Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 BIOS Ver. 2.30 killed my PC (error d6)

wtfh4xx is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 BIOS Ver. 2.30 killed my PC (error d6)

Parsec - The board will only flash a split moment of the UEFI splash screen which I had explained before. If I quit without saving changes it will attempt to boot windows which then crashes and again d6 error.
    Also yes I did Clear Cmos, every way possible in addition to hard reset with jumper set, battery removed, and power cord unplugged and left it that way overnight. Didnt make any difference.

I feel the biggest part of the problem everyone is experiencing is lack of clear instructions.
    You do not have a prompt say "UPDATE COMPLETE PLEASE RESTART" when the updates ARE NOT COMPLETE!
    This implies everything is finished and the USB stick may be removed.
    Admittedly I did remove the USB stick at this point after I hit the restart button, not wanting it to initialize another flash sequence.
    If they had a proper prompt stating "Firmware flash complete. Please restart to finish critical driver updates, do not remove the flash drive at this time" it would save countless people many hours of time and frustration and reduce the costs of their CS department.

However, as things stand I still feel Asrock is at fault and not the end users. After all I did follow their instructions accordingly, they failed to specify not to remove the drive and implied the update operations were complete.
    Luckily the Ebay seller I bought the bios chip from understood my situation and allowed me to exchange for a second BIOS chip with V1.30 which I am still waiting to receive and see if it fixes the situation.

I would still like Asrock to send me a v1.30 BIOS chip so that I may attempt to update to v2.30 again but not be without a pc (for what is now going on 2 weeks!) should it fail.
    Last edited by wtfh4xx; 12-28-2012 at 12:23 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

wtfh4xx, I certainly agree these important (no, how about absolutely critical) instructions should have been much more obvious. Also, as wardog pointed out in post #3, the warning does not appear with any BIOS version greater than 2.10, which is a major oversight on ASR's part IMO. Removing the USB flash drive when you did is not an unheard of procedure, such as when you install Windows from a USB flash drive, or even from a disk. If you don't, the installation can start over again.

Some feedback as you mentioned would be useful too, but adding that takes extra work, etc... just saying why it might not be done, not that it doesn't matter.

I just had a distressing thought... why would the following versions of the 2.10 BIOS, 2.20 and 2.30, not include the instructions, if that was not a mistake? How about if 2.20 and 2.30 do not include the IME firmware update, and whatever else is done in the major transitional update that 2.10 apparently is? Which would mean that 2.10 must be flashed, before anything beyond it can be, it is essential for any future BIOS updates. So, skipping 2.10 to 2.30, for example, will cause the issues you and others have.

That is just a theory, I do not know if that is correct whatsoever!

@JPP, and kick: Did you flash to 2.10 from whatever you had earlier, or did you flash directly to 2.20 or 2.30, skipping 2.10? Hopefully your answer will give us some insight into this.

PLEASE feel free to shoot my theory down, I don't really want it to be right, but if true it would kinda explain a few things. It would also be a major communication error, we take for granted that no language barrier exists, but it can happen, no offense to anyone, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

JPP is offline Junior Member

It's a good theory Parsec, and you may be on to something!

I flashed to 2.10 when it was released, then 2.20 on release, and again the same with 2.30.

kick is offline Senior Member

bios progression:
    1.30 ,variations of 1.4x betas,1.60,1.80 then 2.10. I havent tried 2.2 or 2.3 as its not listed for my board.
    procedure was the from a usb stick.
    2.10 came as an application tho with seperate folders for the new axtu and win7 64 intel engine management components for later installation
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

wtfh4xx is offline Junior Member

Interesting that the ones who are successfully running 2.30 seem to all have installed 2.10 first.

My new BIOS chip came with v1.30 and thankfully restored my pc to working condition. However in addition to losing all my overclocked settings and saves, it seems the event also corrupted the boot sequence of windows platform.
    Windows couldn't repair itself when i gave it the chance to and so I ended up doing a clean install.

If Asrock ends up replying to this thread when they get back to work on the 1'st, we can see if they'll send me a v1.30 bios chip so I can attempt to update directly to 2.30 while having a clean 1.30 to fall back on in case of failure.
    Id be more than happy to run this test to see if its possible to go directly from 1.30 to 2.30

Kinda sucks being stuck on version 1.xx BIOS knowing there's a nice EUFI and new features to have.
    However, it certainly doesn't suck as much as having a broken pc!

Also thanks to everyone for the replies to this thread, I am pleasantly surprised at the level of intellect and thought behind the posts here.

JPP and kick, thanks for the information, but IMO we cannot yet conclude my theory is correct (but it seems more like it is.) As kick pointed out, and as can be seen in the listing for BIOS 2.10, there are required software updates for IME, AXTU, etc, that are included in the 2.10 BIOS zip file download, according to kick. But how can anyone apply those updates if their PC won't boot, or the BIOS isn't working right?

But we also know that what was called an IME firmware update was a part of the 2.10 BIOS flash process (which is only done via Instant Flash, as are the subsequent BIOS versions, I asked about that earlier, but noticed recently that Instant Flash is the only method available, so the method being a potential cause does not apply.) This IME firmware update is apparently unique to 2.10, and if that is not applied, the result is a non-functioning PC after 2.20 or 2.30 are flashed, as wtfh4xx and others have experienced. That of course is part of the whole problem.

wtfh4xx, while we appreciate that you are willing to experiment on your PC, flashing to 2.30 again, I wonder if that would again corrupt your Windows installation, as you said you discovered after using the new CMOS chip with 1.30. I will not encourage you to do that, given the potential outcome. But, you may do whatever you want to of course, and I would be interested to know if 2.10 is a required update. I don't think I would do that to myself, but some people do not mind doing OS installations, and the rest.

Also, thanks for you comment wtfh4xx! Your first post was not simply a "... my PC is broke, what's wrong..." post, and was clear, detailed, and made sense. Plus, you know what you are doing. That is the kind of post that deserves some help. I've also been following this issue for a while now, and this thread became the first breakthrough about what the problem (apparently) really is, and why.
    Last edited by parsec; 12-29-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Strayan is offline Junior Member

Currently, the 2.10 BIOS zip file (3.7MB) does not contain the AXTU or IME or VGA updates.

So the question is, if you want to update BIOS from, say, P1.30 (as I do), to 2.10, do you first need to update the IME, AXTU and VGA drivers and utils (which represents around 200MB of downloads)?

Asrock really should have made the sequencing for this update clearer.

And moreover, since I run a Sandy Bridge CPU and will never go to IB, is there any point? (I am not an overclocker either)

The answer to your first question is probably no, since you will not be getting any of the Ivy Bridge features with a Sandy Bridge CPU. Even if you were using an IB CPU, all you would not have would be some features, until you loaded the drivers. The OP seemed to say that the 1.30 BIOS is not the GUI-type of BIOS, is that correct? If so, you would gain the GUI interface for your BIOS, if that matters to you.

I'm still not clear on all this, given this statement from your boards BIOS download page, in the 2.10 entry:

To support Intel's 3rd Generation (Ivy Bridge) CPU, corresponding BIOS and drivers update are required.

Which implies you don't need these driver for a Sandy Bridge CPU. But the 2.10 BIOS update updates the IME firmware, for Ivy Bridge use, so are the new drivers required for SB CPUs after the update to 2.10?

You may not be able to load the IME driver before updating to 2.10, as it may not be compatible.

The more I think about this, the more confusing it gets. To me, the download amount is not an issue, but it may be for you.

I really wish ASR would clear this up. ALL mother board manufactures must be in the same situation more or less, with these boards. Yet the instructions I've seen are different. I need to check that again... Sorry if this does not answer your question...

Hi All,

Had a similar issue, here what I did to get it up again,

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post447082

Cheers

Strayan is offline Junior Member

What a mess. Hoping for more than this from Asrock. Will now abandon BIOS update.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information