Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Extreme 4 Gen 3-missing memory and XMP 1.3 Profiles-After flash BIOS

Default Extreme 4 Gen 3-missing memory and XMP 1.3 Profiles-After flash BIOS

Hi All,

My first post.

I am having some problems with my Asrock Extreme 4 gen 3 board rev G/A 1.02.

Everything was fine running on BIOS 2.20 and wanted to give ver 2.30 a try. The flash went fine but then I noticed that only half of my 4 x 4GB (16GB) DDR3 1866MHz G skill Sniper F3 14900 CL9D memory was being recognised on both the BIOS screen and in Win.

This was not the only problem:-

There was No XMP 1.3 profiles for memory in the BIOS (which used to have on 2.20) - choice of 1066 or 1333 (AUTO), neither is correct for my 1866.
    None of the overclocks can be applied and cpu multi is only available from 16 to 39 on my 2700K sandy
    Unable to set cpu multi any higher than 39 with or without turbo.

So at the present I am unable to overclock at all, and only half my ram is available - only 1 bank works at a time (2 x 4GB) - despite
    the fact that all memory slots work - switch them around in different configurations.

What I have tried:-

Can only flash version 2.30 or vers 2.20, now even 2.20 has missing XMP profiles and sees only 8 GB of memory where I have 16GB (4x4GB) physically on the board.
    Tried cmos reset, and battery out, loading defaults, all to no avail.

Appreciate any help guys.

Asrock tech support?

Cheers

Default Re: Extreme 4 Gen 3-missing memory and XMP 1.3 Profiles-After flash BIOS

By the way it is a Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 board

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Extreme 4 Gen 3-missing memory and XMP 1.3 Profiles-After flash BIOS

We've been seeing issues like this for a while now, it is related to the use of the Ivy Bridge CPU compatible BIOS on an otherwise all Sandy Bridge system like yours, Z68 board, and a SB CPU, i7-2700K.

First question, did you flash to BIOS 2.10 at some point? We have apparently learned that the first BIOS version that is the transition to the IB compatible BIOS is essential to apply, it does things that the later BIOS versions don't do. The main thing the 2.10 BIOS does is update the Intel IME firmware, and without that the result is what you are seeing, a screwy BIOS and other side affects.

Flashing to 2.10 is also a two step process, the USB flash drive must be left in the PC when it reboots after the BIOS flash, otherwise the IME firmware update does not happen or complete. Removing the USB drive early is a mistake, and the instructions only appear for BIOS 2.10.

Hi thank you for your inputs.

Yes I did flash to 2.1 earlier before the 2.2 was released. I cannot recall whether I left the USB stick in or not then. But my board was working fine then, i.e. I could see all my RAM, XMP profiles all a-ok.

I then flashed it to 2.2 when it was released, again the board was fine except that sometimes at rebooting the PC (say after a windows update) it would go into a loop about 3x and finally it would instruct me at the boot up screen to press F2 ...... etc etc, BUT eventually it was be OK and start normally.

Now with 2.3, I have lost half my RAM, lost Crossfire (only 1 of my 2 graphics card is recognised), cannot overclock, XMP profiles missing in the BIOS.

May I ask, what's my next step? I have reflashed it back to 2.2 currently, but the same symptoms exists. Should I try to flash 2,1 and leave the usb stick in?

thanks again

Hi All,

GOOD NEWS solved! here's what I have done for my case Z68 extreme4Gen3

Preparation: disconnect all my hard drives, didn't want to boot into windows as this is a BIOS issue not OS.

1. Get the z68extreme4_gen3_231a1.zip beta BIOS from this thread: **Official** Asrock Z68 Gen3 Extreme7 & Extreme4 thread - Page 33 Post #806

2. Also get ME_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v8.0.2.1410_1.5M).zi p from Asrock : Z68 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc.

3. Unzip (2) and (1) into a USB stick (formatted FAT32). Then proceed to flash to the Z68E4G32.31A BIOS using instant flash utility in the BIOS. DO NOT take out the usb stick during the reboot! On reboot it has to update the IME firmware as mentioned in the post above by parsec. It will take a couple of reboots to finish the process, be patient. I do not know if step 2 is required I suspect not, but I just had it in the usb stick just to be safe. Read post #813 of xtremesystems.

4. Once everything is good to go, then reflash to your BIOS ver of your choice, for my case I went back to 2.20, there's no IME firmware update process here, BUT I can now see all my 16GB of ram, XMP profiles, crossfire back.

Hope this helps someone else.
    cheers

Thread Information