Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 1 beep in Windows

Bogart is offline Junior Member

Default Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 1 beep in Windows

Randomly I have heard a short single beep from my M/B speaker while in Windows. It is one single short beep that does not repeat. I have no idea what it means as the manual only refers to POST codes. I have run Memtest, GPU tests and Prime95 without triggering this beep. My CPU temps are well below any warning point. My GPU temps are well within spec rarely going over 70 with the most demanding games I have. I have not had any hard-locks, bsods or crashes. No issues booting the PC or anything that would suggest any issues. There is no Event log errors or warnings that match the time when I hear this beep. Any ideas?

Im out of ideas that doesnt involve poking around inside the case or wasting money at a PC shop for an issue that doesnt seem to have any negative impact on my PC.
    Last edited by Bogart; 12-20-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Default Re: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 1 beep in Windows

Unless you have added a 3rd party speaker to the MB's SPEAKER 1 header, your MB out of the box doesn't have a speaker nor a peizo beeper/buzzer either.

And as of Windows Vista, Windows had the beep rewritten to use the default audio device, be it onboard or add-in card. REFERENCE

Any hardware not currently in your System Specs that might be capable of producing an audible tone/warning on its own?

I've never heard of a drive belt on a floppy drive squeal as it aged and dried out, highly unlikely though. Though I do remember programs that used to "touch' the floppy checking for it's existence.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

My case came with a beeper/speaker which is installed on the M/B. It beeps one time when I enter the Bios under the current bios version. Before updating to 2.30 it gave an all clear beep during post. I assume the new version changed the Post codes as it no longer beeps unless entering the Bios. My floppy drive is usb so it is not always plugged in, it has not been plugged in at all during the single beeps. None of the Windows sounds under control panel/sound are similar to what I have heard. All those sounds are played in my headset not the M/B speaker.

I sent emails to the manufactures of my other hardware asking if there are any alarms or beep speakers. I will get back to you regarding that once I received a response.

Any idea what a single short beep in Windows 7 if it indeed the MB beep speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Any idea what a single short beep in Windows 7 if it indeed the MB beep speaker?
    Again, to the best of my knowledge, see link, Windows will not cause the MB speaker to emit a sound.

Maybe a program that you had running that still squawks the mb speaker??
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

First, IMO, given what you have written, you don't have anything to worry about. It's some random glitch causing that beep. Did you try replacing the MB speaker? Although it should not matter, there is a + and - terminal on the MB speaker header, and on the MB speaker itself, check if that is correct, super long shot.

ALL of this is just FYI in case any of it applies to you:

Some PC monitoring software will throw alarms, audible and to the screen, if they decide something is wrong, even when it isn't. Usually those are not to the MB speaker, but who knows? When two monitoring programs are run at the same time, one of them can get bad data for some reason, and throw errors due to the bad data. My Intel made board, with Intel's monitoring software, would go crazy if I ran almost any other monitoring program, voltage readings were insane, impossible temps, etc.

I wonder if a static discharge could create a beep in the MB speaker? Did that just start recently on that PC, and how long have you used it? Cold and dry now in Canada, static season because it is dry, just a thought.

My boards beeps on startup also seem to be somewhat random, cold start should cause a beep as you've described, restarts don't always beep for some reason.

I have an older, low end Nvidia-based video card (GT 240), that will emit a buzzing-like sound for several seconds when the PC wakes from Sleep, or at least I think it's the video card, it sounds nothing like the MB speaker. But it does sound like it comes from some kind of a device that is supposed to make a sound, not a fan vibrating or inductor/capacitor whine. I could be wrong, but I've never heard a mobo beep like that.

The beep noise started in the last few months after I started having issues with my GPU's drivers in WoW. Although that issue seems more related to the game than a general driver issue. This was back in Oct, since then I only had 1 issue with the newest driver causing a TDR with WoW which was fixed by rolling back to an older version. However a lot of users are having issues with this driver after looking at Nvidia's forums so I assume it just a bad driver or conflict with WoW.

None of the programs I use have an alarm function. I havent replaced the M/B speaker yet.

This M/B is a replaced for the first one I sent under a RMA. Given most replacement broads are refurbished it could be a problem caused by the last user, or something that happened at Asrock's repair department. The board could be defective but not to the point of causing system issues. It also could have been an issue caused by the tech that installed the MB. The PC store I bought the system from still have time left on their free labour warranty so they removed the old M/B and installed the new one. Given that the same store's techs errors caused me to RMA the first board and they failed to install the heat-sink properly both times they could of done something wrong. At this point both the board and store warranties are over. I would have to pay labour fees to remove the board and install the new one, shipping fees, RMA fees and the repair fees Asrock charges. I might as well get a new z77 board since I would only pay a small amount more, have a fresh warranty and cut the two weeks downtime.

I tried to trigger an alarm by stopping the CPU fan but no alarm was triggered. The heat build up never hit a point of triggering an alarm due to the CPU's max temperature.

Is there an Alarm this board generates regarding voltage drops or anything dealing with power? That is the only other thing I can think of as I have ran a lot of tests that do not trigger an alarm; Memory, GPU/CPU stress tests, independent tests, etc. Nothing I have done triggers an alarm.

Thread Information