Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PC Build w/z77 Extreme 4 Mobo. Can't install GTX 660 ti/reliably boot because of Error Code 93. Any ideas?

Thaao is offline Junior Member

Default First PC Build w/z77 Extreme 4 Mobo. Can't install GTX 660 ti/reliably boot because of Error Code 93. Any ideas?

My build is as listed. Basically, everything's assembled but booting gets arbitrarily stymied about half the time an external device is plugged into the motherboard. A USB keyboard, a monitor via a VGA cable, a USB hub, etc. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't.

It also never boots when I have my GTX 660 Ti plugged in to either PCI-e slot.

Regardless, whenever it doesn't boot, error code 93 on the Dr. Debug LED shows up. The fans spin, mobo lights up, even the video card gets lit, but bupkiss beyond that.

The manual suggests that it's stuck on the PCI Bus Hot Plug Controller Initialization but I haven't found any fix for the problem. I've been able to get Windows 7 loaded, and am using the onboard video out but am really hoping to get the 660 Ti installed and cooking ASAP.

So, any ideas? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Kornivsky is offline Junior Member

Default Re: First PC Build w/z77 Extreme 4 Mobo. Can't install GTX 660 ti/reliably boot because of Error Code 93. Any ideas?

Try to boot,when your PC is not standing,but laying on ground.
    Tell me,how it goes. Might be,that mobo can't handle your GTX 660 ti weight and it goes somehow wrong...

Default Re: First PC Build w/z77 Extreme 4 Mobo. Can't install GTX 660 ti/reliably boot because of Error Code 93. Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. However, no dice. I took me two more reboots/unplugging the keyboard and mouse to get it up and running again.

Any ideas?

I'd employ process of elimination. Start by unplugging the usb hub and try. Start up?

Like the error states, hot plug. That to me just screams you possibly have an incompatible usb device plugged in during boot. Hence the above idea of process of elimination.

"A USB keyboard, a monitor via a VGA cable, a USB hub, etc." Etc? That's a rather open ended etc for us to help troubleshoot with.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thanks for the guidance, I appreciate you trying to help. Sorry for not being clear, it's my first time building a PC so I'm - clearly - not that good at all this. *embarassed*

As you suggested, I have been trying to figure out what device could be causing the error by process of elimination. However, it remains arbitrary. Here are some scenarios that have all happened within a half hour of one another, with the only thing changing is what's been plugged in to the machine.

- It'll fail to boot/end up on error code 93 if anything's plugged in. Anything at all. Single keyboard or a single mouse or the USB hub to any of the USB ports(back of the mbo, front panel, 2.0 or 3.0) or a VGA cable to the onboard video out.
    - It'll successfully boot with all these things plugged in simultaneously. That is, the keyboard and mouse into the USB hub w/the VGA cable also plugged into the onboard video out.

That said, it's worked pretty consistently - 5 reboots, all the USB devices plugged in, no problems - over the past half hour. But, it's been so arbitrary/no solution has been applied to cause this new stability, so I don't think the problem has been fixed.

The one situation that is guaranteed to always make it hit error code 93 is having the graphics card plugged into the PCI-E slot. I've had the GTX 660Ti in w/nothing else plugged into the USB ports, and it won't get beyond error code 93.

I honestly have no idea what to do, this problem seems pretty specific and new all at once. So, any help you can provide would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance. ;)

What kind of computer case youre using? Really,maybe you connected something wrong,m?

I'm using the NZXT H2 Classic. It was a little complicated, but I think I got most everything properly plugged in. The only thing I haven't been able to get plugged in is one of the fan controllers, because one of the pins got a bit bent and I'm just not confident enough to try and straighten it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

I can work around unplugging the usb devices during start-up in the short term, if needed. My real priority is to get the GTX 660 Ti installed, but it just won't sit in either PCI-e slot without stalling out on the error code 93.

Again, any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks. ;)

Do you have only GTX 660 Ti? If you have somewhere another gpu,try to plug that inside. Let see,what happends.

Weirdness.

I'd say it's time to bench it outside the case with only the bare minimum attached.

Do you know how to perform this, and more so, are you comfortable in doing it?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaao View Post
    I can work around unplugging the usb devices during start-up in the short term, if needed. My real priority is to get the GTX 660 Ti installed,
    Uhhhh.......... If that represents your real priority here then IMHO your priorities need resync'd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information