Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme6 Video and hang issues

Default Re: Extreme6 Video and hang issues

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    No. For now stay at the bios you have flashed. For now.

Run two or three passes MemTest86+ (<-Link) on it and report back what the results are.

Also, you might try moving the mem to slots A2 and B2 and see if the Win7 install "takes'. Regardless, run MemTest86+ on them in whichever paired slots you use.
    OK - well this has been fun! I took your advice and tried to run the memory test, but I had a hard time getting the system on long enough to run longer than 60 seconds. So I broke it down. Took one stick and one slot at a time. Here is what I found out.

FYI - the memory is G.SKILL Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 (2 4GB CL9-9-9-24 1.25V). I don't think I should be worried about the CAS below, correct? Yes, I verified the memory with ASROCK website to confirm the compatibility prior to purchase.

FYI (2) - Slots 1/3 and 2/4 are combined for dual channel.

Stick 1 / Slot 1 - weird video before it could even get past 3% - if lucky.
    Stick 2 / Slot 1 - completed successfully. CAS: 9-9-9-28
    Stick 1 / Slot 2 - completed successfully. CAS: 9-9-9-28
    Stick 2 / Slot 2 - completed successfully. CAS: 9-9-9-28
    Stick 1 / Slot 3 - rebooted during start up and then had weird video before 2%
    Stick 2 / Slot 3 - completed successfully. CAS: 6-6-6-20
    Stick 1 / Slot 4 - weird video before 3%
    Stick 2 / Slot 4 - completed successfully. CAS: 6-6-6-20

This makes me believe that memory stick 1 is bad and I need to return the pair, and pretty certain the motherboard is good. Correct?

CAS: 6-6-6-20 ??

Weirdness. Unless those timing are programmed into SPD. What was the MHz in MemTest when they displayed 6-6-6, do you remember?

So slots 2/4 represent A2 and B2 correct? If so, as I asked above, install both sticks in A2 and B2 and retry. Those two slots are more "forgiving' of tight timings and or high MHz.

I can't rightfully say one stick is bad. It passed in Slot 2. Bad would be bad regardless of slot.

This appears more a compatibility issue. Try A2 and B2 together(both stick installed) and post back please.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    CAS: 6-6-6-20 ??

Weirdness. Unless those timing are programmed into SPD. What was the MHz in MemTest when they displayed 6-6-6, do you remember?

So slots 2/4 represent A2 and B2 correct? If so, as I asked above, install both sticks in A2 and B2 and retry. Those two slots are more "forgiving' of tight timings and or high MHz.

I can't rightfully say one stick is bad. It passed in Slot 2. Bad would be bad regardless of slot.

This appears more a compatibility issue. Try A2 and B2 together(both stick installed) and post back please.
    Interestingly enough, the only change that I saw was the CAS and the L2 Cache (I don't think that would impact it though). Has anyone seen a change in the CAS when testing a single stick individually in the memory slots on the same board? I have included the pic.

Correct to your question on slots 2/4 being A2/B2. But the interesting thing is that slots 3 & 4 had the 6-6-6 while 1 & 2 had the 9-9-9. The memory would couple 1 & 3 together and 2 & 4 together. Maybe the timing needs to be that way for the double channel to work. I have attached a picture for your review.

Other thing to keep in mind - the first memory stick only works in slot 2 everywhere else it fails either in seconds or minutes. This does not mean that it could be "stable" for any good period of time. I think it would be better to cut my loss and RMA. Do I want to have this hanging over my head and worry about it failing in the near future? Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images Extreme6 Video and hang issues-memory-compare-jpg 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information