Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 7 won't boot

Unhappy Windows 7 won't boot

So I recently purchased a bunch of parts before the holidays. I exicedly put the build together and got it up and running. This is the build that I had gotten.

[PCPartPicker part list](Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, NZXT Phantom (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker) / [Price breakdown by merchant](Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, NZXT Phantom (White) - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker) / [Benchmarks](Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, NZXT Phantom (White) - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker)
    Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU** | [Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor](Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (BX80637I53570K) - PCPartPicker) | $169.99 @ Microcenter
    **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2) - PCPartPicker) | $29.98 @ Amazon
    **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard](ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Z77 Extreme4) - PCPartPicker) | $129.98 @ Outlet PC
    **Memory** | [1 x G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR]
    **Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS) - PCPartPicker) | $64.99 @ NCIX US
    **Storage** | [Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk](Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (MKNSSDCR120GB) - PCPartPicker) | $104.99 @ Newegg
    **Video Card** | [Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card](Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (100351VXSR) - PCPartPicker) | $424.99 @ Newegg
    **Case** | [NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case](NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case (PHAN-001WT) - PCPartPicker) | $119.99 @ Newegg
    **Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply](Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (CX600) - PCPartPicker) | $49.99 @ Newegg
    **Optical Drive** | [Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer](Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer (IHAS324-98) - PCPartPicker) | $14.99 @ Newegg
    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)](Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (GFC-02050) - PCPartPicker) | $89.98 @ Outlet PC
    | | **Total**
    | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $1199.87
    | Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 16:02 EST-0500 |

I went to bed after a few hours of putting it together. I work up and went on it the following day. I booted it up and everything seemed normal. I got past the motherboard spash art and got stuck on the windows repair recovery screen. It said the normal, it wasn;t shut down properly and yada yada. So I highlighted the repair option only to find out that it goes from the "Windows is loading" at the bottom, to a big fat blue screen. I restarted it after that and chose the start windows normally this time. Instead of starting normal, it just restarted and brought me back to the same page. At this point windows 7 was already on my SSD.
    I figured i'd try to boot it up with the windows disc, so i popped the disc in, and booted up my pc with the disc. Same thing happened. "Windows is loading" at the bottom, "Starting windows" with a few dots of color from the flag, and then the bluescreen.
    I'm not sure what the problem is here. I think it could be the motherboard because I tried the SSD on another computer and windows 7 booted up fine.
    Last edited by saiek; 12-28-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Chozo4 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Windows 7 won't boot

Only thing I can figure is to verify you have the Sata Type set in the bios as needed (may have changed perhaps). Selecting AHCI for a boot drive that wasn't setup with AHCI prior to windows install will results in BSOD's on boot and endless reboots/failed 'system restores'. Conversely using IDE for an AHCI boot drive will result in similar results. Try using the other option in bios and seeing if that resolves the issue.
    PC: 'Scarab' - Model#'s+More
    ...Sometimes I'm scatterbrained and have trouble collecting my thoughts in a post.

I have my SSD running to the sata type 3, if that makes a difference or not. I tired it in 2 and it came back with the same results. I booted with AHCI and im not sure what i booted with prior, but what can I boot it with insteaed?

Chozo4 is offline Junior Member

Could try IDE mode for Sata if possible and see if the issue continues. Only other thing I could figure is a reinstall of the OS as using it in another system with different hardware would use different drivers essentially bypassing the original ones (but then you should have been able to boot using safemode regardless). Perhaps windows update borked while installing certain drivers (which it rarely does) or a failed update that modified the existing drivers.
    Last edited by Chozo4; 12-28-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    PC: 'Scarab' - Model#'s+More
    ...Sometimes I'm scatterbrained and have trouble collecting my thoughts in a post.

Is there any pertinent info displayed on the BSOD that you feel like sharing here? It might help to narrow down the cause.

And I never ever let Windows Update install hardware drivers!! Never.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Kornivsky is offline Junior Member

When you are @ hardware mode's on bios( ex. IDE to Sata), make sure you re-install your OS,after you do so.

Hey, you can follow the steps below to fix your Windows 7 boot problem:

Step 1: Insert a blank CD into your computer. Download and launch Windows Boot Genius on another workable computer and click "Burn". Only one click of mouse, you can finish burning a boot CD.

Step 2: This step is operated on the computer that won't boot up. Insert CD onto your computer. And set BIOS to boot your computer from CD, instead of hard drive. It will reboot automatically and access to the CD.

Step 3: Then you will load to system. Launch this program under Win PE. Select "Windows Rescue" to follow the built-in wizard to finish fixing booting problems.

Jimmy Jump is offline Junior Member

If and when your SSD boots into Windows7 just fine on "another computer" while it doesn't on your new build, then I'd suggest to re-install windows on your new build, if there's enough space on your SSD.
    Don't worry about the files of your earlier install, they'll get shifted to a "windows.old" folder when installing Win7 again...

Thread Information