Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: oc only when I am gaming

tce is offline Junior Member

Default oc only when I am gaming

I currently have my ASrock z77 extreme 3 so that when I am gaming , it automatically overclocks to 4.5ghz with the cpu core voltage hovers around 1.3volts. In the past, all attempts to achieve higher clocks have failed. The only change I made to the bios is to have the multiplier set at 45, and let the turbo feature do the rest.

Which Bios voltage tweak do I need to change so that with a higher multiplier, I get higher cup voltages, that is higher than the current 1.3volts. I still want the automatic throttling feature to be employed.
    thanks
    tc

Default Re: oc only when I am gaming

Have you tried the overclocking utility, you should be able to bump up all the settings at once to say a 5-10 percent increase each time to see if you stay stable.

For gaming, overclocking is not going to give you any noticeable FPS, even between an AMD and Intel, gaming is not so dependent on CPU, its more the video card.

Does your card have a overclock utility or are you using onboard intel 4000.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Is your CPU voltage set to Manual, or Auto? You can also set CPU Load-Line Calibration to a higher level, and enable extra Turbo Voltage.

But as Odie said, a little higher OC of the CPU will not help with gaming, it's the video card that matters.

kick is offline Senior Member

You dont say.. whether 4.5 is stable or not, is that all the speed you want?
    As allways on the 2500 up to 4.4/4.5 on the 2500k with asrock 1.3 ish-1.37v will only get that hi , if you want 4.6-5.0ghz even for short duration reliably you will need 1.4v + thru the cpu.
    Use offset voltage try llc 3 and up to +..09 on offset.
    The IB cpu doesnt like to get that hi on speed.
    Temps will increase rapidly so be prepared for lots of fan noise from the temp controlled chassis and cpu fans once your cpu exceeds the preset temp.
    The performance goes up a lot in excess of 4.4 ..4.8 is a good compromise.. 5 ghz heats up too rapidly and gets too noisy for my taste
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

tce is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Have you tried the overclocking utility, you should be able to bump up all the settings at once to say a 5-10 percent increase each time to see if you stay stable.

For gaming, overclocking is not going to give you any noticeable FPS, even between an AMD and Intel, gaming is not so dependent on CPU, its more the video card.

Does your card have a overclock utility or are you using onboard intel 4000.
    Currently, the cpu on auto is very stable at 4.5, with no temperature increase to speak of. I am intrigued by the fact that as soon as I try to go to 4.6, I get a BSD. Because of my inexperience with all those Bios terms, I am not really sure how to tweak it so that I could try for 4.8. When I do a load test at 4.5, the cpu voltage jumps to 1.384. So I know that this particular cpu is very stable at 1.384-1.39 volts. I am assuming I should be able to play with the off set voltage so that it can receive a higher voltage when oc to a higher clock rate. I am also oc all 4 cores at the same time. I use this pc for games only, and at most it get one hour of gaming at any one time. Ambient temperature is also very good, since it's in the basement and the temperature never exceeds 70 degrees.
    tc

kick is offline Senior Member

oc only when I am gaming-alast-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by tce View Post
    Currently, the cpu on auto is very stable at 4.5, with no temperature increase to speak of. I am intrigued by the fact that as soon as I try to go to 4.6, I get a BSD. Because of my inexperience with all those Bios terms, I am not really sure how to tweak it so that I could try for 4.8. When I do a load test at 4.5, the cpu voltage jumps to 1.384. So I know that this particular cpu is very stable at 1.384-1.39 volts. I am assuming I should be able to play with the off set voltage so that it can receive a higher voltage when oc to a higher clock rate. I am also oc all 4 cores at the same time. I use this pc for games only, and at most it get one hour of gaming at any one time. Ambient temperature is also very good, since it's in the basement and the temperature never exceeds 70 degrees.
    tc
    On temps
    70f about 21C isnt really that cool,depending on where you live.
    Ill go for degrees C.
    18-22 is supposedly the comfy temp for people indoors,
    A comfy temp for overclocked pcs used for gaming would be as close to the lower value as possible,

For example lets say your pc is doing hardly anything at all, the cpu should be 7-10c warmer than the outside air.
    With for example a 750w psu, you want as much as possible of that power to maximise your components potential.for gaming n all that,but you also want it exausted out the back as heat ,like say a 500w fan room heater ..
    Over a period that should warm the room up a little.That wont help your overclock,as the outside air will warm up a little at least in the vicinity of the pc.
    If you use ac and the outlet is near the pc that wont matter.
    Its like there are 3 stages in your overclock.
    1.will get the pc to post and boot up.
    board ,cpu and memory temps at this point will be quite high as the power saving intel speedstep and all that stuff doesnt kick in until you have fully booted.
    You have to get to that point first.

2. Once into windows life is rosy ,cos its all about shutting down your cpu to minimum speed,applying power saving /cooler states and so on.
    POsting/booting, then.. testing

3. testing. even without our adjustable bios boards you can still tune the gx, by tune I mean overclock..
    For posting this doesnt make any difference as the cx card overclock isnt loaded,unless its a hrd overclock and the manufacturers wont go outside of a bootable range for that.Home gx card bios changes might.
    but for gaming you gotta test with both the gx and cpu clocked up..Thats why we dont use dellomatics right?

Spiky furry dice and the like,combined with a full cpu load arent representative of real overclock usage in mho.Unigine heaven combined with a cpu load program is more realistic.With those running you should be able to log into google(one window) for a little searching on "big jugs!, for your pottery hobby , at the same time.
    If any of those get "jerky", in terms of response your probably straining something.

The 2500k, its not that dissimilar to ooh say a c2d q8400 :).
    It will run like 1.08v for most usual windows messing around and temps wont vary much.. say 35c max off a 22c base without fans spinning up hi.

As mentioned abovea good gx oclock at 4.5 might provide enough of what you need.
    If your happy with that fine.

My 2500k, with a decent gx card clock needs a max v of approx 1.43 v for 4.6k.1.47 for 4.8kand 1.5 v for 5k. 4.4 doesnt need above 1.37
    I dont want to go 1.5 and above altho some have.Ive been on 1.47v for near 2 years ,:) higher than I would go on my "thicker" Q8400 cpu but the performace difference from 4.4-4.8 you can feel much more than from say 4.0-4.4 on i5 cpu speed.
    The 99.8 that the bclk defaults to ,specify 100.12 or 100.13 to remove that.
    Above 102 base clock doesnt work well in my experience.
    edit:
    To find out what voltages..increased turbo power.. off set voltages and qhat load line calibration you need..

Use your auto overclock settings to find out what the board applies .

By that I mean. from the bios screen your stable 4.5ghz auto,when you first set it..you cant see what the other settings are as it just says auto in a lot of the boxes.

To find out what the values are you need to boot into windows and read them from axtu both at idle and under load.
    Use other "board reading" programs such as cpuz etc to get as much auto setting info as you can.

The other thing is to go thru all your boards auto cpu overclock settings.
    Start off with default..load and save it.. boot into windows ,write down a table with all the info from axtu and other sources.

Then restart ,enter fi/bios and note all the cpu /board settings with default loaded .
    Next go to your first available auto overclock setting dunno what it is on your board 4.0?

load and save that boot into widows .. check all the new readings under idle and load ,restart again.THIS time when you enter bios ,some of the visible readings will have changed to the initial auto overclock values..write those down.
    Then set the next overclock..4.2?

and repeat the above steps all the way to your present max stable overclock which is 4.5?

Why do all this?..to get to know how the board applies higher values in stages to increase your cpu over clock.
    To get a feel for the voltage and power progression needed.
    To get 4.6 stable chances are you might only need a load line calibration adjustment to level 3. expecially if you leave the base clock at 100(which defaults to 99.8 when running)

4.6 wont work on my board/cpu,just like yours without some minor tweaks from the auto settings.
    4.8 needs a bit more work to maintain a slight memory overclock ,medium gx card overclock and a base clock of 100+ so that it really is running at 4800+ and not some almost 4800 speed.

5ghz+ is trickier .
    1. because there is no auto overclock base to work from and you have to enter all the figures manually.
    2.If you want 1.5v as an outside limit and 5ghz speed stable you ,sorry I mean I, have to loosen everything else . base clock 100mhz and no more,memory bang on standard and temps..at least on air cooling will get up around 80c on the cpu.
    5.1ghz needs 1.52v for me..and yah I did try that at one stage..(but all the other guys were doing it. probably wouldnt be a good defense if you wanted to return a blown cpu to intel :) )
    A decent psu with stable voltages is pretty important also.

Anyway on my cpu and board ,5ghz is doable ,but it gets hot fast when it is put under even moderate load .. which means lots of noise for me and that alone isnt worth it.
    The pic above.. 4.8 .it never gets that hot except when being benchmarked, and even with benchmarking and heavy load needs an hr or so to get to continuous noisy fans and mid 70c temps.
    4.5 is ok .
    Some people hit a wall at 4.3 or so not just on asrock boards.
    It could be to do with some cpu samples being better than others,but I think its more to do with the big max voltage/heat generated jump needed to get the next .1ghz once you get to the mid 4ghz area.
    Last edited by kick; 12-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information