Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z68 Pro: Cannot install Intel Management Engine because of severe Intel Setup bug, please help

Default Asrock Z68 Pro: Cannot install Intel Management Engine because of severe Intel Setup bug, please help

Hi,

I have upgraded the BIOS of my Asrock Z68 Pro motherboard, and now try to install the latest Intel Management Engine (Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.2.1410) from the Asrock Download page, which is recommended by Asrock to do so. But that setup fails with an obscure error message telling me that at least one component of the setup could not be installed, here is a screenshot in German language.

I tried to dig a bit deeper into that problem, and found that this error always happens when the setup tries to install the vcredist Package. I tried to manually install this package, but the package tells me it cannot be installed, because I already have a newer version of vcredist. This happens for both the 32 and 64 Bit version.

So to me, this looks like a very severe setup bug in Intels Management Enginge Setup, because the setup will fail on all systems which already have a newer vcredist installed. How can this pass quality control? Who broke this, and how can I finally install the Intel Management Engine successfully on my Win7 x64 system?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Pro: Cannot install Intel Management Engine because of severe Intel Setup bug, please help

It is always faster and easier to help anyone after you create a detailed hardware list in the portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers, thanks!

For example, what CPU are you using, it makes a big difference with your situation.

mcg0987 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Pro: Cannot install Intel Management Engine because of severe Intel Setup bug, please help

I have exactly the same problem. This is my short system report:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge-DT XE, D2)
    3300 MHz (33.00x100.0) @ 1596 MHz (16.00x99.8)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
    Chipset: Intel Z68 (Cougar Point) [B3]
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS Version: P1.00 04/27/2011
    Memory: 20480 MBytes @ 665 MHz, 9.0-9-9-24
    - 2048 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905403-174.A00LF
    - 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - Crucial Technology BLS8G3D1609DS1S00.
    - 2048 MB PC10600 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905403-174.A00LF
    - 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - Crucial Technology BLS8G3D1609DS1S00.
    Graphics: Intel Sandy Bridge-DT GT2 - Integrated Graphics Controller [D2/J1/Q0] [ASRock]
    Intel HD Graphics 3000, 2108 MB
    Graphics: ASUS EN8600GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM
    Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
    Drive: SAMSUNG HD103SJ, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Drive: ST3500320AS, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Drive: SanDisk SSD U100 32GB, 31.3 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s <-> USB
    Sound: Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
    Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

vuldin is offline Junior Member

Was this Intel management engine install being done on a system with an older version already installed? What happens when the most updated version of the software is installed on a brand new installation of Windows (without any other software installed)?

parsec is offline Senior Member

mcg0987, there are two reasons that might explain your problem installing the new version of the IME software (although I can only assume that is what you tried to do, since you did not mention otherwise.)

1. Your system info shows you have BIOS version: P1.00 04/27/2011, which is the original BIOS for your board. The new version of the IME software is meant to be used ONLY after a BIOS update to version 2.10. BIOS 2.10 allows the use of Ivy Bridge processors, and also updates the IME firmware that is part of the BIOS image on the CMOS chip. If you have not updated to that BIOS version, or a newer one, the new IME software should not be used with the earlier version of the IME firmware.

2. Some versions of the IME software have an automatic update process that runs occasionally, and may be responsible for updating the vcredlist. I cannot identify which versions of IME have the automatic update process with perfect accuracy, since the versions vary by chipset and OS version, among other aspects. Personally, the automatic IME software update process fails whenever it runs on my Z77 PCs. I don't see the automatic IME update process with IME software version 10, used on Z97 boards.

vuldin, I have installed IME software on new Windows installations, and updated the IME software on existing Windows installations with IME software installed. I've never had the OP's problem. OTOH, I've only done this on Z77, Z87, and Z97 board PCs, which have different versions of the IME software than that used on Z68/6 series chipset boards. IMO, the IME software used with 6 series chipsets is rather buggy, and add to that the BIOS update to accommodate Ivy Bridge CPUs, things can become confused all to easily.

Intel removed IME software from their own software and driver download center a while ago, while still providing chipset/INF, IRST drivers, graphics and network drivers, and other software that can be used on any compatible Intel chipset boards. You can find IME versions specific to Intel's own mother boards, but how generic they are is another story.

IME software remains mysterious in its overall function, and is a necessary evil for some chipset features to work correctly. I no longer consider it a simple driver update like an IRST or network driver, and I've never seen proof that an IME update improves the functioning of a PC. I don't consider the failure of the installation of a new version to be an issue or something to be worried about.

Thread Information