Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 BIOS Ver. 2.30 killed my PC (error d6)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 BIOS Ver. 2.30 killed my PC (error d6)

I checked Intel's site to see what BIOS update procedure they have to allow IB CPUs to be used on their own SB mother boards, and I looked at one of their Z68 boards.

It is generally similar to the ASR method, and has the same constraint. Once changing to the IB support BIOS, which includes the IME firmware (not driver) update, you cannot change to an earlier BIOS. This is Intel's description of that:

Warning:
    BIOS version 2161 includes support for future 22nm processors. Due to structural changes in this BIOS version, once a board has been converted to this version or later, it will no longer be possible to downgrade the BIOS to version 2111 or earlier. Attempting a BIOS downgrade to a previous version may fail – the board BIOS will remain at its current version.

Intel also has a document that will (supposedly) help you decide what needs to be done for one of their boards, given various scenarios. View that here: Desktop Boards — Updating the BIOS to support 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

I still find ambiguities in this, but the document refers to the "Transition BIOS" version, need for IB CPU support.

The strange part of their little algorithm is what you do if you are NOT using an IB CPU in their Z68 board. In that case they say update to the "latest BIOS version", the end. No mention of the special Transition BIOS (2161) at all, or need for driver updates, etc.

I looked at the BIOS updates beyond 2161, and they all mention needing 2161 for IB CPU support. I also noticed that almost all of the BIOS updates for this board contain an IME firmware update. The update instructions do not require the USB flash drive to be left in the PC after the restart following the BIOS update, they actually tell you to remove it. I'm NOT saying to do that with ASR boards, just an interesting difference. For Intel, an IME firmware update seems to be no big deal.

But the worst part of all this is the situation when using SB CPUs on the Intel or ASR board. Apparently, according to Intel's guide I posted the link to, their board does NOT require the Transition BIOS to be applied to the board when using SB CPUs.

Comparing Intel's own BIOS updates and update methods for their Z68 boards, with those of ASR may not be valid at all. I hoped to find some answers, but I don't think I did.

Now I'm going back to the idea that performing the BIOS update itself correctly is what matters, and not that the transition BIOS must be applied. But, I'm still not sure, except that I know I'm just throwing more wood on the confusion fire...

Strayan is offline Junior Member

Parsec, agreed, it's an opaque situation.

Asrock needs to create a decision and action flowchart like the one here
    Desktop Boards — Updating the BIOS to support 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

Until they do, anyone running an 1155 Asrock mb with a SB cpu is advised to hold off.

Some questions

Strayan, That's it, in all its glory!

Note that some of that flowchart is to determine if an Intel board can be used with an IB CPU. But we also see something else, actually two things.

There is a 3rd Gen-Transition BIOS, and a 3rd Gen-Ready BIOS, 3rd Gen meaning an Ivy Bridge CPU.

The sequence is flash to 3rd Gen-Transition BIOS, and then flash to the 3rd Gen-Ready BIOS. This is all done with a 2nd Gen, or Sandy Bridge, CPU installed.

Then there is an IME firmware version check, which if fails, calls for a 3rd Gen-Ready BIOS flash, using the Intel boards Recovery Update message. It looks like the IME firmware update is part of the 3rd Gen-Ready BIOS update.

I have seen a similar BIOS update sequence for ASUS boards, although they do not provide clear instructions that what is being done is a multi-step process that then allows IB CPUs to be used in a SB board.

Back to ASR, given this information, it seems that ASR is combining the Transition and Ready BIOS updates into one update process, with the IME firmware update included. If true, not a bad idea IMO, but why not explain it better? It seems these manufactures think that more information means more confusion, or that most people are incapable of understanding what the steps are for, and why.

To answer (Ha!) your question Strayan, IMO you would not need the new drivers if you skip the 3rd Gen BIOS update, since you are still using a SB CPU. I did not see Intel stating those drivers should be updated after the change-to-IB BIOS updates, although I think that would be necessary.

Hey wtfh4xx, how about doing your test after all?

Yes, good explanation of the probable situation there, Parsec.

For safety's sake, I'll hold off doing anything until an actual living, breathing Asrock employee graces us with his/her presence and imparts a few golden words of wisdom.

Last edited by Strayan; 01-02-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: image censorship

Strayan, thanks, but I'm just going by what I can find and discover, I haven't done this myself, I put my P67 board in its box!

I thought that Intel, if anyone, would have the definitive instructions, but that's to simple. Boards use different BIOS sources, and the amount of things we don't know about is huge. Trying to keep everything simple is impossible. But given the underlying complexity, some explanation is needed, and as someone said earlier, would save the users and manufacture wasted time and grief.

FWIW, my ASUS P67 board seems to have a "transition BIOS" for IB CPUs. That version, 2302, has this information and instructions:

Sabertooth P67 BIOS 2302
    1. Improve system stability.
    2..Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
    3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- CPU Support

*Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC.

"Update Bios twice...", what does that do, update the IME firmware in the second step, or is it the "3rd Gen transition BIOS" and the "3rd Gen ready BIOS" update combined, more or less? They also don't mention any driver updates needed for IB CPU support, the same as Intel. I'm not saying that ASR is wrong about the driver updates, that make sense IMO.

Here's another interesting thing I discovered about the IME software, the version used on my ASR Z77 board. If you check the Windows Scheduled Tasks on that PC, you'll find this:

Task ISM-UpdateService-4e...-Logon Intel Corporation C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) ME FW Recovery Agent\bin\Bootstrap.exe --domain-id 4e... --caller winlogon-impersonate

(I edited out a string of distracting characters where you see ...) There are actually two entries like this, similar besides different options. Looks like an automatic update or recovery (?) program for IME. A later version of IME I installed changes the program that is run, but may do the same thing. The old commands were left behind, not disabled. I think I've seen this run when I first installed IME on a new OS installation. More mysterious IME... stuff. Does anyone have something similar on their Z68 or other Intel 6 series chipset PC?

parsec wrote "Looks like an automatic update or recovery (?) program for IME." ......... "I think I've seen this run when I first installed IME on a new OS installation."

In Task Scheduler, look at the "Triggers' tab for this command. Also, the "History' tab is disabled as default. If a trigger isn't apparent you can always enable History to maybe show the instances it runs. To enable History, on the main Task Scheduler pane, on the right, Enable All Tasks History.

THIS page offers some insight when comparing Description vs Original file name:
    (Ignore version and size as it may not be applicable to your installation)
    Code:
    File details
    File name: bootstrap.exe
    Publisher: Intel Corporation (verified)
    Name: Intel Services Manager
    Description: Intel Services Manager Launcher
    Version: 1.8.2.36564
    Size: 228.34 KB
    Original file name: UpdaterLauncher.exe
    That winlogon impersonate ditty at the end probably passes/provides security creds to the ISM service itself. Why I wouldn't know as I'd assume the service(s) would be a necessity for every user. These things are way above my pay grade.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    That winlogon impersonate ditty at the end probably passes/provides security creds to the ISM service itself. Why I wouldn't know as I'd assume the service(s) would be a necessity for every user. These things are way above my pay grade.
    Meh. THIS page explains why. Notify purposes. Probably tied to group policy.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

wardog, you're probably right. I didn't go into all the details which I didn't check anyway. Just wanted to throw this seemingly auto-update thing for IME out there.

Still nobody from Asrock here to answer this?

How long before they get back to work??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information