Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Default Re: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

I too am having the same problem with my new FX 8350 rigs at stock settings. I just got 3 identical setups of the following:

AMD FX-8350 Vishera
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G MicroATX
    Pareema 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1333
    Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400W

BIOS version F4
    Windows 7 x64

All of the setups fail Prime95 blend the same way, with any 2 cores dropping out before reaching stability at 50C. I tried changing the RAM slots. I tried upping the voltage slightly for the RAM. BIOS is up to date. Memtest86+ passed fine. I'm out of ideas beyond RMAing the motherboard and trying a different model. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rainguyry View Post
    I'm out of ideas beyond RMAing the motherboard and trying a different model. Thoughts?
    rainguyry,

Not to come off sounding rude but would you kindly start your own thread so as not to complicate reading through this one.

And please, before you do, would you go HERE and scroll down to fill in your "System Specs".

Thanks,
    wardog
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

pmarcus,

On the box with the MV-3V4G3D/US that you'll/we'll be testing today, do you have a graphics card that you can swap in that does not require an aux 6 or 8 pin to power?

If you do, with this card installed, please clear the cmos, reboot, reenter bios choose bios Defaults, reboot, reenter bios to make necessary changes(mem speed and timing, voltages, AHCI, Boot order, Time, etc etc), reboot and now into Windows to test.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Okay,

Some initial tests based upon suggestions.

This is for the system with the samsung memory and 430W power supply.

CMOS settings initially cleared and reset to default.
    These are the ONLY setting changed in the bios:

Memory timing manual 1600
    timings set to 11-11-11-28 per manf spec and consistent with values read from EEPROM by motherboard
    cpu values set to default
    memory voltage manually set to 1.35V
    Core 3 failed after 5 min processor temp at 63C
    Core 5 failed after 7 min
    Core 7 failed after 8 min

memory voltage set to 1.40V
    Core 4 failed after 40 minutes processor temp at 62C

memory set to 1.45V
    core 1 and 2 failed after 5 minutes

set CPU to 1.3625 memory still at 1.45V
    stable overnight processor at 68C

I know this didn't cover every suggestion but I tried to blend in several of them in the time I had last night.

I can try another video card without the 12V power input if I snag one from the office in a few days. I don't feel that this is a power related issue though

I have run video stress tests (furmark) and have not had any glitch or failure. With the processor at 1.365 volts (in this system) I can run prime95 and furmark without issue which should be quite power hungry compared to just prime95 at stock voltage. I'd like to rerun this though as I don't have it in my notes (just to be sure). Again if you (wardog) feel strongly about it I can get one out of a system at the office.

I'm running a prime95 test now with 1.3675 core voltage and samsung memory set to the spec value of 1.35V.

Thanks for the help and attention wardog.

prime 95 has been running for a few hours now:
    samsung memory 1600 11-11-11-28 1.35V (all manf spec)
    FX-8350 core voltage 1.365 temp 68C

Prime95 augmented with furmark to stress the video and power system is stable:
    core voltage 1.365 memory voltage 1.35
    cpu temp 70C gpu temp 77C

I think there is a BIOS defect or a motherboard hardware design defect that is causing incompatibility with the FX-8350

I shouldn't have to overdrive the CPU voltage to have stability at stock speeds.

I'm still open to other suggestions but I'm voting thumbs down for the ASROCK 970 extreme 4 at this point, or I suppose it could be a bad batch of AMD processors which seems unlikely.

vdroop?

Grab HWMonitor and look at your v's when idle and more so when you start up prime95. On stock voltages mind you because errors are happening there much sooner, and shouldn't be. Nice because it shows Current and Min + Max for reference.

I have been thinking about and watching voltage droop. I wonder why it is called vroop. I think someone left out the d in droop!

I'm not sure how reliable HW monitor is for the voltage measurement nor how accurate the ADC on the motherboard is. Certainly the resolution isn't great but I have noticed that the voltage seems low if I am to believe it. I'll runs some tests so we can have some data to look at.

with the voltage upped to 1.365...

running idle I see about .9V in HW monitor. With one core running prime 95 (just to get the voltage all the way up without loading the regulators too heavily) I see 1.312 or 1.320.

with prime95 running 8 cores I see 1.25-1.26.

So yes they seem low. I thought LCC was supposed to help with this. I don't know why they don't use a control loop to drive drive the setpoint to match the reading. I guess that is what the LCC feature is supposed to do.

I'll put it back down to stock voltage control and take the readings again.

Interestingly when set to 1.365, in the bios hardware monitor the voltage reads at 1.31 but when setting back to auto (presumably 1.30V) I see 1.33 in the bios hardware monitor.

Back in windows 8, HW Monitor shows around 0.85V to 0.9V at idle. With one core loaded in Prime95 I see 1.37V and with 8 cores loaded I see 1.23V dropping as low as 1.18V

Not very good regulation. I'm surprised to see 1.37V on stock voltage with 1 core! That said I don't know what the regulation spec is on the FX processors but I'd imagine it's reasonably tight if adjustments are in increments of 10s of mV.

Lost core 5 after 10 minutes.
    Last edited by pmarcus; 12-22-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information