Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XFast RAM "Out of memory" error, can't uninstall

Default XFast RAM "Out of memory" error, can't uninstall

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this problem, I have been using the XFast RAM for a while since I built this machine a few months ago using an ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional motherboard with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with 16GB RAM total and the RAM disk set to 2GB. I've been happy with it, but after a windows update a while ago it started showing an error after boot of "Out of memory". I would just click ok on the dialog and ignore it since the RAM disk seemed to be mounted just fine.

Now I decided I'd like to adjust the ram disk size using the F-Stream Tuning Utility (seems to just be a Fatal1ty themed reskin of their generic tuning utility), but it seems I can't do that without stopping the ram disk first. Well when I try that I get hit with the "Out of memory" error. I tried uninstalling the XFast Ram from my programs list in the control panel so I could reinstall to fix the error, but that just tells me to stop the XFast Ram first and reboot presumably before I can uninstall it altogether.

So I'm at a loss of how to uninstall this thing so I can hopefully reinstall it and fix the error. I rather not have my only solution be to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. Does anyone know the solution to this? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also tried uninstalling in safe mode, same thing happens where it says to stop the RAM disk first, but you aren't even allowed to load up the F-Stream Tuning Utility in safe mode.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: XFast RAM "Out of memory" error, can't uninstall

Interesting issue, I'm not sure if I have a quick fix for you, but we'll try to figure it out. I don't have your board, but use an ASR Z77 EX 4, and have used the RAMdisk.

I have the XFast RAM program installed, but noticed (at least with my board) that there is not a separate installation program for XFast RAM. XFast RAM also appears as a device in Device Manager. I checked your board's download page, and I don't see a separate listing for the XFast RAM program.

IMO, the XFast RAM program is installed as a part of the AXTU program (ASR Extreme Tuning Utility) on my board, which as you said is actually the F-Stream Tuning Utility on your board. Try stopping the XFast RAM drive, and then uninstall F-Stream. Check Programs and Features to see if XFast RAM is still there. If so, try to uninstall it, and reboot. The reboot is essential either way. If the XFast RAM program is still there after uninstalling F-Stream, you could try rebooting before uninstalling XFast RAM, which may be necessary.

Watch for the memory error of course, and after the reboot check Programs again, and Device Manager to see if it is still there.

Did you ever check your memory usage in Windows Resource Monitor, or something else, to see if you actually used up all of your memory?

I have checked my ram in task manager, no where near maxing it out and right after a reboot with 16gb I would hope that wasn't the case. Your suggestion of "stopping" it I'm unclear on, hitting stop in the f-stream tuning utility just causes it to give the out of memory error (the dialog's title has AsrRamDisk if that's of any help) and the utility hangs there waiting for some kind of confirmation that never comes, rebooting seems to have no effect as the ram disk is created again. So something is really broken far as i can tell when I'm told to stop the ram disk by the uninstall option for it in the programs listing before I can uninstall it but attempting to stop it via the utility produces the error and no action is taken. Unless there's some alternative way to "stop" it that I'm unaware of I'm uncertain what to do. I'll try poking around a bit and see if I can uninstall the f-stream utility and see if that does anything or if there's something in the system startup i can disable so the ram disk doesnt get created. Thanks for your advice.

Sorry, got caught up in how it was installed, etc.

How much of the RAM disk is being used, and how much is free? Such as, when you Click Start -> Computer, it is listed as a system drive. I'm wondering if it won't let you stop it because something important is using it, which is causing the out of memory error. What do you use the RAM disk for? Try looking at the contents of the RAM Disk, meaning what files are in it? If you are running a program from it, that could stop you from stopping it.

Another potential way to stop it is in Device Manager. The RAM Disk is listed as a device there, in Storage controllers. Did you try to Disable it, by right clicking on it, etc?

Of course I'm not running the RAM Disk now, so I can't check, but can you find a process running for it in Task Manager? If so, I don't know if ending the process would be the same as stopping it, but could work.

I have the same problem with FM2A75 Pro4-M . I am running 64bit win7 HP. I have tried every possible options. Killed asrRd.exe in task manager, uninstaled AsRock Ram disk from device manager include drivers, reinstaled Axtu several times, but nothink seems hepls it. It still says "please stop AsRock ram disk and then uninstal" I donīt know what else I should do, what process to kill to by able uninstal AsRock Ram Disk. When I open Xfast Ram table in AXTU it says "Out of memory"

anyone guess ??

The usual way is to first run AXTU, and on the XFast RAM option screen, click Stop. You should see a barely visible message stating it is stopping. You then must restart the PC to finish stopping it. I would also definitely uncheck the Backup option First, if you are using it.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The usual way is to first run AXTU, and on the XFast RAM option screen, click Stop. You should see a barely visible message stating it is stopping. You then must restart the PC to finish stopping it. I would also definitely uncheck the Backup option First, if you are using it.
    When you try to stop it in AXTU itīs not working. Instead pop-up window tells you "out of memory".

Has anyone been able to figure this out? I'm now wanting to get this off of my computer & it won't let me do it. I don't see a definitive answer here & wondering if any of you figured this out?

My version isn't thru AXTU, it's a program all on it's own. It's stopped so that is not the error I'm getting. It just keeps telling me to reboot which does absolutely nothing.

Very, very interesting you experienced this with a Windows 7 update! This has got to be my problem! I just recently had a 7 update that jazzed up some stuff for me too.
    Last edited by 2lalaland; 06-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2lalaland View Post
    Has anyone been able to figure this out? I'm now wanting to get this off of my computer & it won't let me do it. I don't see a definitive answer here & wondering if any of you figured this out?

My version isn't thru AXTU, it's a program all on it's own. It's stopped so that is not the error I'm getting. It just keeps telling me to reboot which does absolutely nothing.

Very, very interesting you experienced this with a Windows 7 update! This has got to be my problem! I just recently had a 7 update that jazzed up some stuff for me too.
    Well, your PC hardware is still a mystery, we don't even know what mother board you have. I've also never seen XFast RAM as a standalone program that you can download by itself. Yes it appears as a single program would be in Programs and Features, but is normally bundled with something else, AXTU or A-Tuning, since they provide the UI for it. Otherwise, how would you run or stop it, through what interface?

Regardless, have you found the Device Manager entry for XFast RAM? It's under Storage Controllers. Try this, on the Driver tab, click Disable. If that completes successfully, you may have a chance at uninstalling it

Frankly, since the XFast RAM feature is always run from AXTU or A-Tuning, those programs may not be designed to function correctly without it. Which is why it won't uninstall.

Hi, Parsec, thanks for your consideration. I am sorry I still haven't set up my profile. I have a lot on my plate right now as I'm getting ready to move in a couple days. 970 Extreme4.

Just like I said, my Xfast ram is a stand alone program. Different than what you see in the you tube videos etc. It's not part of axtu for me. I am wondering if they set it up that way so we don't have to have it?

I am moving by my brother that knows a lot about this sort of stuff & I am going to get him to help me after I move. This is quite a move so if you don't hear back from me, you know what is going on & not sloughing off.

I still find this extremely interesting that the OP started having issues after a 7 update. That is where all my problems started. My bro is a certified Windows guy doing networking & whatnot. I am hoping he will be able to help me out. I haven't talked to him about this yet. I thought I'd wait til after the move. If I come up with anything when I get home, I will let you know. I will still be watching these threads in the meantime if someone can come up with an answer.

Right now, I am going to just leave everything as it stands. After taking off xfast lan, my computer creeped along multitasking. Probably still in the registry. I just don't have time to monkey around right now. A couple a days ago I had more time on my hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information