Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with SSD Boot failure OR BSOD after boot...50% of the time, YIKES!

Default Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with SSD Boot failure OR BSOD after boot...50% of the time, YIKES!

Upon OS bootup 50% of the time it will come up with "Please insert proper boot media and then press ENTER" .
    Other times it will boot with no errors and will then freeze and return to BSOD and code is Hard drive is missing shortly after boot.
    Other times will boot and no errors for several minutes even during stressful benchmarking it will still be OK.
    I updated flash from P2.20 to P2.50 and this did nothing, I contacted OCZ and reflashed firmware for SSD and that also did nothing and they believe it's a Motherboard issue.
    Bios has Sata drive set to SSD and AHCI enabled.
    Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated as this is a Christmas present.and after building close to 20 different PC's this is the first time I have had an issue where I think it is the motherboard, aside from AR Engineering sending me a custom flash to activate Turbo 50 about a year ago, when it would stay grey and not let me choose it.
    I'm really out of guesses here and can only RMA one component, so which one should it be, or is it something else??

Thanks for your reply!

CPU= i7 2600k
    Ram= 16GB pc3 12800
    SSD= OCZ Vertex3 240GB
    Last edited by HighRise; 12-23-2012 at 05:09 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with SSD Boot failure OR BSOD after boot...50% of the time, YIKES!

IMO, if you only used the Vertex 3 as your OS drive on this board, you can't conclude it is the boards fault.

I have two of these boards now in two PCs, and have used SSDs only as the OS drives, and have never had the problems you are having. I've used Intel 520s in RAID 0, Vertex 4's in RAID 0, and recently a Samsung 840 Pro with this board, using Intel IRST drivers (always RAID mode, even for single drives), without any BSODs. I'm not implying AHCI is the issue, no reason for that. You're not using the ASMedia SATA interface given your description, which is good.

Have you used Vertex 3's in the past? I imagine you know the history of the Vertex 3, and the SandForce controller's firmware problems. Your symptoms are classic Vertex 3 issues, IMO. The latest firmware for the Vertex 3 is 2.25, released in early October, 2012. Is that what you have now?

Other things I have found that may help:

Setting the Windows Power Plan to High Performance, and in the Advanced options, setting "Turn off Hard Drive after" to Never.

Do not have Aggressive SATA Link Power Management enabled, it is by default, I always have it Disabled.

If you use the Fast Boot option in the UEFI, I have found it is erratic, and does not work well. I have it Disabled, and the boot is faster IMO.

The SATA data and power cables are important for SSDs, loose cables are common and cause problems. SSDs actually use more power than people think, but for very short periods of time, repeated bursts particularly when the OS is booting. If the SSD is on a power cable shared with other drives, etc, try an unshared connection, or shared with fewer things.

The OS and SATA drivers you are using would be good to know.

Kornivsky is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with SSD Boot failure OR BSOD after boot...50% of the time, YIKES!

Man,if you flashed bios,you need to restart CMOS,after first time you started windows...
    Try rr CMOS.

Wwow, thanks for the replies guys.

I tried updating the SSD f/w and it says Update rejected by device. It downloads fine, but will not update the f/w. I tried removing power from the drive, and doing again and it fails.
    I tried erasing the drive, and putting OS back on to your settings, and clipping Aggressive power link management, still fails.
    SATA drivers are stock drivers off the Asrock CD and windows says they are up to date.
    I have not tried running in RAID, what Raid config should I use for a single drive, Raid 0?
    Is my failing the update a sign of the SSD being defective?

Thanks for all the Great Tips, much appreciated!!
    Last edited by HighRise; 12-24-2012 at 12:46 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting you should use RAID mode, that was just an example of a more complex configuration of SSDs that works fine on this board. If you installed your OS in AHCI or IDE mode, you just can't change to RAID mode, or the PC will BSOD when it boots. Changing to RAID mode is not a fix.

Question, when you installed Windows 7 on the Vertex 3, did you have any other SSDs or HDDs connected to the PC? If so, Windows 7 has a bad habit of putting the MBR on another drive, rather than the true OS drive. If you removed that other drive, the PC won't boot at all. I'm wondering if the MBR is on a HDD, and since the Vertex 3 being a SSD, starts up much faster, is ready and starts before the HDD is up and running. This is just an idea, not a certainty.

The firmware update process must be done exactly right, or won't work. The OCZ toolbox version for you Vertex 3 will display what firmware you have now. Do you know which version you have? The update rejected is not necessarily a sign of a bad drive, many other reasons could cause that.

The download page for your SSD's firmware update states this:

*CURRENT FIRMWARE RELEASE is v2.25

Updating the firmware from the toolbox is not supported when Windows is running off the drive you are trying to update.

-Toolbox will not update a primary system drive (e.g. drive letter "C:"). You must run Windows from another drive and then update your SSD using Toolbox.

Which is here: OCZ Technology

You can't update the firmware on a Vertex 3 that is the PC's boot drive.

Any chance you are using the two gray ASMedia SATA chipset ports, at the top of the stack of ports as you look at the board mounted in a case? If so, you should change to the gray Intel SATA ports that are next to the black Intel SATA II ports.

Chozo4 is offline Junior Member

Question Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with SSD Boot failure OR BSOD after boot...50% of the time, YIKES!

Just curious but is the SSD/Drive connected over Sata3?

I'd noticed a similar issue as well on my board (960gm-u3s3) but was connecting a SATA2 drive to the Sata3 header so that I could simply disable the Sata1/2 through the bios. Half the time it would simply indicate no boot device when booting as a result of 'not detecting the drive' as well but was resolved when I simply tossed the drive onto Sata2 instead. Perhaps it's an issue with the ASMedia Sata3 controller perchance? Have a feeling it may not be waiting long enough for the drive to become 'ready'.

I noticed your board has Sata3 connectors by both Intel AND ASMedia... have you tried connecting the drive to the Intel ports rather than the ones by ASMedia and seeing if the problem persists?
    Last edited by Chozo4; 12-27-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    PC: 'Scarab' - Model#'s+More
    ...Sometimes I'm scatterbrained and have trouble collecting my thoughts in a post.

Just wanted to let you know SSD's at V2.20. I did not try the other SATA port, as I don't want to use it as a SataII but NOw I see that we could have used that port to troubleshoot and know if it was a ASMedia device. I RMA'd the SSD as I had it erased and no OS on it and it still failed the f/w update, right there I threw the towel in as it should have updated in my opinion. It's on Sata 0_0 which is what Asrock recommended for the OS drive on Sata III the other 2 were SataII and stated for slower devices.

Thread Information