Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

Default Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

Hello

I have a huge problem with this motherboard now, everything was woking flawlessly but the 2.7 update seems to have messed up all with my multiplier settings, now some settings of the cpu oc tweaker are missing (aditional turbo volatge,internal PPL, among others) and I cannot seem to find them.

But the biggest problem now is that now I can't even increse the multipler , there is like a virtual limit for the multiplier up to 38. So even if I write a higher value it wont let me and it reverts back to 38, it's super weird. So I end up being stuck at 38.

I have tried to clearing the cmos from the back but no use, tried also to downgrade the bios and no change at all. Also I have the disable turbo unticked in real temp.
    Even tried to OC with AXTU and nothing, there a limit of 3.8 there aswell...

I have an unlocked Ivy bridge i5 with a asrock z77 extreme4.

I have also noted that mt RAM is underclocked at 800, instead of being 1600. Also my cpu now runs constant 3.6 whereas before it lowered depending on usage (offset mode).

I hope someone can help me please, because I ve spend a lot of time on it and I have found nothing.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

I use the same board, CPU, and version 2.70 of the UEFI, and I have none of those problems. There have not been other reports of your problem with this UEFI in this forum.

What method did you use to update to 2.70?

Did you try removing the CMOS battery, to perform a "hard" clear of the CMOS? Try reflashing the 2.70 version of the UEFI with Instant Flash, and a USB drive, that always works fine for me.

Default Re: Limit Problem multiplier stuck with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5 3570k

Yes, I did try removing the battery for 5 min and yet nothing has happened, I have reflashed it with an usb drive and nothing...

you might need overnight battery removal to fully clear the cmos,if you flashed to the previous bios without these issues then theres no reason why it shouldnt be working
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have taken out the battery, I will wait until tommorow to put it back. See what happens... It is really strange, becuase even flashing a to a previous bios where everything was perfect now it seems the settings have changed, and overclocking options more limited as I have explained in my first post.

kick is offline Senior Member

reset all options to standard and repost,then set to ahci and repost again and reboot.the bios may be replaceable if that doesnt work out ..I mean the chip on my mbrd isnt soldered in .Asrock supply them for about $12.
    As usual before a reflash ,even to a previous bios allways set the one you are using to default first.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

TonyRoma is offline Junior Member

I've had this same issue twice now. I contacted a good guy from ASRock support who sent me a replacement ROM which fixed the issue immediately. He told me the Intel ME firmware had likely become corrupt. Only problem is... the issue had recently reoccurred.

I cannot change my multiplier any higher than 38. I can type a higher value, but when I move to another field it reverts back to 38, it will not go any higher. I've also noticed that the IGP (Intel HD4000) on the 3570K is no longer available as an option in the "primary graphic card" field, it's also completely missing in Windows. It used to be present, I remember Windows picking up the drivers for it. I removed my 560Ti to test if the IGP was working, it did not work at all.

I'm sure there used to be a "per CPU" setting that seems to have vanished too. I've reset CMOS, flashed old BIOS, removed battery... only the replacement ROM worked for me. Because it's Christmas and I'm bored out of my mind, I've just removed all RAM and my CPU to inspect the sockets. They all look in perfect working order, no bent pins or anything untoward.

Is my motherboard or CPU at fault here.. they are both features of the CPU (unlocked multiplier & IGP).

Merry Christmas all

parsec is offline Senior Member

Merry Christmas to you too!

I've been using 2.70 on my Z77 EX 4 with an i5-3570K, and it is working perfectly. I've restarted and started it after a shutdown, no problems at all. I have the multiplier at 44, using the All Cores setting, with SpeedStep enabled, and the cores change between 1.6GHz and 4.4GHz just fine.

You've got something weird going on, and IMO it is not the 2.70 UEFI that is the cause. You've tried the right things, like the battery replacement, etc. You are not using the auto-OC feature, are you? I don't.

I might change my other Z77 EX 4 with an i7-2600K to 2.70, using 2.50 now. That PC POSTs and boot so fast now, the fastest board I've ever used, but SSDs in RAID 0, plus TRIM helps.

How are you clearing the CMOS, with the jumper or CMOS clear button?

Just for clarity...

I've had this motherboard some months now. I did overclock the moment I started using, it worked perfectly at 4.4Ghz too, even passed all the tests I've used. I use AIDA64 to monitor everything. Out of the blue I noticed my multiplier under load wouldn't go beyond 38x. I tried everything to get it working again to no avail. Then I contacted ASRock support via email, the support guy was great. He mailed me a new ROM chip. On changing the ROM everything worked perfectly again for some months. But once again this issue has raised it's ugly head again. I do have a spare ROM here for this motherboard, but I don't want to have to keep replacing ROM's every couple of months.

Even with this issue my PC is working perfectly... but I cannot change multi to anything higher that 38x and the HD4000 IGP is completely missing in BIOS and in Windows. The option to enable it is missing. It's nothing to do with any version of BIOS, I've tried them all from version 1.20 to the current 2.70. Removing battery, clearing CMOS does not help... the only cure I've seen so far is replacing the ROM chip. I guess that alone means my CPU is actually fine or those missing functions wouldn't come back... so I guess this ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 is goosed.

Hans from ASRock support told me the Intel ME firmware was likely corrupt. I have a long history of building/overclocking PC's, but I dont even know what Intel ME firmware is or how I could go about replacing/reflashing it.

Getting a little tired of this weird issue, I really like this motherboard and it's feature for the money. But I don't need this constant hassle.

@parsec - I notice you're using 2x SSD's for RAID0 on your system. I have a Crucial M4 128Gb SSD for my Windows but also have a spare, is it actually beneficial to change my set up to run using RAID0 other than for bragging rights and awesome benchie scores?

To any guests viewing this with the same issue, take the time to sign up and post your findings please.
    Last edited by TonyRoma; 12-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Well, I've gone through 3 replacement ROMs for this motherboard now and the issue has just reappeared, again! I've had enough of it, time to move on. Can anyone recommend a good replacement for my ASRock Extreme 4? How is the Asus Z77 Pro or Gigabyte Z77X-D3H? Thanks.

I did notice before this issue reappeared that when I turned on my PC this morning it did a quick double boot.

Do you have a K unlocked CPU, can you change your multiplier higher than the default maximum (38x for my 3570K), is your IGP (Intel HD4000) selectable in the BIOS, is it listed in Device Manager in Windows???

ASRock support, are you there, what is this issue I'm having repeatedly, what is Intel ME firmware and why is mine going bad??
    Last edited by TonyRoma; 01-20-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information