Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Sound when there should be NONE?

orbeavhawk is offline Junior Member

Default Sound when there should be NONE?

I just connected up the jacks for 5.1 sound for myy new 'puter build, FM2A85X Extreme6, I then pulled up the Realtek Audio Setup Software and tested all channels to make sure I had all jacks in proper inputs......ALL AOK. Problem is even with the Audio Muted I am getting "feedback" sound [like wind murmers] for example everytime I move my cursor around - can someone please tell me what I ned to do to STOP this annoyance?

TKS michael

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Sound when there should be NONE?

Download one or both of these freeware programs to see if your system has DPC latency problems:

Post a screen-shot of the results window (not the complete desktop) if you have any questions about the results.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

THANKS ALOT - that 1st one told me that there is NO Problems with my system that would cause that. It had actually gone away - I find it must be related to the AMD Audio Setup, this is new to me with them, been using ATI/AMD for some time now.....but earlier this day, or late last night, a screen came up, tied to AMD etc......and it wanted me to Configure my Audio and theygave 4 different Graphical choices, I had chosen the 1st choice, which was depicting a Cable for Realtek Sound,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway, like I say after I wrote for help the sounds I was concerned about went away...........NOW, when I first started up the 'puter that same AMD Configure Audio came up so this time I chose Speaker/Realtek...........and told ikt it did not need to contact me anyh more.............started dinking aroujnd and that irritating sound is back, when i move the cursor or the HD operates etc.. NOW when I go into AMD Setup in Audio it does not give me the choices that it did before.....like it' set!!! YIKES!!!!

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Unless someone comes up with a better solution, maybe you can uninstall and delete AMD audio software, reboot and reinstall the latest version of the software and/or drivers.

Hopefully someone that has first hand AMD audio experience can give you other alternatives.
    I'm not familiar with AMD hardware and software.
    I guess the lesson here is with AMD audio, never say never.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Someone said it was an electrical problem with the sound chip on the mobo..............he said that only solution is to go to a discrete Sound Card. I do have an older, but good, Sound Blaster in my OLD 'puter but don't know the model # of it etc. I am thinking though that it might just happen to have something to do with ....... when I went back into that AMD Audio Setup Page.......ALL of the options that they offer you to choose from all say DIGITAL - except the "Speakers" option.........I now have Sp;eakers chosen and will wait and see.

Here is what a fella had to say over at another forum:
    It's to do with electrical interference from your motherboard being picked up by the sound chip, Only way to get rid of it is to buy a soundcard.

If it continues I may just go that route - - - I went into my storage area and uninstalled my old [2003] Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS - it is ALL Digital I believe and went to read some of the Manual at their site and see they still have W'7 drivers for it up there..............who knows may be a God Send in reverse.....maybe better than what in "onboard" the mobo?????

In Device Manager, is there an "AMD High Definition Audio Device" under "Sound video and game controller"? If so, that's associated with the HDMI Out as a normal HDMI capable vid card would be.

If there is disable, DISABLE not remove, it and see if the murmors fade.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

You'll get that noise from the analog outputs, any of the back panel output labeled "Speakers", or "Line Out". Very common on mother boards, I have boards that do the same thing, the noise changes while moving the mouse, or depending on the load on the CPU, video card, etc. Music or most audio signals will mask it to some degree, but it is still there. A PC is an electrical noise source nightmare, and the analog audio signal sources and paths are not shielded enough or at all, and there is virtually nothing we can do to fix that.

But is seems to me that there are two (or maybe more) audio processing sources on your board. One is the Realtek audio chip, the other is either on the AMD chipset used on your board, or maybe even part of the video core on your CPU, I'm not an AMD expert at all, so the AMD people may be ripping me on that statement. Given what you wrote, you get noise when using the Realtek audio, but don't when you use the AMD audio, which you are trying to get back, right?

For example, an Intel board based PC I have has three audio devices, one is the main audio chip of the board, the second is part of the Intel "southbridge" chipset, and the third is provided by the PCs video card.

I agree with Prof Jim's suggestions about checking DPC latency (although that will show you there is a problem, but not fix it), and removing and installing again the AMD audio software, which should reset things and give you the selection again. There might be a set defaults button somewhere in the AMD audio software that would accomplish the same thing.

Apparently when you used the AMD audio, it was not affected by the noise issue the Realtek chip is. If you are using the boards rear I/O panel audio outputs, there is nothing you can do to stop the noise in the Realtek's output. If you were using the PC case's audio jack's, you might improve things by moving the cable connecting those jacks to the board, but that may do nothing. The digital audio outputs will not have any noise at all, but you will likely only get two channel audio using them.

If your Sound Blaster card has any kind of speaker or line outputs (aka analog), then it is not all digital. It's internal processing may be all digital, but if it provides an analog output, which is common, then it is not 100% digital.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    In Device Manager, is there an "AMD High Definition Audio Device" under "Sound video and game controller"? If so, that's associated with the HDMI Out as a normal HDMI capable vid card would be.

If there is disable, DISABLE not remove, it and see if the murmors fade.
    Sorry - for taking so long to reply - other "cutting edge" knoibles waylaying me............YES, wardog, I have gone into Device Manager and individually and totally disabled each of those to NO avail............I have a NEW hunch about this terrible annoyance and it has to do with this NEW Samsung 27" HDTV/Puter Monitor.............these sounds I hear in here from in front of my system may just be somehow emanating from this Monitor........after I turn it on and it gets warmed up it emits this constant real high piitch kind of whine and I do here those kind of murmery sounds BUT when I turn it OFF - they all stop. I thought I had the solution a few minutes ago.....RATS....does not appear so........thought, I have seen some HDMI cables that have some kind of roundish-longish do-hickey near each end and I think they take out interference or something....so I aseached my catch all cable drawer and sure enough I had one - kind of short....but made it work for a trial - - - SaameO sameO. I have the Audio totally shut off in the TV/Monitor.

You get so used to that high pitch whine after while hardly realize it's there.

Going to try another HDMI Cable - but don't think things will change..........MUST be something to do to curb this whine and other anomilies between the 'puter and this nice 27"er????

THANKS to ALL & Merry CHRISTmas!

Quote Originally Posted by orbeavhawk View Post
    Sorry - for taking so long to reply - other "cutting edge" knoibles waylaying me............YES, wardog, I have gone into Device Manager and individually and totally disabled each of those to NO avail............I have a NEW hunch about this terrible annoyance and it has to do with this NEW Samsung 27" HDTV/Puter Monitor.............these sounds I hear in here from in front of my system may just be somehow emanating from this Monitor........after I turn it on and it gets warmed up it emits this constant real high piitch kind of whine and I do here those kind of murmery sounds BUT when I turn it OFF - they all stop. I thought I had the solution a few minutes ago.....RATS....does not appear so........thought, I have seen some HDMI cables that have some kind of roundish-longish do-hickey near each end and I think they take out interference or something....so I aseached my catch all cable drawer and sure enough I had one - kind of short....but made it work for a trial - - - SaameO sameO. I have the Audio totally shut off in the TV/Monitor.

You get so used to that high pitch whine after while hardly realize it's there.

Going to try another HDMI Cable - but don't think things will change..........MUST be something to do to curb this whine and other anomilies between the 'puter and this nice 27"er????

THANKS to ALL & Merry CHRISTmas!

CASE Solved: Finally and kind of accidentally I found the culprit causing this terrible annoyance.....it is/was my old Logitech X530 5.1 setup, I have it auto ON when I turn my 'puter on, well I turned it/them off and WALA - beautiful Silence [not of the Lambs either]. I guess they have gotten OLD like me and are ready for the bone yard.......now shopping for good, inexpensive 5.1 replacement.
    Thanks again for your help and concern.

Thread Information