Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Default Re: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    pmarcus, did you see we were posting the same time of prime95 v27.9?

I just added a link to the 27.9 release.

And yes, it would have been nice to have Emily add the link.

Will give it a try, though the changelog says "no changes only minor bug fixes" So we will see.

Update:

27.9 has the same behavior is 27.7 cores start dropping out after only a few seconds. With the higher CPU voltages both tools run fine.

Also tried IntelBurnTest (aka Intel Linpack) version 2.54. System BSOD and rebooted within 20 minutes. So it definitely isn't the fault of prime95.

All three systems are still completely unstable at stock CPU voltages. Any other thoughts ASROCK? Is there anything we can do to help you reproduce the problems?
    Last edited by pmarcus; 01-04-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Arni is offline Junior Member

I have the same issue with this motherboard and my AMD FX-8150 cpu. When I run any burn-in test it gives me errors. I used Intel Burn test and OCCT burn test. I am not overclocking anything, everything is working on stock settings. I checked RAM and hard drives, no errors. I wrote 2 emails to ASRock support but did not receive any answer from them. Can someone tell me how much should the cpu voltage be increased to get stability? I hope ASRock will solve this problem.

ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings-2012-12-26-11h43-cpuusage-cpu-usage-png

@ Arni and pmarcus

Turn Turbo off in the bios and retest.

Arni's pic above reminded me that when stressed the FX while in Turbo mode uses half the cores available.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

@ Arni and pmarcus

Arni's pic above reminded me that when stressed the FX while in Turbo mode uses half the cores available.
    Interesting I will try that also. That said, my understanding was that turbo mode was intelligent and only engaged with low thread count operations and should not engage when multi-threaded applications were running. Also, task manager did show 8 cores at 100% utilization at 4GHz during tests. Will certainly try turning off turbo mode anyway to see.
    Last edited by pmarcus; 01-07-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arni View Post
    Can someone tell me how much should the cpu voltage be increased to get stability? I hope ASRock will solve this problem.
    I found that if I increased the CPU core voltage to 1.3675 on two of the system stability was achieved. On one of the systems I needed to go up to 1.3875 to achieve stability, all other values were set to default.

@ Arni and pmarcus

Disabling of turbo mode and setting CPU core voltage back to auto resulted in benchmark crashes within 30 seconds. Sadly it appeared to have no impact. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chozo4 is offline Junior Member

FYI, the Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US is rated at 1.35v. Not 1.5v.
    They are actually recommended for both voltage modes of operation according to the datasheet so even then the voltages should be fine without any risk to the chips with 1.575 being the marked recommended maximum.

Last edited by Chozo4; 01-07-2013 at 02:30 AM.
    PC: 'Scarab' - Model#'s+More
    ...Sometimes I'm scatterbrained and have trouble collecting my thoughts in a post.

Arni is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmarcus View Post
    I found that if I increased the CPU core voltage to 1.3675 on two of the system stability was achieved. On one of the systems I needed to go up to 1.3875 to achieve stability, all other values were set to default.
    thanks, I'll try this voltage. I hope that ASRock will try to find solution to this problem, because otherwise I will send it for replacement for another motherboard. It would be nice to hear something from ASRock tech support.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Lightbulb Re: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

An excellent vdroop and Load Line Calibration article from 2007:
    AnandTech - Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed, pages 5 and 6: Intel Processor Power Delivery Guidelines

A web search using: vdroop vs vdrop will provide additional information.

For advanced study, check out Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums
    Happy reading, especially the The Tech Repository article.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by Chozo4 View Post
    They are actually recommended for both voltage modes of operation according to the datasheet so even then the voltages should be fine without any risk to the chips with 1.575 being the marked recommended maximum.
    Digging into spec sheets half-baked is not usually a winning hand while attempting to use as evidence.

I find the easiest method to head to the manufacturers product page HERE for MV-3V4G3D/US. Where it clearly states 1.35v for the model/pn the OP states is in use.

That here in this thread upping voltages to where "stability' is found is IMO indicative of other factors or mitigating circumstances.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 01-07-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: proved myself wrong on posted data
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information