Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on the ASROCK FM2A75M-ITX with the UEFI

Max311 is offline Junior Member

Default Ubuntu on the ASROCK FM2A75M-ITX with the UEFI

Hello gent's,

i plan to build a AMD A8 mini pc, searching for a good motherboard, i found the ASROCK FM2A75M-ITX, on the description it's mentionned that the card is runing UEFI.
    The problem is that i run Ubuntu, and we all know that UEFI is designed by WIndows to annoy Linux ... Is it possible to disable the UEFI boot to the good old BIOS on this motherboard ?

Thank you very much for your kind answers

Default Re: Ubuntu on the ASROCK FM2A75M-ITX with the UEFI

Quote Originally Posted by Max311 View Post
    and we all know that UEFI is designed by WIndows to annoy Linux
    heheh, and here all this time I thought it was the evil Apples doings. UEFI - Membership List
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

And good that that you put Ubuntu in the topic.

Hopefully synak notices it. He(they?) seems to have a solid grasp on Linux.

And UEFI was long overdue.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Unfortunatly if i can't have a clear answer to my question, i will not have the choice and purchase a Bios MB like the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, really i think all the MB supplyers should think about making a manual selector to use UEFI or BIOS .. Just an idea .. It's free :)

I give myself a week to clear this point out (can i choose Bios instead of UEFI in the ASROCK FM2A75M-ITX MB to boot nicely my Ubuntu desktop)

Thks friends

Jeebus dude, relax. Life is too short.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+and+uefi

The first few links using the above Google search provides enough info for me, someone who knows squat about Ubuntu or Linux, to install Ubuntu using UEFI.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The UEFI-style, GUI BIOS does not force you to do an EFI boot, that is a separate option that must be chosen and your disks must be formatted as GPT. Very few users of boards with the UEFI BIOS actually boot in EFI mode. I don't and neither do 99.99% of people in this forum.

You will have no problem with Ubuntu and your board, you will not be booting in EFI mode by default, that is not an issue at all.

Well thank's Parsec ! I think you are very shure of yourself ! I can bye that motherboard now :)

Thank's all, and Merry Christmas !

AJSB is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max311 View Post
    Well thank's Parsec ! I think you are very shure of yourself ! I can bye that motherboard now :)

Thank's all, and Merry Christmas !
    You meant "I can BUY that motherboard" , right ? :p

...and yes, English ISN'T also my natural Language....and yes, i also gonna use LINUX :D

I just received the same motherboard but only in the next days will build the HTPC/Gaming_rig with it....

However, i won't use Ubuntu...i really dislike it....I prefer Linux MINT 14 XFCE or SLACKWARE 14.0....

Quote Originally Posted by AJSB View Post
    You meant "I can BUY that motherboard" , right ? :p

...and yes, English ISN'T also my natural Language....and yes, i also gonna use LINUX :D

I just received the same motherboard but only in the next days will build the HTPC/Gaming_rig with it....

However, i won't use Ubuntu...i really dislike it....I prefer Linux MINT 14 XFCE or SLACKWARE 14.0....

Thank's for your answer, AJSB, Yes i am French .. Doing my best in english ..

Ubuntu is nice to me - of my point of view - it's a great compromise betwen the freedom of Linux and the unification of elements that save time to the user ...

Now i have purchased the MB, and all settled it up, i have now two questions for expert like you guy's :) :

i have a mini ITX computer with 120w alim inside and 12v 10A AC power supply,

First i used my hard drive that i keept from my intel p6200 laptop, and the PC BOOTED !!!! I could'nt believe it, but it was working ! ✯ ✮☆ Merry Christmas with Linuuux !! ☆✮ ✯

- My AC power 10A is getting quite hot, so i wonder if my power supply is strong enough for a A8 3.6Ghz install, what are your guy's thinking about that ?

- Secondly, when i shut down the computer, i could not start it again, when i press the "start" power the fan start and stop just after ... When i keep he start button pushed the fan work but i can hear a small "tic tic tic" like if something in the MB was elctronically stop the starting process ... Any idea ?

Thank's, and .. Best wishes for the new year to all of you !! :)

synack is offline Member

Could be the power supply. I would also confirm all components are seated properly. If necessary, remove and re-insert everything.
    If you are still having issues, pair down to bare minimum. remove everything except power to the motherboard, CPU and Ram and power up that way to see if you even post. then methodically add in one component at a time to find out where the issue is.

You have a 12v 10a AC powersupply?!?! are you sure? That doesn't sound right. *maybe* you have a 12v 10a DC rail... but for AC, all power supplies should be either 110/220v depending on what is correct for your country. and the power supply will output 12v, 5v, and 3.3v.

If your powersupply is truly 120W only, I would be cautious, as the CPU may require up to 100w that doesn't leave much room for anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information