Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed New BIOS Chip In z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, new i5-3350p, and new HD 7850 -- No Video Signal??

bangsheadondesk is offline Junior Member

Default Installed New BIOS Chip In z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, new i5-3350p, and new HD 7850 -- No Video Signal??

I'm not a total newbie at computer building/upgrading, but I've got a problem that I having trouble with. I am hoping I am missing something simple and someone here can help me figure this out.

I was previously running the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 with a i3-2120 and using the integrated Intel HD graphics only without a discrete card. I recently bought a i5-3350p and a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850.

I realized I must update the BIOS on the motherboard to use the Ivy Bridge processors, so I got ASRock to send me a new BIOS chip. I installed the chip without any problems (as far as I can tell). I also added in the i5-3350p and the HD 7850 at the same time.

I powered everything on--it booted up, no beeps, and stayed on, but there was no video signal to my monitor. I then tried connecting the computer to my TV using the HDMI port instead of the DVI and have the same problem.

One thought I have is that the CPU support list for the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 states the i5-3350p is supported with BIOS ver 2.3, but I have no idea what BIOS version is on the new chip that ASRock sent me. I am guessing it is 2.1, because I got it a while back (2-3 months maybe) before I bought the component upgrades. Maybe the i5-3350p not being supported is a problem, but does that make sense if the computer boots up and stays on, and also why there is no video signal?

Now I'm thinking maybe I should have went with a CPU model that has integrated GPU.

Anyone see what I am doing wrong or where the problem is? Hope to be back up and running soon. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Installed New BIOS Chip In z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, new i5-3350p, and new HD 7850 -- No Video Signal??

Do you still have your old CPU? You can manually flash to the latest BIOS then shut down put in your new CPU? Tried clearing the cmos?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Installed New BIOS Chip In z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, new i5-3350p, and new HD 7850 -- No Video Signal??

No I do not have the old CPU. Sold it to pay for the new one.

Do you think the problem is with the BIOS? Would that cause the video problem?

I have not cleared the CMOS. There is a button for that right? Is that something I should have done after installing the BIOS chip and new components?

I tried clearing the CMOS by unplugging the power and holding the CLR CMOS button on the back of the case for over a minute. Booted it back up and there is no video. I am looking at the DR Debug LED--it cycled through a bunch of codes, stalled on "A6" for a minute and is now stuck on "d6". Code "0xD6" in my manual means: "No Console Output Devices are found."

I'm not sure if "d6" (on the Dr Debug LED) is the same as "0xD6" (in the manual), but I am assuming it is. I Googled that code definition and it seems to define the exact problem I am having with my video card not being recognized/no display. From my search, it appears there are quite a few other people who have had this problem with ASRock boards.

From my search it seems I may need a custom BIOS or another BIOS update. Hopefully someone will see this thread and will know what to do in this situation for sure.

funguseater is offline Junior Member

Hi

Sorry to tell you but your CPU does not have integrated graphics, that is what the "p" is for. But your GPU should still work ! Do you have another GPU to test in the PCI slot?

Is the GPU fully inserted and plugged in to the PCI power plug? (I know dumb question.)

Oh make sure any MVP setting you may have are disabled in BIOS they might interfere due to lack of integrated GFx?

Just some thoughts
    Fungi
    Last edited by funguseater; 12-18-2012 at 07:12 AM.

your disabling onboard graphics/igpu in the bios?? and setting pci or peg as first display? if not it might still be trying to boot/use the onbaord graphics and not the graphic card hence black screen
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funguseater is offline Junior Member

Hi

One other suggesstion, sometimes after too agressive of an overclock my BIOS seems to "lock" and even removing the battery does not help. At times I have to reset CMOS the normal way (either button/jumper/battery) but I also have to turn off the power switch on my PSU and hold the power button on, some leds usually light for a second before draining the power from the capacitors then I can reboot back into BIOS. Might help?

Fungi

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    your disabling onboard graphics/igpu in the bios?? and setting pci or peg as first display? if not it might still be trying to boot/use the onbaord graphics and not the graphic card hence black screen
    Well there is no iGPU on the i5-3350p, so there is no onboard graphics to disable--though I may still need to change that setting in the BIOS if that is what is causing the problem. However, I can't see anything, so I can't change those settings to see if that fixes it. Also, I don't hear Windows sound effects after it boots up and don't hear any error beeps either. I'm not sure what's going on after it boots up other than it displaying the "d6" code: "No Console Output Devices are found."

Frustrating situation. I regret getting the i5-3350p--maybe I will try to return it LOL.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you have not cleared the CMOS/BIOS correctly. You haven't done anything with the CMOS clear jumper on the mother board, have you?

If not, try this. Start the PC. Shortly afterwards, press and hold the Clear CMOS button for one second. While you hold the button in, the PC will shut off. When you release the button, the PC will start again. This will actually clear the CMOS, and help you get a display to the screen, hopefully.

Which output on the video card are you using? I suggest either DVI or HDMI. If your monitor has multiple input cables connected to it, you may need to select the DVI, etc, input manually on the monitor.

BTW, you are not getting anywhere near booting Windows, you are stuck in the POST process (Power On Self Test). The codes that you see displayed are POST codes, and if POST completes fine, the display shuts off, and only then does Windows begin to boot.

If this doesn't work, you will need to try a hard clear of the CMOS. More on that later if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    It sounds like you have not cleared the CMOS/BIOS correctly. You haven't done anything with the CMOS clear jumper on the mother board, have you?

If not, try this. Start the PC. Shortly afterwards, press and hold the Clear CMOS button for one second. While you hold the button in, the PC will shut off. When you release the button, the PC will start again. This will actually clear the CMOS, and help you get a display to the screen, hopefully.

Which output on the video card are you using? I suggest either DVI or HDMI. If your monitor has multiple input cables connected to it, you may need to select the DVI, etc, input manually on the monitor.

BTW, you are not getting anywhere near booting Windows, you are stuck in the POST process (Power On Self Test). The codes that you see displayed are POST codes, and if POST completes fine, the display shuts off, and only then does Windows begin to boot.

If this doesn't work, you will need to try a hard clear of the CMOS. More on that later if necessary.

No I never touched any jumpers, only the button--while the computer was off and unplugged (I guess I did it wrong). I just did what you suggested and pressed the clr cmos button while the computer was on and it did turn off and then on again when I released. Unfortunately the display is still not working.

Right now I am using the HDMI connection to a TV because my lcd monitor only has VGA and I was using an adapter which I had thought might be the problem. When selecting HDMI1 on my TV it says "Retrieving Data..." for a while and then "No Signal!" blue screen comes up.

Yes, I figured I was not getting into Windows since the Dr Debug was stuck on "d6".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information