Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: FM2A85X Extreme6 Dual Channel Memory Issue

hardstatic is offline Junior Member

Question FM2A85X Extreme6 Dual Channel Memory Issue

Hi folks,

I recently put together a system using an FM2A85X Extreme6 mainboard and an AMD A10-5800K CPU. For the most part everything seems to be working quite well - with the exception of the memory. I'm using two 4GB sticks of Samsung DDR3-1600 and cannot get the BIOS to recognize modules put into either slots DDR3_B1 or DDR3_B2. If I put a stick in A1 and a stick in B1 the bios only sees the 4GB in A1. Same result with A2/B2.

Currently I have A1/A2 occupied and the BIOS sees all 8GB; however, in single channel mode at only 800 Mhz. If I put the memory in B1/B2 the system will not even post. I have repeated this process with some matched Corsair DDR3 with identical results. I have ran through some of the basic troubleshooting tips (i.e. reset CMOS, upgraded the BIOS from 1.40 to 1.60) to no effect.

The only devices I have attached to the board are two Seagate Barracuda 7200 drives in SATA, and a Lite-On optical drive also in SATA. I am using the onboard graphics for now. I have opened a ticked with ASRock and hope that by posting here I might get some additional insight. Of course an RMA is my last resort!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: FM2A85X Extreme6 Dual Channel Memory Issue

Two separate sets of memory exhibiting the same thing huh? That pretty much rules out not inserting them fully into B1 and B2.

IMO, short of RMA'ing the board or exchanging with the seller you should attempt to pull and re-seat the CPU in it's socket. And while you have the CPU out look that no pins on it are bent/missing.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

hardstatic is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Re: FM2A85X Extreme6 Dual Channel Memory Issue

Well i'll be damned, had two bent pins on the CPU. That teaches me for serving booze to my friend while he assembled this thing. Came right up in dual channel after I meticulously straightened the bent pins and re-seated. Thanks Wardog, what a great holiday gift!

Incidentally, I also had an issue with games running too fast. I know this sounds weird, but for example - the hero in Diablo 3 was simply running too fast and the game would begin to stutter and kind of lag in a sense. Ultimately it was unplayable. I did the following and it has fixed the issue:

1. Reinstalled the AMD on-board graphics drivers
    2. Forced memory speed to 1600 in the BIOS (took it off auto)
    3. Assigned 2GB to onboard graphics in the BIOS (took it off auto)

For whatever reason games are playing correctly now. My son is pretty stoked that his holiday gift is now functional!

Again, thank you sir for responding so quickly - really, REALLY helped me out here!

Thread Information