mobo, (a brand I've now decided to stay away from for more than just this reason).
    Thanks, for all the info and I know that when my Sabretooth gets here, I'll be back with some questions, I'm sure! ;)
    Rich

Thumbs up Re: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

I had the same issues with my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k:
    Support just sent me a new bios and it is working again. Here's what they wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. It appears that the Intel ME firmware was corrupted. This is usually caused by an interrupting in a BIOS update procedure. Sometimes first the BIOS is update, and after a restart an Intel ME firmware update might follow. If the USB flash drive with the BIOS file is pulled from the system too early, the ME firmware update cannot be executed it it might get corrupted.

Sometimes we also see it happening in some OC scenarios. Sometimes we cannot find the exact reason. On later generations motherboards ME firmware corruption become much more rare.

Kind regards,
    ASRock Support

Hi Wopro,
    It's been over a year since I posted that and apparently, I was still subscribed, (which turns out to be a good thing). I would have updated my results in a follow-up post back then if I remembered all the different websites I had posted in. I have to chuckle about some of what I said because I just bought another Asrock mobo about 2.5 weeks ago, (so much for never buying another Asrock board).

OK, so that said, the problem with the Asrock Z77 eXtreme4 mobo I had, turned out to be a BIOS chip. So I ordered one directly from Asrock, (I think it cost me about $15.00 flat).

Because I had doubts that it was the BIOS chip, I bought a used Z77 Sabertooth... TWICE!

(Funny Story... and I had some time to kill, so...):
    Of course, I paid $180 for the first Sabertooth board and $300 for the second. Both of them were DOA at the door. I was careful to photograph the box before I opened it, then video taped the entire un-boxing on through to the installation, and ultimately to each board's failure. The first one didn't even light up, (on board status lights never even turned on).

The seller seemed to know that it wasn't any good and immediately refunded me. He turned down my offer to send him a copy of the video I took so he could see I hadn't bent any pins, (that weren't already bent), or installed it incorrectly AND he didn't want me to send back the mobo...

Hmmm... could he have known the board was dead? Did he think I was going to just 'cut my losses' and go away? I don't know, but he did waste a week of my time and three solid days & nights of intense trouble shooting.

The second Sabertooth was also bad but it did light up and go through the entire pre-post test. The seller charged me $300.00 and swore that the socket pins were not bent. He even sent me a blurry, low-resolution, badly lit, and focused, cell phone pic to prove it, lol. However, I received the package and the first thing I noticed before I opened the box were the holes & tears that indicated the more typical 'ground-shipping handling techniques'.

I also heard a very obvious and distinct rattling and could feel the contents literally sliding back & forth within the box. Of course, I used the video camera to record these sounds and the box's condition.

Then I contacted the seller, (by email because he didnít want to speak on the phone), BEFORE I even thought to open that box. I told him what I saw and heard and asked him if he wants me to return it to him w/o opening the box before I did. He sounded cordial and said he was confident that the board was fine.

That is, until I asked him if he wanted me to send the video I took which would show the condition of the box's exterior and let him hear the rattling and sliding contents.

He still insisted I could open the box and the board would be fine so I said "ok" and told him I would have a video camera running on the entire process that I was about to go through.

I also told him that I was a professional photographer and would use my professional equipment and experience to take high-res, 300DPI, macro zoomed images of the socket that he could be sure would be flash assisted, and razor sharp at F2.8.

Well that's when his disposition changed because he realized he wasn't going to get away with blaming me for some kind of product damage. I opened and saw that he didn't have the board in the original mobo box. Incredibly, he placed the board in a box that was 2" longer and 4" wider than the board itself. Then he put that box in another box that fit a little better but was still 2' wider than the first box.

Incredibly, he placed a single sheet of newspaper in with the box that contained the box, which contained the motherboard!! He didn't put any packing material in with the actual motherboard whatsoever!!

Seriously, I saw this guy coming from a mile away and wasn't at all surprised when, (after another wasted 2 days of troubleshooting), I found that the B DIMM slots were both dead. Of course, the video ran through the process and when I contacted the seller, he would not reply to any of my emails for at least two days each!

I was very polite and diplomatic and asked him if he had any suggestions of what I could try that I haven't already tried and noted in my email. His reply was blunt and he straight out accused me of bending the socket pins, (lol, surprise, surprise!).

I sent him pics of the pins using a Nikon D2X and a Nikkor 105mm F28 macro lens, (an unbeatable combination). The shots of the socket pins were so sharp and well-lit that you could cut yourself on them! I sent him at least 8 pictures of that socket taken in individual, close-up 'quadrants' from every angle as well as the entire socket all at once.

The pictures could be zoomed in so tight without losing sharpness that you could bring in just 4 pins at a time, (in other words, they were NOT cell-phone pics). He probably didn't even look at them and instead, insisted that the pins & board were fine when it left his house. I agreed that I saw NO bent pins upon close inspection but the DIMMs were dead nonetheless.

The crook didn't even want to accept responsibility for the damage due to his very deliberately poor packing job! He was real pissed off because he knew I had video and hi-res pics to prove that the pins weren't bent when they left my house in a VERY well packed return to him.

He emailed me about a week later, (even though the board was received by him two days after I shipped it back), and said he found 5 bent pins and insisted I bent them. He claimed that was the reason for the two bad "B" DIMM slots.

I again offered him video and pictures to prove the pins were perfect right up to the moment I slipped the mobo back into the static-free bag. He completely ignored any of my attempts to try and assure him that the board was in exactly the same condition it was when I received it.

I told him to apply some logical thought to this and he would see that I had nothing to gain in buying the board only to ship it back. I not only lost a lot of time trying to get the board to work, but also sacrificed many additional hours video recording everything for his own benefit and consideration.

I offered him the ability to have a 'front-stage' seat to everything his board went through from the moment it got to my door, until the moment it left, (at the expense of many hours of my time), which is something very few people would've done.

Still, he repeatedly refused to look at even a few of these pictures and/or video clips. To me, that was very suspicious and strongly implied that he had nefarious intentions to stick some unprepared buyer with a dead board (that he probably killed years ago).

He became increasingly belligerent w/o any provocation on my part and accused me of trying to rip him off. However, he was that way right from the start even though I remained polite, cordial, and used tact and diplomacy, (although by now, I was entirely convinced he had planned to swindle someone from the beginning).

By then, I had contacted eBay and sent them all my pics, vids and correspondences.

EBay told him that the picture of the socket pins that he sent before he shipped the board was absolutely unacceptable as his "evidence" of the pin condition.

So he charges the eBay investigator of conspiring with me and out of anger, he sent them very well lit, sharp and focused shots of the socket pins to show their bent condition, which he claimed were like that when he received the board back from me, (like the people he was dealing with in eBay were idiots).

Of course, eBay said the pictures only proved that he could have sent clear pictures of the pin's "pre-shipped" condition and strongly implied that his intention to deceive the buyer was deliberate. They said he needed to refund the money to them, (eBay had already refunded me so they were after him for their money).

Well, if you got this far , the moral to the story is to always cover your butt. When you take the risk of buying used items sight-unseen, consider video recording and photographing your received purchases as soon as they get to your door and before you open the box to avoid being someone's "pay-day". Especially if you have any reason to believe there may be damage. Not only that, but go through the trouble of taking sharply focused, well-lit images and details otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

The video recording and photography I did through both of the Sabertooth purchases cost me hours of additional time in an otherwise, simple process of 'accepting the package and opening the box'. However, it saved me almost $500.00 that I'm sure at least $300.00, would have been lost to an internet schmuck.

After I successfully recovered my money, I bought a never before opened, MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC, (still under warranty), for about $260.00. No doubt, one of the best mobos I've ever had and it ran great for months. About three weeks ago, I fumbled and dropped it while transferring it to a new case so I sent it to MSI for repair. They can take 5+weeks to turn around a repair so I bought a new Asrock Z97 OC Formula.

It's not as good as the MSI but then, it cost $120+ less and actually is an above par board in that price range. It has 12 VR phases and 2 BIOS chips (just like the MSI) and I'm able to OC my i7-4790K to 4.8GHz without any trouble. The MSI has got my CPU to 4.9Ghz and I haven't yet done that with the Asrock but I probably can if I tried hard enough.

However, as good as the OC Formula is, Iíll be replacing it with my MSI when I get it back. Nevertheless, the Asrock Z97 OC Formula will likely replace the Z77 eXtreme4 in my other desktop. I'll have to buy a new CPU if I do that, so I don't see it happening soon, (maybe a few more months).
    FWIW
    PS Thatís the most Imocons Iíve ever used! LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information