Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Default Re: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Try something if you would. If you haven't yet, disable LLC in the bios and retest while watching voltages. Any diff in min max?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Try something if you would. If you haven't yet, disable LLC in the bios and retest while watching voltages. Any diff in min max?
    That is not something I have tried (and should have). Will see what it does.

Turning off LCC didn't go so well with stock voltage:

Core voltage set to automatic
    CPU temp 28C
    idle at 0.856V
    1 core stress as 1.408V
    8 core stress locked up windows after 2 sec
    rebooted and tried 8 core stress again, also locked up windows

set core voltage to 1.3625, again with LCC off
    idle at 0.856V
    1 core stress at 1.336V
    8 core stress at 1.372V temp at 70C after 10 minutes, windows locked up after 20 minutes.

voltage control on this boards sure seems a bit wonky. Odd that in auto voltage mode (presumably 1.30V?) the 1 core stress voltage is 1.408 while when set to 1.365 for the core voltage the HW monitor reading is lower at 1.336V
    Last edited by pmarcus; 12-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Kornivsky is offline Junior Member

I would recommend you get other mob. Really man,I have asrock 970 extreme3 and an fx 8320...and you know what,I'm in same **** as you.. Now I even had a problem,that I can't boot ( screen goes idle/sleeping mode on booting),so I switched back to my old mob. Also,I had problems with temps,with I never really experienced..

Quote Originally Posted by Kornivsky View Post
    I would recommend you get other mob. Really man,I have asrock 970 extreme3 and an fx 8320...and you know what,I'm in same **** as you.. Now I even had a problem,that I can't boot ( screen goes idle/sleeping mode on booting),so I switched back to my old mob. Also,I had problems with temps,with I never really experienced..
    Yeah I don't know. It sure seems fishy to have 3 systems all doing the same thing! Maybe I should send them all back. I hate to have to tear all the systems down and rebuild with new motherboards. It'll take a whole day ACK!

Thanks ASRock! :(

Kornivsky is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmarcus View Post
    Yeah I don't know. It sure seems fishy to have 3 systems all doing the same thing! Maybe I should send them all back. I hate to have to tear all the systems down and rebuild with new motherboards. It'll take a whole day ACK!

Thanks ASRock! :(
    I had same problem. Now,I'm just waiting till 27 date comes,then I'll take my mob back to store and get another one,couse CPU seems performing good,all,what is making this mess is mob.

Dear all,

I did the test with the old version Prime95 v25.9 and could see the symptom.
    Prime95 test will be failed within 30 seconds.

But we use the latest Prime95 ver27.9 to retry the test, 970 Extreme4 with FX-8350 run Prime95 test over 3 hours are passed.
    This issue is related to the test tool "Prime95".

Please kindly dowbload the latest Prime95 ver27.9 on internet and then retry the test again.

If any question, please kindly contact me.
    Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    Dear all,

I did the test with the old version Prime95 v25.9 and could see the symptom.
    Prime95 test will be failed within 30 seconds.

But we use the latest Prime95 ver27.9 to retry the test, 970 Extreme4 with FX-8350 run Prime95 test over 3 hours are passed.
    This issue is related to the test tool "Prime95".

Please kindly dowbload the latest Prime95 ver27.9 on internet and then retry the test again.

If any question, please kindly contact me.
    Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Thank you Emily, These tests were done with the latest version of PRIME95 released in May 2012 according to the prime95 website. The latest version of prime95 listed is 27.7 which is what was used in the testing( http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/). Can you direct us to the 27.9 version? Or was that a typo.

It appears that your assertion that the version of prime95 causing the problem is incorrect. Additionally we have seen, during the burnins at stock voltages general system instability on top of prime95 failure (i.e. blue screens of death in windows 8). If the problem were just the benchmark tool the system stability would not likely be affected. ( I don't think).

We can certainly run some other stress tests as well if the quality of prime95 is in question.

It also doesn't make sense that if prime95 were at fault, that the stability could be cured with core voltage increase.

ASRock is the expert though, if I am misunderstanding or misinterpreting please let us know. We are absolutely looking to you for customer support in this situation and truly appreciate you expertise.

Could you also share the bios settings you are using during your tests. Are you set at pure factory defaults with BIOS 2.2.
    Last edited by pmarcus; 01-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    prime95 v27.9 is not currently available from the mersenne download page but can be retrieved directly using their mirror/repository at:

mersenneforum GIMPS Mirror
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

pmarcus, did you see we were posting the same time of prime95 v27.9?

I just added a link to the 27.9 release.

And yes, it would have been nice to have Emily add the link.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information