Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z77 Extreme6/TB4 Device Error

Phoots is offline Junior Member

Default ASRock Z77 Extreme6/TB4 Device Error

I recently just purchased this mother board along with new memory a new processor and Windows 8 as an upgrade to my existing PC.

Unfortunately now that I've installed everything and was up and running I've come into a mysterious issue involving a PnP device that is not running the proper driver. At least that is what is listed in device manager, when I look further into this unsupported device that can not find any driver on the internet for it states that it is an "unknown device on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System."

For one, I have no idea what that means. Now I've done several things to try to fix the issue. I slowly removed components from the PC and rebooted each time monitoring the device manager to see if it went away. First I removed all USB internal connection to my cases 4 exterior usb ports, I removed the cases audio head phone jack from the mother board, I removed the DVD drive, then I removed the HDD, the only thing remaining is the SSD (OS installed on it) and the video card.

My memory (2x8gb sticks totaling 16GB) is fully recognized and seems to be working correctly.

I updated the UEFI (BIOS) from version 1.40 (default bios version) to 1.80.

I installed all latest drivers for the mother board from Asrocks site. All installed well except the SATA driver which crashed windows when updating.

So far the only thing I could possibly think that is causing this issue is the SATA ports or the ThunderBolt ports (which I have not used yet)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme6/TB4 Device Error

<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Nothing unknown listed in Device Manager?</span>
    OK, I see that it does appear in Dev Mgr. Follow along with the below. Sorry for the confusion.

If there is, click it's Properties, click on the Details tab, click on Device Description and choose the one immediately under that one, Hardware Ids and you'll be presented with the box that will show something like "PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91A0&SUBSYS_91A01849&REV_12" and possibly other lines too. Please post all the data/lines shown in the box. Knowing this info allow it's identity.

Or there's "Unknown Device Identifier" that although I always do it the above method will perform the same task. Never used UDI but always kept a link for times that it might have proved useful beyond how I normally search for what is unknown
    Last edited by - wardog -; 12-22-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Corrected a senior moment on my part
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Yes there is an "Unknown device" in device manager. I'm currently not near my PC (at work) but will update this thread with what you had mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoots View Post
    Yes there is an "Unknown device" in device manager. I'm currently not near my PC (at work) but will update this thread with what you had mentioned.
    Yea. Again sorry for that senior moment. See that I corrected my post with "OK, I see that it does appear in Dev Mgr. Follow along with the below. Sorry for the confusion."
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thank you wardog for taking the time in helping me out!

I thought I had solved this by installing Intel's Smart Connect, unfortunately I did not. The culprit is back and worse then ever. If I try to install any of these drivers from Asrock's site Windows crashes in the middle of the installation; USB3 Host Driver, Lan Driver, or the SATA Driver.

This is te information you asked me to post:

Once logged on to Windows, I get this error: USB device not recognized The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Going to Device manager I see Other devices with "Unknown device" with an exclamation point next to it.

When selecting that and going to properties I see:
    Device Type: Other devices
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Device status:
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

When I go to Details I get:
    USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

Physical Device Object Name:
    \Device\USBPDO-7
    Last edited by Phoots; 12-22-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Are you using a self/bus-powered USB hard drive there?

In Device Manager under Disk Drives, or possibly Portable Devices, do you show a phantom USB drive/flash that isn't now physically connected?

If you do show a phantom/disconnected drive, right click on it and select Uninstall.

And sorry. My descriptions above are while I am using Windows 7. Windows 8 I don't believe is any different.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 12-22-2012 at 08:40 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Assuming that your problem is a USB issue, I discovered something when checking your boards download page for Windows 7 and 8. This also applies to my Z77 EX 4 board. I don't know if this explains your problem, but is worth checking. Some background first.

Your board has two sources of USB 3.0 support, one from the Intel Z77 chipset, the other from the Etron USB 3.0 chip (my board uses an ASMedia USB 3.0 chip.)

On your boards Windows 7 download page, there is an Intel USB 3.0 driver that must be installed, same for my board. There are also drivers for the Etron or ASMedia USB 3.0 chips.

On you boards Windows 8 download page, no driver for the Intel USB 3.0 interface is listed, same for my board. I checked a few of Intel's own Z77 boards, for Windows 8 drivers, and no USB 3.0 driver for the Z77 is listed.

We know that Windows 7 supplies its own drivers for various things, like USB 2.0, a SATA AHCI driver, simple video driver, etc. Windows 8 obviously does this too. The question is does Windows 8 supply a USB 3.0 driver that works with the Intel Z77 chipset? That seems to be the implication, given the lack of an Intel USB 3.0 driver on the Windows 8 download pages I mentioned. If the driver exists in Win 8, perhaps it has a bug.

On my ASR Z77 board, with Window 7 and the Intel USB 3.0 driver, and ASMedia USB 3.0 driver both installed, I see this in Device Manager:

ASRock Z77 Extreme6/TB4 Device Error-win7-z77-usb-png

Do you have anything similar to this in your Device Manager listing? A Microsoft USB 3.0 driver may cause the name of the device to be different, but you should see a similar number of devices.

Another possibility is that the Etron USB 3.0 driver supposedly compatible with Windows 8, is not, or has a bug. Any idea which USB 3.0 ports that are causing problems are provided by the Intel or Etron chips?

EDIT: Correction, as pointed out to me by wardog, your board has the ASMedia USB3.0 chip, not the Etron. FWIW, I believe some Win 8 users have had issues with the ASMedia SATA chipset driver, so I wonder if that also applies to the ASMedia USB 3.0 driver?
    Last edited by parsec; 12-23-2012 at 01:50 AM.

I found out, through lots of tests, that the problems with the drivers and the USB error I receive is totally separate.

The drivers I listed above seem to have some issue with Windows 8 and from what I have been experiencing Windows doesn't know how to handle the fact that there is an issue with the driver and freezes up/crashes. If only I could get the drivers themselves instead of an installation package, that would seriously help out on this issue!

Now the other issue, and the thing that is causing my USB issue is a multi-card reader assigned to a USB port. I have this attached to the front of the case and I just shoved it into one of the Internal USB ports (Port 7) and didn't realize it, I thought it was just another front panel USB port. Unfortunately this Rosewill multi-card reader apparently isn't supported with either the mother board or Windows 8, hell maybe even both. Once I unplugged the reader it all seemed to work flawlessly.

I did get another crash, even after all this when I installed software to my mouse Logitech G500, funny thing is all I was installing was simple software to control the mouses buttons. I had installed 2 seperate software packs, but logitechs website made no mention not to install both. Instead of just giving an error or anything, Windows just froze, again!

I guess windows 8 is a little sensitive with the things you install on it are!

My only concern is with future installations of drivers that I may need for the mother board. I hope it all gets ironed out a little later, but for now I have to live with the versions Microsoft supplies me.

As for the Universal Serial Bus Controller listed (I can't currently post screen shots) but I see this for the first listing:
    ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 (Microsoft)

All other listings are identical to what you have, they seem to work well, so I won't sweat it if I can't update them.

Parsec, thank you for your help, and directing me to find out that indeed there are issues with the drivers supplied for the board and Win 8!

Wardog, thank you for your help, if it wasn't for you I cwouldn't have taken a closer look at my external USB ports and found out that they had media cards outputs on them, which is what was causing the issue.
    Last edited by Phoots; 12-23-2012 at 08:25 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad you found the problem, even if you can't get that card reader working.

What's strange is it sounds like the card reader is USB 2.0, but does it have a standard USB external port connector, or the internal type you would connect to the mobo for USB ports on a PC case? Seems weird to me.

Phoots, now that you know what to look for when it burps next time, try connecting it while your computer is powered down then fire the computer up. Odd are it will function from then on.

Then again, it's a Rosewill so maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What's strange is it sounds like the card reader is USB 2.0, but does it have a standard USB external port connector, or the internal type you would connect to the mobo for USB ports on a PC case? Seems weird to me.
    External, from reader to std case USB outlet.

From behind the four USB 2.0 front/top accessible outlets, inside the case these four front/top outlets employ two std USB 2.0 9pin(dual usb) cables that connect to the MB.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/uplo..._Languages.pdf <- pg13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information